Poll: Energy drinks (any kind)
Poll Options
View poll results: Energy drinks (any kind)
Good, useful
47 38%
Bad, abusive
44 35%
No idea, don't care
34 27%
Voters: 125.
Page 1 of 2
Some background info on me before going on : I don't drink any kind of drinks that may boost your energy (even coffee) or state of mind (as in red bull stuff), and I don't really have anything against them but for me, I prefer being able to do college work, my job, concentrate on things, be more active mentally without consuming anything with a temporary effect.

So today, before going to college, I had to go to some corner store get something to drink. In that store, everything was pretty much overpriced, except those gatorade energy drinks that were on sale. I though "Hey, why not, for that price I could get 2-3 and drink them at my phys. activity class and later maybe".

So I did. And after drinking 1 and a half of those, I was "hyperactive" almost all day long.

Now, not the kind of hyperactive guy that is annoying as shit and does stupid shit and seems crazy (I have a very good concentration), but I was like... So much faster in school works, I could recall everything I studied and a bunch of random things so easily (and I have an under average short term memory) and all that stuff. I'm a very good college student, always been (I have very good college grades), but it just felt like I was on a completely different level.

I don't plan on getting those again except this week because they're at a good price and not more than one per day, but what do you guys think about it? Is it good to drink these things just like that or it could be some sort of abuse, if you see what I mean?

tl;dr: energy drinks boost the shit out of me but I don't like using them 'cause I prefer doing things without drinking shit that temporary boosts me, are they any good or they could be abusive?

Poll coming
Last edited by kevC4 at Sep 8, 2010,
POWERTHIRST!!!!!!!!!!!
you'll have babies! how many babies?!? 400 BABIES!!!!!!!!!!!!
I smoke like Rasta, got hair like pasta
I be sippin' on them shots then bustin' rhymes like Busta

Load up the bong, crank up the song, let the informa call 911
Drink too many and you become addicted.

Your body will get used to the buzz, and that will become normal.

Stopping them will make your body feel like crap.

Your call.
RIP Tom Searle.
If it were like crystal meth in a can, your face would resemble your avatar!
THE ARNOLD PALMER SPECIAL
I drink energy drinks occassionally. For no purpose really, I just like the taste. Its fine unless you're being stupid and having too many, or if you're drinking them every single day.

Or if, like people I know, you have them for breakfast.
Quote by MH400
Drink too many and you become addicted.

Your body will get used to the buzz, and that will become normal.

Stopping them will make your body feel like crap.

Your call.

True, probably the reason why it makes me go

I'll probably try taking one or two per week.
I personally think Energy drinks are the worst thing ever. Most people don't even know what's in them. Besides, I'd rather not feel like I'm on damn Meth for three hours and then feel like shit the rest of the day. No thanks!
Quote by Okeefe Is Legit
Take it to the drug thread.

...No. :\

Gatorade doesn't belong in the drug thread.

And since when does Gatorade make energy drinks? 0.o
Over 9000 heart attacks in a can. No thanks.
Call me Jack.
All that you love...
...you must love now.
My Gear:
PRS Custom 24
Standard MIM Tele
Larrivée LV-09E
Rivera Clubster 45 112 Combo Tube
Boss ME-20 Multi-effects pedal
Boss OC-3 Super octave pedal
My own home-made octave-up pedal
Coffee is the best ****ing thing on this planet. Energy drinks on the other hand corrode your kidneys. No thanks.
Damn OP, you should try some adderal or vyvance

Also, why no "temporary boost"?
Proud follower of Åkerfeldtism

P S T F I N D E R

Quote by FFTLxx
Uhh there was this guy who didn't get any of the questions in some exam so he put 2 pencils in his nose and headbutted the desk.. and died.. that's pretty stupid.

I drink 1-2 coffees a day on average, but I avoid energy drinks like the plague. They are TERRIBLE for you. Some of the bigger name drinks will literally decay your heart over time with regular intake.

