I was looking into a Zakk Wylde signature head (Marshall JCM 800 2203ZW) I noticed it contains the 6550 tubes for its power amp... but I was wondering where the amp head gets it distortion from, power amp or pre amp???

I was also wondering whats the difference between poweramp gain and pre amp gain?
Yeah. But the same can be said for DAR amps and other amps which use "weird" tubes...dammit I want a pair of KT120s..I might blow up my amp and burn my house down, but at least I'll go out in a blaze of glory
Last edited by C_majzer at Sep 8, 2010,
Power amp gain= classic rock type tones (think overdriven fender)
Preamp gain= more modern type of distortion ( think peavey 6505 )
Quote by travs2448
is the puppy solid state or tube?

Quote by diceksox1809
solid state. when she screams it pisses me off


Quote by GrizzlyFnAdams6
Dimebag had s*** tone and that guitar plays like an abortion. Come at me, bro!

Quote by jpatan
It's because Garth Brooks brings the ****in' br00tz.
power amp gain is only achievable when you turn the master volume high enough. so the answer is, if you're running it on the dirty channel and getting your gain from that, your using preamp distortion, but if you turn it up really high then you'll get some power amp saturation on top of that, which has a really smooth sound

Ibanez RG7321 w/ D-sonic in bridge

Peavey 5150 mk ii & b52 4x12 cab

line 6 podxt for recording

Quote by AsOneIStand
Head and Cab for $130? You don't need a head and cabinet, you need a psychological examination.