Hey guys just a quick question. I have read an article over at gibson that by raising the string height you will get a better tone (or at least a change in tone) How can this be true? I mean, does would the string vibrate in larger circles/arcs if you raise the height? How is this possible..or am I missing something here?
What you've discovered is the classic secret of "Gibson bullshit."
breaking hearts
&
breaking guitars
well higher strings would mean you have to bend them a bit to get to the fret so it might sound slightly sharper this is all i know of that would change the tone
Higher strings often give better sustain and easier bends- this can contribute towards a better tone. Gary Moore is an example of this

EDIT: Oh, and I don't know the reason for this. Just how it is
Last edited by SilverSpurs616 at Sep 8, 2010,
i thought it was common knowledge that a higher action = better tone..
same as thicker strings = better tone.

sorry, i can't explain why though.
Well, on my Jackson, the lower string height gives it a more "punchy" sound, the higher the string height, I get more of a round smooth sound, but it's not like that for all guitars. No matter what string gage I use it's like that.
Quote by SilverSpurs616
Higher strings often give better sustain and easier bends- this can contribute towards a better tone. Gary Moore is an example of this

I've always found that a lower action leads to a easier string bending, and simply an all-around better playing/sounding guitar. Just don't go too low.
Yeah wouldn't believe everything Gibson says tbh...

It's true to an extent, an action too low can definitely lose a bit of sustain and ruin the tone slightly and make harmonics less prominent, but an action too high will lose you sustain as it's too far away from the neck for the vibrations to bounce back and return to the strings... or something like that...

It's just about finding that sweet spot that's comfortable for you and gives good sustain and makes harmonics nice and sweet
Hi! I'm Andrew, and when I have a bubble in my throat I sound like Alan Rickman!

I have the BEST Jizz Face on UG!

My YouTube Channel (slowmotion stuff!): www.youtube.com/wannabeguitarlegend
If you're getting fret buzz than more action will definitely improve tone. The harder you pick, the higher the action has to be to avoid fretting out. The tonal diffs are less pronounced when you run a 6505 on lead channel w/ preamp @ 6 than they would be on a cleaner sound but there are still diffs. Sustain was a good call, among other elements of the sound.
I used to go as low as I could b4 fret buzz, but now I play much higher, for reasons besides tone. You just get more control and cleaner playing when you're not running strings right on the deck.