http://www.facebook.com/notes/mike-portnoy/mike-portnoy-leaves-dream-theater/137362372974878

This just can't be... He IS part of Dream Theater. I think it's just mindblowing that the other guys just said 'well, you go then, we'll go on'... Your thoughts?

(I searchbarred, but if I didn't do a proper job, feel free to delete or move this one)
Play the music, not the instrument.
Last edited by Larsman9000 at Sep 8, 2010,
AAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHNONONONONONONONONONONONOONONNOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

apologies if this seems like spam, but NOOOOOOOO!
DIO FOREVER
I just read this too... I'm nearly in tears. He's my favorite drummer, Dream Theater my favorite band. This is a huge shock... and it calls for a giant WHAT THE ****.
This is just sad. I honestly don't think they'll ever find a proper replacement for him...
Play the music, not the instrument.
Quote by polishedbullet
I swear to god if it was to be a permanent replacement for those emo ******s..

I, along with the entire Dream Theater fan base, give John "Jesus" Petrucci the permission to beat the shit out of him.

lol'd

And it's not like DT was putting out good stuff anyways.
Quote by lolmnt
We're better than Mexico cuz we rule USA USA USA
John Petrucci is really why most people listen to DT. All they members are really stiff and bland to me anyway, so maybe that's why I don't care.
NNNNNNNNNNNOOOOOOOO! Lies!
Quote by SomeoneYouKnew
Your post was the only bright spot in this disgusting piece of thread.

Quote by lexanirider78
You have balls. I like balls....(awkward silence)

Quote by SeveralSpecies
I waited for the rape.

...but the rape never came
I'm not much of a dream theater fan, but that is a pretty huge "WTF" moment. That's like Neil Peart just ditching Rush after decades. Doesn't make any sense.
NOOOOO!!! I literally cried from this. If he joins A7X permanently I am going to be really upset with him. Now I'm wondering how DT is going to go about this.
Quote by polishedbullet
It just pisses me off that he was one of 3 original members of the band. He is THE band. Mike's the one who does all the sets and fan-related activities and actually tries to keep people interested in DT.

Maybe he'd rather play for "those emo ******s".
Quote by lolmnt
inb4 "now they can finally get a good drummer".

Honestly, I can understand why he'd do it. When you invest so much of yourself into something 24/7, above and beyond what you need to be, it can be very draining. I'm not quite sure how I feel though. I mean, you can't get Roine, Pete, and Neal (and live, Daniel) away from their respective bands permanently and make Transatlantic top priority, and replacing The Rev, with all due respect, would be a gratuitous waste of Mike's talent, which is best spent pounding the ever-loving shit out of his drums in ways that no clinically precise drummer like The Rev could ever have thought possible.

I hope for Mike's sake that he's made the right decision.
Q: Favourite Pink Floyd song?
A: The one where they get wicked high and play Emin and A for an hour.
What must be fake its gotta be fake. THIS BEST BE FAKE...no let it be real yeah cause come to think of it...no not hear. not now. Work Time Fun. Come on. azsdolsadwagklkd

World just came to an end...in sector 908. Alpha Lanterns got it covered.
I'm legit crying right now. And all you guys are wrong. People don't listen to Dream Theater for Petrucci, i got suspended animation for that. Mike portnoy is amazing and a huge part of dream theater. as sad as i am now i'll support him in whatever projects he does next and hope this isn't the end of the great band, Dream Theater.
Well, if that's true, they're not worth listening to anymore. He's the sole reason I listen to anything by them.
well, i don't think any of us saw this coming.

as a complete non-Dream Theater fan, i still find this shocking. i would definately think he's a douche if he becomes a full replacement for The Rev
Quote by asator
YOU'RE A CUNT AND STUFF LESPAUL1216.

It's okay because whatever, forever
Quote by DimebagLivesOn
Maybe he'd rather play for "those emo ******s".

I definitely would. Avenged sevenfold is much better than Dream theaturd.
Quote by severed-metal
Come to think of it, my penis should've listened to more death metal.

Quote by Morphogenesis26
So my question is. Can Pre-Cum fluid pass through my underwear, my jeans, onto and through her jeans, through her underwear, and impregnate her?
It was actually the band that told him to go, he just wanted to take a break for the year of '11 and they weren't down for it. So...They'll probably regret their decision later on and ask for him back.
Quote by polishedbullet
I swear to god if it was to be a permanent replacement for those emo ******s..

I, along with the entire Dream Theater fan base, give John "Jesus" Petrucci the permission to beat the shit out of him.

I, along with everyone over the age of 14 give every car in the world permission to kill you.
with Portnoy leaving (he was really the only member with any onstage passion or charisma imo) everything Laiho said about Dream Theater has come true. Today, It's not music, it's sports.
DT hasn't really been doing much lately. Maybe he wanted to get back out there and keep making music by way of A7X, and staying with DT was holding him back?

I don't necessarily agree with his decision, but can understand it if that's the case.
I really can't believe this... My favorite drummer and my favorite band parting ways. Why couldn't they just take a much needed 1 year break.......FUUUUCKKK
This is extremely depressing.

DT is my all time favorite band. I just got into them like 2 years ago too. The only new album I got to experience them release was BC&SL, I was at least hoping for them to release another...

Honestly, I'd just be more happy if they programmed their drums now, and let the rest of the members write everything, than have a new drummer come on board.
Quote by NothingRocks
Well Dream Theater is now officially dead. They can't possibly continue after losing their founding member and one of the best drummers in recent years. Dream Theater is pretty much dead to me now.

They've been pretty much bleeding out for the last decade.
Quote by lolmnt
Quote by TomusAM
John Petrucci is really why most people listen to DT. All they members are really stiff and bland to me anyway, so maybe that's why I don't care.

mike is one of the most respected drummers in metal, I think petrucci isn't the only focus (rudess and myung are sick too)

Quote by polishedbullet
It just pisses me off that he was one of 3 original members of the band. He is THE band. Mike's the one who does all the sets and fan-related activities and actually tries to keep people interested in DT.

and this. mike IS dream theater.

I don't know what this means for the Avenged Sevenfold gig, on one hand, it'd be awesome for Jimmy's idol to fill his place (he won't be replaced), and he's ridiculously talented, but I do feel his talents could be better used somewhere else. and read my username, I love sevenfold. but unless they get intense prog with their latest album... actually that'd be awesome.

a shock to hear, nonetheless.
has a terrible signature.
Quote by NothingRocks
Well Dream Theater is now officially dead. They can't possibly continue after losing their founding member and one of the best drummers in recent years. Dream Theater is pretty much dead to me now.

Not to mention the fact that Mike was one of the band's two primary lyricists and songwriters, as well as one of the main organizational forces behind the band.

Seriously, I don't say this often because it sounds absolutely cliche, and frankly, immature to say it, but without Mike, I don't even think there really CAN be a DT, and for once it actually genuinely wouldn't be the same band without him. He just drove so much of that band's style, sound, and was the main artistic and business force behind the band.
Q: Favourite Pink Floyd song?
A: The one where they get wicked high and play Emin and A for an hour.
Metal forum
*-)
Quote by Bob_Sacamano
i kinda wish we all had a penis and vagina instead of buttholes

i mean no offense to buttholes and poop or anything

Rest in Peace, Troy Davis and Trayvon Martin and Jordan Davis and Eric Garner and Mike Brown