right i have £200-£300 MAX!!! to spend on an acoustic guitar.

curently ive got a les paul copy electric guitar, and a huge vox vt100 amp. not really practical for busking. so i am looking for a cheapish electro-acoustic guitar for busking round town. and then make some more money to get a new electric

must have/be:
a cutaway (to reach the higher frets)
electro acoustc (ie has a jack so i can plug it into an amp)

please give me any sugestions. and links to the guitars you talk about if you can.

cheers
I haven't tried the Hot Rod model, but I've tried the sunburst 300 CE and it sounded VERY nice. Very full sounding, not tinny or overpowering. I feel it sounded perfect.
Yes obeythepenguin is right. With your current budget better to settle for a pure acoustic one. You can use a detachable pickup anytime later and get a good quality one when you have more cash. Atleast the expensive part should be best quality and the rest can be added later.
if the OP needs a cutaway, at this price range that does mean electronics, too. unfortunately at this price, in most cases that means having to settle for a laminate top or an inferior guitar. my best suggestions -

yamaha FX370C - laminate top but yamaha quality finish, sound and hardware.
http://www.thomann.de/gb/yamaha_fx370c_na.htm

takamine EG320SC - solid top. not thrilled with cheaper tak's sound, but this is a viable option.

otherwise i'd recommend this fender
http://www.thomann.de/gb/fender_cd140sce_na.htm
as it has a solid top and i found it a pretty easy playing guitar.
Last edited by patticake at Sep 9, 2010,
ok so what about if i scrapped the electronics side of things? any sugestions then

would still need a cutaway though!
Quote by CV334

Sir, the contents of my mouth just blew all over my keyboard, desk, and part of my monitor. For the record, it was slightly chewed Keebler cookies and coffee slurry.

The average pitmonkey's response to my jokes.
cheers i'll take a look, i rekon i could bump up my price eange to £400 max, if that would help at all?
Quote by funny18
cheers i'll take a look, i rekon i could bump up my price eange to £400 max, if that would help at all?

If you can go to £400, then just wait or borrow until you can afford one of these:

Faith Eclipse Venus

All solid wood, cutaway, electronics, hard case AND...bloody nice sounding and playing.

I have the High Gloss version.

Look on Youtube Venus Natural . You wont ever need to buy another acoustic again.

If you are over 18 or have a friend/family member who can do it, you should look at the "Take It Away Scheme". Run by The Arts Council, you put down a deposit and then you can have from £200 to £2000 on 9 months Interest Free credit. Lots of decent stores do it and most will be able to get Faith guitars.

Not suggesting you splash out, but why spend almost the same on an inferior product and NOT get what you actually want. Put down £200 or so, and then £20 odd quid a month for 9 months...couldn't be easier.

Faith Guitars.com

Take It Away Scheme
Quote by Cal UK

...that's what Skeet always says anyway and he's a sex god.

Member of the official GB&C "Who to Listen to" list

I support Shay van Fani
I can supply WD Music, ABM and AllParts products to UK builders at DISCOUNTED prices!
Last edited by Skeet UK at Sep 10, 2010,
i've heard a lot of good things about the faith eclipse venus, and an all solid guitar does generally sound better than a solid top.

btw, imo you'd do best to skip the epiphones. they don't sound as good as brands like yamaha, seagull, blueridge, guild or walden, and their hardware, tone and build quality doesn't seem to be very consistent.
Quote by patticake
i've heard a lot of good things about the faith eclipse venus, and an all solid guitar does generally sound better than a solid top.

btw, imo you'd do best to skip the epiphones. they don't sound as good as brands like yamaha, seagull, blueridge, guild or walden, and their hardware, tone and build quality doesn't seem to be very consistent.

I usually suggest the Venus, because it is the cheaper of the full sized jobbies with cutaways (the Eclipse line are anyway).

The models are:

Mercury (Parlour)
Venus (GA Folk cutaway)
Saturn (Dread with cutaway)
Jupiter (Jumbo)

All come in Eclipse (Black lacquer with Maple binding), Natural and High Gloss flavours.

I know I go on about them, but I only generally recommend them to UK people, simply because in my opinion, and plenty of others...you can't really buy better for the money...or for considerably more money.

And, I know I bought one...but I could have bought what I wanted...including a J-200 Gibby, if I had really wanted to.

In the UK, for that money Faith tops the list, followed by Tanglewood (TW45-NSB etc), then probably Yamaha and so on.
Quote by Cal UK

I support Shay van Fani
I can supply WD Music, ABM and AllParts products to UK builders at DISCOUNTED prices!
Last edited by Skeet UK at Sep 10, 2010,
cheers, that faith one looks like the perfect guitar, will have to go play one now :P shame about the colour, but i will live, black isnt all that bad
Quote by funny18
cheers, that faith one looks like the perfect guitar, will have to go play one now :P shame about the colour, but i will live, black isnt all that bad

Where you live roughly?
Quote by Cal UK

I support Shay van Fani
Quote by patticake

But the black "Eclipse" series, are nearer to his price range.

Of course, if he goes for the Take It Away scheme...he can get any one he wants, but I would still recommend he stays near his budget..

That is "Natural", with Mahogany back and sides, Englemann Spruce top.

Eclipse has the same wood but is finished in black so will sound slightly different and I imagine, that under the finish, the wood isn't as nice...hence the lower price and lacquer...still sounds awesome though. The pictures don't do them justice...the black ones are still, totally beautiful and the maple binding really sets them off.

The High Gloss ones, are Rosewood.

I really should post some pics of mine up shouldn't I!
Quote by Cal UK

I support Shay van Fani
Last edited by Skeet UK at Sep 11, 2010,
i live in england cambridge, and yeah i just took another look at the eclipse ones, its a glossy black, so its not so bad at all. tbh i would be fine with black, i dont really mind what colour it is :P
Quote by funny18
i just need to go find £400 odd quid now :P

Did you look at the Take It Away thingy...I linked you etc. Could be useful.

Dealers

There is somebody in Oxford, not sure how near that is to you. Anyone who deals with Barnes and Mullins should be able to get them for you.
Quote by Cal UK

I support Shay van Fani
I just bought a Recording King RD 06 12 string and was blown away by the tone. Excellent sound and it didn't break the bank.