Can somebody please help explain this to me? For a harmonic scale, you're supposed to raise the 7th. However, I don't see how I am supposed to do that. Example:

B Harmonic
Notes are: B C# D E F# G A B

How do I raise the 7th while keeping the W h W W h W W formula?

B to C# = W
C# to D = h
D to E = W
E to F# = W
F# to G = h

And this is where I get stuck. Am I supposed to sharp the A, or what? But, if I do that, it'll only be a half-step to B. So, I'm all confused.

If somebody can explain this, that'd be great.

Thanks.
your doing everything right, you can change the notes but keep the notes the same lol
Harmonic minor simply raises the 7th. So in B harmonic minor, you would have an A# instead of an A natural. When going into other variations of scales such as harmonic or melodic minor, the WHWWHWW formula obviously doesn't apply. Hope I made sense.
Because deep down, I know you want to:

My Youtube Channel

Constructive criticism is always welcomed.
you mean harmonic minor? well, if you raise the 7th, you CAN'T keep the WHWWHWW pattern. it becomes WHWWHAH (A being the augmented 2nd).

B harmonic minor is B C# D E F# G A# B.

WHWWHWW - natural minor
WHWWHAH - harmonic minor
Anfangen ist leicht, Beharren eine Kunst.
Quote by AeolianWolf
you mean harmonic minor? well, if you raise the 7th, you CAN'T keep the WHWWHWW pattern. it becomes WHWWHAH (A being the augmented 2nd).

B harmonic minor is B C# D E F# G A# B.

WHWWHWW - natural minor
WHWWHAH - harmonic minor

Thank you very much. That cleared it up a lot.

Thanks to everyone else as well.
There is no leading tone in natural minor so the entire essence of harmonic minor is that by raising the 7th you go from your formula
W h W W h W W
to
W h W W h (W+h) h

to get that half-step leading tone to the tonic to give you a strong resolution. Unfortunately, there is now a 1.5 step from 6th to the 7th so it is not very melodic going up, that's why there's a melodic minor for that too.
Last edited by KingStill at Sep 8, 2010,
imo it's better to just compare harmonic/melodic scales to the minor or major. Then while playing guitar you just play in minor how you have learned and just alter the note(s).

Minor is - 1 2 b3 4 5 b6 b7

Harmonic Minor you raise the 7th

so it is - 1 2 b3 4 5 b6 7

Melodic Minor you raise the 7th like harmonic, as well as the 6th

so it is - 1 2 b3 4 5 6 7

So either way you can work with the scales knowing only one note has changed - #7 in harmonic minor, and melodic you can see is really the major scale with a minor third), and as I said before work with them context altering the note when it comes up.

Then as you get more familiar with the strucutre of the scales, you can learn about their function, patterns you can use and how they work with chords.
Quote by Night
wtf is a selfie? is that like, touching yourself or something?