Once in a while isn't a bad thing, but it's not something you should do regularly, not even a weekly basis is recommended.
I'm prescribed Adderall, so I tend to avoid things with caffeine. I have tried a NOS energy drink. Shit's f*cked up. I wasn't taking Adderall at the time (I wasn't in school), but I still was awake for like 36 hours straight. No more of that shit for me.

Quote by Pat_s1t
I remember Das_Skittles made me rage hard.

Quote by WCPhils
I can't stand Das_Skittles everything he says makes me mad.

Quote by due 07
Skittles is the shit you cuntles. Slob on his knob.

My Band Youtube Channel Last.fm
i find they dont really help me. well they do but i'll use an example

playing a video game if an enemy jumps around a corner and ive had an energy drink i react quicker by like jumping in my seat rather than shooting.... if you get what i mean
_____
MUSE
Quote by protest000
Quote by gillehy
Anyone agree there or am i on my own?
+
Quote by Okeefe Is Legit
Take it to the drug thread.

You've gotta be joking, right?
RIP Tom Searle.
It isn't good for your health, but do what you want. It probably won't kill you.
This is why I don't like arguing on the internet.
Quote by damian_91
If only you could back that statement up.
Quote by Zombee
Wolfgang's Philadelphia Study. Look it up yourself.
Quote by damian_91
No need to, absurd generalizations aren't my thing.
I stick to black coffee, all the lovely caffeine, none of the corn syrup and unpronounceable additives with dubious erm... "benefits"

and it's cheap as hell compared to that overpriced garbage
Last.Fm

“If there was anything that depressed him more than his own cynicism, it was that quite often it still wasn't as cynical as real life.”
― Terry Pratchett

qft...

Jeremy Clarkson is a knob.
Dude...you have A.D.D (A.D.H.D), its obvious. Case closed. Youre welcome.

The caffeine and shit in energy drinks and other variants has this type of affect on people with A.D.D. Honestly? Id stay off the crazy energy drinks and go get an appointment for a psychiatrist and try for some Adderall etc.
YELLOWFRIZBEE s FreezerBurn

Stepco's Master
|Colowomble 2016|PSN=yellowfrizbee| + UG Community Radio|
Quote by yellowfrizbee
Dude...you have A.D.D (A.D.H.D), its obvious. Case closed. Youre welcome.

The caffeine and shit in energy drinks and other variants has this type of affect on people with A.D.D. Honestly? Id stay off the crazy energy drinks and go get an appointment for a psychiatrist and try for some Adderall etc.

this could be, but it's also true that people that don't regularly ingest caffeine are more affected by it, and some people are naturally just more affected by stimulants than others, as with any drug
Last.Fm

“If there was anything that depressed him more than his own cynicism, it was that quite often it still wasn't as cynical as real life.”
― Terry Pratchett

qft...

I like energy drinks. I drink them every once in a while. I wait until toward the end of the day so when the crash comes, I can just go on to bed. My favorite is the purple NOS.
I'll drink a Monster every once in awhile.

Usually if I don't get any sleep the night before work, there's a Monster machine right outside so I'll grab one.

I actually just really like the taste of Monster. I wish they'd just make a normal soda out of it without the energy shit.
Quote by Carswell98
this could be, but it's also true that people that don't regularly ingest caffeine are more affected by it, and some people are naturally just more affected by stimulants than others, as with any drug

Yes, but they would feel effects such as anxiousness, hyperactivity, hyper alertness, restlessness, jittery etc. Basically the opposite of how it would affect someone with A.D.D. Correct me if im wrong

He is feeling more focused, improved memory, more productive etc.

lololol spent 10 min looking up affect vs effect in attempt to fix my poor usage...I..I think I still got it wrong.

Stepco's Master
I've heard stories of people mixing energy drinks with 'party drugs' and such and ending up in the hospital with heart rates well above 100 bpm.
Sometimes I wish energy drinks affected me. I don't understand why they don't. I never drink coffee, and I never drink energy drinks or soda's or anything really.

