Page 1 of 2
I've been playing for a few weeks now and I think I'd consider myself a guitarist instead of just a "beginner" once I can play some songs smoothly. So, when did you consider yourself a guitarist and such?
When I was able to play a song competently all the way through without reading music.
Epiphone Dot
DIY Esquire w/Neovin Power Rock pickup
Vox AC30VR 212
Arion MTE-1 (LED clipping diodes added)
Vox Tonelab LE
Roland SDE1000 delay

Quote by DaMarsbarPerson
By high-gain I don't mean stupid stuff. I just mean styles like Motley Crue or Iron Maiden
Quote by idkputanamehere
when the moment came that i knew what i was doing

What were you doing?
when....

....shit, that's a tough one
Quote by asator
YOU'RE A CUNT AND STUFF LESPAUL1216.

It's okay because whatever, forever
Guitar - probably 2 or 3 years (into playing, so like 7ish years ago), when I got my first electric.
Drums - Only recently, I've had a drum set for about a year now but I wasn't very good.
Piano - I still don't consider myself a pianist, I never took lesson and only learned a couple songs by ear. yep
once i got used to using chords/power chords.
E-married to BlessedRebel15
Most Attractive Female 2011 ^^
Dark Black Rivers in the WinterTime
Quote by CrunchyRoll
I'm not sure if you're aware of this or not, but everything is against the rules at UG
I've never called myself a guitarist, strangely.

Probably because I'm playing guitar as a hobby and I don't want to be in a band.
Quote by ctb
I've never called myself a guitarist, strangely.

Probably because I'm playing guitar as a hobby and I don't want to be in a band.

This. I do want to be in a band, but I can't say I've ever said "yeah, I'm a guitarist"

I say "yeah, I play guitar, but I'm pretty shit...."

probably why I'm not in a band
"You're a twat!"- That dude in morrisons

"You Ugly git!" - That girl in the restaurant

"You Were a Mistake!" - Mum

just a few of my fans..

When I learned to shred!

But seriously, when I started writing good, original material.
When....

Hell I've been playing for 5 years and still don't consider myself a guitarist, not a very good one at least.
When i stopped worshipping people like MAB and malmsteen, i used to think speed made the guitarist. Arrogant and blind i was. I still think they are amazing guitarists but their music is so incredibly boring.
I think when I learned to hold the pick.That was very poweful.
Breakin` the Law!
I considered my self a pianist when I was about 14 and I got a Bronze Medal in performance. That really gave my musical confidence a boost.

Guitarist is an easy one. After my first lesson I came home and spent the week learning the chords to "Song for Ireland." From that week on, I was a guitarist.

By the time I bought my first drum kit, I was already good enough to play with other musicians, from playing other drum kits, so I would consider myself a drummer from the moment I set up the floor tom on my first kit.
I've been playing since '05 but I only now really consider myself a guitarist(as opposed to someone who can just play guitar) because I now have an alright understanding of music theory and how to improv
Proud follower of Åkerfeldtism

P S T F I N D E R

Quote by FFTLxx
Uhh there was this guy who didn't get any of the questions in some exam so he put 2 pencils in his nose and headbutted the desk.. and died.. that's pretty stupid.

when I started taking guitar lessons...? As far as I know guitarist means "someone who plays guitar" - nothing about skill.
Guitar beginner: First 6th months
Guitar Player: After six months
Guitarist: When you have played 10,000 hours.

Sounds kinda uptight, but I always thought that the term Guitarist should be reserved for people that know their instrument like their ABC's...

I've played for 2 years now AND have a massive ego, but would never call my self a guitarist yet.
Keep you doped with religion and sex and TV
And you think you're so clever and class less and free
But you're still fucking peasants as far as I can see

A working class hero is something to be.
Once my technique became passable, I considered myself a guitarist.

I'm not a shredder yet, but I can play/improvise a decent solo if I don't try too hard to push my "speed limit."
Last edited by TMF128 at Sep 8, 2010,
Quote by Epicbizzjizz
Guitar beginner: First 6th months
Guitar Player: After six months
Guitarist: When you have played 10,000 hours.

