Hey fellas, I'm realllllly GAS'ing for some new recording gear and I feel my one preamp interface is a little limiting so I'm looking for some more gear.

I'm seeing the Presonus Firepod goes for around <$250 on eBay, and the Profire 2626 around $400. Is the Profire worth twice the price???

Also I have the option of the Tascam 1648? I don't recall if that's the right name but it's a 8 channel interface like the FP and the profire but it's quite cheap.. $200 brand new and even cheaper on eBay.

Looking for some opinions, thanks & Godbless
Matthew 7:7 ""Ask and it will be given to you; seek and you will find; knock and the door will be opened to you."

Pop Punk! Check us out!: Flinch
The Profire is worth twice the price. Best budget pres out there.
Derpy Derp Derp Herp Derp
Quote by tr3nt
Hey fellas, I'm realllllly GAS'ing for some new recording gear and I feel my one preamp interface is a little limiting so I'm looking for some more gear.

I'm seeing the Presonus Firepod goes for around <$250 on eBay, and the Profire 2626 around $400. Is the Profire worth twice the price???

Also I have the option of the Tascam 1648? I don't recall if that's the right name but it's a 8 channel interface like the FP and the profire but it's quite cheap.. $200 brand new and even cheaper on eBay.

Looking for some opinions, thanks & Godbless

You mean the Tascam US1641? I've got one, and it does what I need it to. The preamps on it are almost silent (I would say exactly silent, but I've never been in a perfectly quiet room with headphones cranked up to see if there's noise or not).

Of course, if you can get firewire, I'd recommend doing that so you can daisy-chain several ones later on.
i would say yes, the profire is worth twice the price. the other 8 preamp interface that people on UG seem to like (and i havent used) is the focusrite saffire pro 40. looks like they are around the $325-350 mark on ebay. i would probably spend the extra $50 and get the profire myself, but it is another option.
I don't know if I want to spend that much on an interface though.. Tell me what you guys would do in my situation.

1) I don't even own my own drum kit, I've been borrowing one.
2) Cables + mics are going to be an extra $400ish?
3) My rooms aren't acoustically treated.

But I want solid sounding recordings. Doh.
Matthew 7:7 ""Ask and it will be given to you; seek and you will find; knock and the door will be opened to you."

Anyone?

I'd still get the profire ESPECIALLY if you plan to record drums. You're going to want to go firewire since you're looking at recording 4+ tracks. A fully loaded USB Interface running a lot of tracks will get lag and shit to make it sound out of sync and terrible.

You could get the Firepod like you mentioned but with the ProFire, you'll have a better sampling rate (192kHz vs. 96kHz). Obviously, the higher the sample rate, the more accurate and clear things will sound.

Just something to think about
Derpy Derp Derp Herp Derp
trent, talk to me on MSN biatch!
ADELOS
POP PUNK
for fans of...

Motion City Soundtrack, Get Up Kids, Jimmy Eat World, Transit, Brand New, Dashboard Confessional, Early November, Fall Out Boy, Jawbreaker, Polar Bear Club, The Story So Far, the Wonder Years, Something Corporate.