What's it like being super hyper!?
R.I.P. PAUL GILBERT

You will be missed...
Quote by yellowfrizbee
Yes, but they would feel effects such as anxiousness, hyperactivity, hyper alertness, restlessness, jittery etc. Basically the opposite of how it would affect someone with A.D.D. Correct me if im wrong

He is feeling more focused, improved memory, more productive etc.

lololol spent 10 min looking up affect vs effect in attempt to fix my poor usage...I..I think I still got it wrong.

yeah, but more focus, better recollection and more energy is exactly what those drinks are supposed to do, am I right? so it's probably that he is not used to caffeine, the effects of it are over exaggerated because he is a first time user

he also said he is already a person with good concentration so there is no reason to suspect ADHD, really
Last.Fm

― Terry Pratchett

qft...

I absolutely never get any buzz off any energy booster. I went straight to sleep after drinking a fiver hour energy and energy drinks don't do anything. Basically they have a reverse effect on me.
Gear:
PRS Tremonti
ESP LTD Deluxe Viper 1000
Fender Telecaster
B.C. Rich Warlock
Epiphone Goth SG
Randall RD200
Line 6 Spider IV 150
I avoid energy drinks because of the horrible taste, I don't drink coffee either, and I usually drink about 2-3 12oz cans of soda (Coke) a day (if I have 'em).
The caffeine and so called "energy boosts" have no effect on me. I could drink any of those and be able to fall asleep at night easily.
Quote by Carswell98
yeah, but more focus, better recollection and more energy is exactly what those drinks are supposed to do, am I right? so it's probably that he is not used to caffeine, the effects of it are over exaggerated because he is a first time user

he also said he is already a person with good concentration so there is no reason to suspect ADHD, really

Yeah, I suppose so in low doses, but shit..dont energy drinks have like 150++ mg of just caffeine alone ? I dont see that having a positive effect like that in anyone but people with such a deficiency in the first place.

Oh, the last bit I misunderstood though. I thought when he said "I have very good concentration" he was referring to with the energy drink.

Stepco's Master
ADD (Or ADHD)?

If I had ADHD, then most of the population would be Jim Carrey on crack, no kidding.

Quote by Shazazmic
Sometimes I wish energy drinks affected me. I don't understand why they don't. I never drink coffee, and I never drink energy drinks or soda's or anything really.

What's it like being super hyper!?

You're all happy for five seconds, think about some random stuff, get lost in your thoughts, shake your head to get back on track, your friend asks you some shit and you answer surprisingly fast every time, get lost in your thoughts again, then in class I would answer everything the teacher would ask very easily.

Oh, and for people who energy drinks don't affect them, it used to be like that for me some years ago. No idea what's changed, kinda
Last edited by kevC4 at Sep 10, 2010,
I took 15 bucks worth of energy shots to stay awake, they kept me awake for about 2 hours. 6 hour power my ass>>

I'm prescribed adderall, which is composed of about 5 real amphetamines, been on it since 4th grade (graduated HS 09) and drink about a case of soda a day.
I have a mate who drinks numerous cans of red bull a day, he even has to have an evening 8 o clock red bull. He's pretty much addicted to them.
some are ok but most will kill you
Warning: The above post may contain lethal levels of radiation, sharp objects and sexiness.
Proceed with extreme caution!
I love Rockstar energy drinks! ****in' delicious. I don't think they really give you any energy.
Quote by stratkat
I took 15 bucks worth of energy shots to stay awake, they kept me awake for about 2 hours. 6 hour power my ass>>

I'm prescribed adderall, which is composed of about 5 real amphetamines, been on it since 4th grade (graduated HS 09) and drink about a case of soda a day.

You're going to die. Die soon.
Is it bad that I pretty much only drink them if I'm drinking alcohol with them?
My name is Danny. Call me that.
Page 1 of 2