Sounds kinda uptight, but I always thought that the term Guitarist should be reserved for people that know their instrument like their ABC's...

I've played for 2 years now AND have a massive ego, but would never call my self a guitarist yet.

Guitarist is an adjective. It describes a person, and what they do. Guitar player is a phrase that acts as an adjective. They both mean the same thing. I just call all guitar players 'guitarists,' because that's the most accurate word.

I considered myself a guitarist when I learned a couple songs, and just wanted to keep learning.
I considered myself a guitarist when I learned how to play guitar. Maybe, 3-4 lessons? Then I watched lots of bass videos on YouTube and kind of imagined what it was like based on what I knew about guitar, so by the time I bought my first bass I already considered myself a bassist (though a rather mediocre one).
Quote by SlayingDragons

Guitarist is an adjective. It describes a person, and what they do. Guitar player is a phrase that acts as an adjective. They both mean the same thing. I just call all guitar players 'guitarists,' because that's the most accurate word.

I considered myself a guitarist when I learned a couple songs, and just wanted to keep learning.

You mean noun, right? You wouldn't say "I'm a guitarist person," you'd say "I'm a guitarist."
I'm rgrockr and I do not approve of this message.
Last edited by rgrockr at Sep 8, 2010,
When I first picked up a guitar and forced it into submission by sheer will alone.

Lol no, I'm a terrible guitar player.
I pride myself on my humility.
Quote by technicolour
when I started taking guitar lessons...? As far as I know guitarist means "someone who plays guitar" - nothing about skill.

This, except I didn't take any lessons.
Quote by lolmnt
We're better than Mexico cuz we rule USA USA USA
After the first year or so was when I considered myself an actual player. Not a very good one, but a guitarist none the less.
Call me Jack.
All that you love...
...you must love now.
My Gear:
PRS Custom 24
Standard MIM Tele
Larrivée LV-09E
Rivera Clubster 45 112 Combo Tube
Boss ME-20 Multi-effects pedal
Boss OC-3 Super octave pedal
My own home-made octave-up pedal
I've been playing guitar for almost two years now. Still taking lessons. I don't consider myself a 'musician' in that I don't have a job in a band or some such. Guitar is a hobby of mine along with playing too many computer games. Hanging out for Mass Effect 3 but that's off the topic.

I've frigged around with an electric bass a couple of times, purely for the hell of but would never call myself a bass player.
Just recently. I can't write or compose, but I can play most of what I want to play.
This is why I don't like arguing on the internet.
Quote by damian_91
If only you could back that statement up.
Quote by Zombee
Wolfgang's Philadelphia Study. Look it up yourself.
Quote by damian_91
No need to, absurd generalizations aren't my thing.
IMO, once 2 years rolls around, you've attempted getting a band together/joining, or you never really had a life during the first and your really good because of it. Until then, just say that you play guitar. your not a guitarist yet
Peavey XXX combo *upgraded screen resistors, Tung-Sol's, and 6L6's*
Schecter Syn Std. * modded, scalloped, and worn*
Schecter C-1 Elite *still sexy*
Ibanez AEL 12-string

"He who sticks his dick in peanut butter is fucking nuts"
This ones tough. I just say I play guitar but I dont like telling anyone (felling of stuck up-ness), but Im in a band with my friends which helped a little. Its still been less than a year though since I got my lefty though lol
My username is a Misnomer.

Im not into the whole drug scene....

I just think Fire is Boss.

Quote by SlayingDragons

I won't piss a fit if someone "misuses" it. That's just the way I prefer to look at it.
Keep you doped with religion and sex and TV
And you think you're so clever and class less and free
But you're still fucking peasants as far as I can see

A working class hero is something to be.
i've played drums for 7+ years and dabble in guitar but i only consider my self a drummer and trombonist
Quote by JacobTheMe
Yeah, the movie was complete tat.

Avoid, unless you enjoy ruining things that you enjoy.

You can call me Cam, Cameron, or any other variation
Mortal Enemies with Primus2112
And everybody's singin'la, la la la, la la la
Page 1 of 2