Hi all,

I'm moving into a dorm in a few weeks, and I was thinking about my amp situation. I'm obviously not bringing my 100W Marshall to my dorm for practical reasons. So I'm looking to downsize to a small but powerful tube combo. Now for the specs:

Tube is preferred, but not necessary
Single 12" speaker or smaller
$500 USD ballpark max budget
More than one channel would be nice
My current amp has an output mute for recording purposes, which could be useful in a dorm setting.

Current equipment:
Fender Roadhouse Mexi Strat with Texas Specials

Desired sound:
Think John Mayer, Kenny Wayne Shepherd clean and dirty sounds, as well as a jazzy clean. As clean as can be without sacrificing the bluesy sound, which is my main goal. Also, an amp that adequately mimics David Gilmour's sound and Pearl Jam's sound

Please let me know if any information is needed. Thanks!

Already an EDIT: The Jet City JCA2112RC caught my eye..
Warmoth Strat w/ Lace Holy Grails
'07 Roadhouse Strat
Washburn WD-21 all Koa Acoustic
Marshall JCM-2000 TSL-122
Bugera V-5
Last edited by Rogue Hermit at Sep 8, 2010,
Blackstar HT-5 gets a good reputation around here. I've not tried that specific model but if it sounds like the Blackstar HT-40. Should be good.
Bass Gear:

Mensinger: Speesy
Fender Precision 1989 (CIJ Rosewood)
Fender Steve Harris (CIJ)
Lakland J Sonic 5
Epiphone Explorer
Maruszczyk (custom) Jake

Ashdown CTM 100
http://redironamps.com/amplilmo.html

That's 400 shipped. You could probably find a small cab for $100 on your CL if you posted a wanted listing, or you could just bring one of your combos, set it on top, and plug the speaker into it instead of the combo.

Or if that's too inconvenient:

http://www.mahaffayamps.com/little-lanilei-quarter-watt.htm

Footswitchable, headphone jack, line out, effects loop... Plus at a 1/4 watt, you can crank it and it'll still be speaking volume.

Seriously, I'd go with one of these two. Even 5 tube watts is WAY too loud for dorm use. Heck, it's too loud for home use for a lot of people. Especially if you're trying to get some tube breakup, which it sounds like you are.
Last edited by josephde at Sep 9, 2010,
Now that I think about it, you're probably right about keeping it under 5 watts. The Bugera V5 also caught my eye, since it's switchable to 1 and .1 watts. What are your opinions on that?
Warmoth Strat w/ Lace Holy Grails
'07 Roadhouse Strat
Washburn WD-21 all Koa Acoustic
Marshall JCM-2000 TSL-122
Bugera V-5