Question.would it be worth putting a V30 in my Fender HRD.I like the amp.I think it has a pretty decent tone but it feels like its missing something.Would a V30 make that much of a difference.Anybody have any experience with this match?

...........Thank you for any help.
Quote by The Writ
Question.would it be worth putting a V30 in my Fender HRD.I like the amp.I think it has a pretty decent tone but it feels like its missing something.Would a V30 make that much of a difference.Anybody have any experience with this match?

...........Thank you for any help.

What exactly do you think it's missing? I have the same amp and I'm looking to replace the speaker as well. V30 is a pretty mid-rangy speaker and I think the mids are fine. Personally, I find the stock speaker to be a bit muddy and harsh on the highs and open chords sound a little muffled. Anyway, what kind of music do you play and would you prefer an American or British voiced speaker?
Founder of the EHX Users Guild
My Photography

Quote by Kyle-Rehm
Please don't tell me I'm the only one that clicked this thread thinking I would learn how to make my guitar sound like a grizzly bear.
I think a V-30 would really open up a Hod rod Deluxe, that's a straight up blues amp, and the V-30 is perfect for blues having a boosted midrange, tight bottom end, and nice highs, would balance out that amp a tone.

I say do it, really nothing you can loose, it's a great speaker.
Quote by soul_power
What exactly do you think it's missing? I have the same amp and I'm looking to replace the speaker as well. V30 is a pretty mid-rangy speaker and I think the mids are fine. Personally, I find the stock speaker to be a bit muddy and harsh on the highs and open chords sound a little muffled. Anyway, what kind of music do you play and would you prefer an American or British voiced speaker?

I play mainley Rock/Blues.I use a Gibson Sg Standard.Onthe clean channel the amp isn't to bad but on the distortion channel like you said it sounds muddy.Overall I really like the amp.It just sounds like it needs a little something extra.I swear if the distortion was just a little more clear I could almost get a Sabbath tone.But this is my bedroom amp and I dont ever push the volume past 3. So i'm also wondering if a hot plate would help a little.
Quote by ethan_hanus
I think a V-30 would really open up a Hod rod Deluxe, that's a straight up blues amp, and the V-30 is perfect for blues having a boosted midrange, tight bottom end, and nice highs, would balance out that amp a tone.

I say do it, really nothing you can loose, it's a great speaker.

Yea,I think your right.Every body loves the V30.But I would like to hear from some one who has done this mod to there HRD amp.Although I might just do it and post the results.
for some reason, i just don't picture the V30 working out the best.

I would think you would want to stay more fendery.

it would be good in tightening up the bottom end, but i just dont think the midrange from the V30 would complament the HRD.

i would listen to someone who has done the swap, and see what they think of it before shelling out the dough.

-----------

edit: or borrow a cab with matching impedence and hook the HRD up to it.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
Quote by trashedlostfdup
for some reason, i just don't picture the V30 working out the best.

I would think you would want to stay more fendery.

it would be good in tightening up the bottom end, but i just dont think the midrange from the V30 would complament the HRD.

i would listen to someone who has done the swap, and see what they think of it before shelling out the dough.

-----------

edit: or borrow a cab with matching impedence and hook the HRD up to it.

Thats a pretty good idea.Unfortunately I dont know anybody with a cab.And you are right.I am going to wait to hear from somebody who has done the swap.That is if there is someone here that has done this to there HRD. There is definitely a whole world of diferent speakers out there and I dont know enough about the diferences to make an informed decision.
Quote by The Writ
Thats a pretty good idea.Unfortunately I dont know anybody with a cab.And you are right.I am going to wait to hear from somebody who has done the swap.That is if there is someone here that has done this to there HRD. There is definitely a whole world of diferent speakers out there and I dont know enough about the diferences to make an informed decision.

I'm kind of in the same boat. I know a lot of people have been pretty satisfied with the Eminence Cannabis Rex speaker in this amp. I've heard that it helps round off the harsh ice pick highs and it brings together that flabby bottom end. This is what's at the top of my list right now but I'm still doing some research. I personally don't think that the V30 would be best in this either because of the added mids but I sort of dismissed it right off the bat because I'm looking for an American voiced speaker for my American voiced cleans
My Photography

Quote by Kyle-Rehm
Please don't tell me I'm the only one that clicked this thread thinking I would learn how to make my guitar sound like a grizzly bear.
i tried an HRD with a v30, it was one of those special orange models. It helped the od channels a fair bit, but killed the nice cleans. so instead of good cleans with abysmal distortion, you had average cleans combined with mediocre distortion.

Personally I'd go for a more all-round speaker.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
first of all, I have been wondering about a speak swap for along time in my HRD. Second, I wouldn't use the overdrive channel, it sounds bad no matter what speaker it is going through. Get an overdrive pedal! But i have no idea about speakers>
Guitars:
Gibson SG Standard with Bigsby
Gibson Custom ES-137
Gibson Custom 54' Les Paul VOS Goldtop
Gretsch G6129T Silver Jet
1968 Harmony Rocket H75

Amps:
Fender Hot Rod Deluxe (modded)
1970 Fender Twin Reverb (blackfaced)

I've been looking at speakers and those Celestion Blue speakers that Brian May uses seem like a good choise but they are REALLY expensive.My dad tells me that the guys at sweetwater might be able to help.Supposedly the people that work there are like sound engineers or something.What ever there credentials are i'm going to give them a call and atleast see what they think.
Quote by The Writ
I found this bit of reading material for the others interested.

http://www.thegearpage.net/board/showthread.php?t=493367&page=1

that was an interesting thread. maybe it wouldn't be as bad as I initally thought. I did hear a Fender amp with a Cannibus Rex, and it sounded great. unfortunately i dont remember what model it was, as i have never been paticulaly into fender amps.

the question from me, is why the Vintage 30? there are a lot of speakers that would come to mind for a fender amp (to me anyways) before a Vintage 30.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7

Quote by trashedlostfdup

Quote by andersondb7

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Quote by trashedlostfdup
that was an interesting thread. maybe it wouldn't be as bad as I initally thought. I did hear a Fender amp with a Cannibus Rex, and it sounded great. unfortunately i dont remember what model it was, as i have never been paticulaly into fender amps.

the question from me, is why the Vintage 30? there are a lot of speakers that would come to mind for a fender amp (to me anyways) before a Vintage 30.

I say the Vintage 30 because it wont increase the midrange, the stock speaker is already midrange heavy, the V-30 would smooth out the mids, making them more noticeable and less annoying, and tightening up the bottom end actually gives you more clarity. Naturally, when you put in a new speaker, you have to EQ the amp completely different, other wise you'll get bad results.

The V-30 is a very smooth speaker, it's not harsh in any way, unless you EQ your rig to be harsh.

A Emenice Man O War or Swamp would also work good, I would look into those as well.
Quote by trashedlostfdup

When you talk to anybody about guitar speakers the first one that always comes up is the v30.If sooooo many guitar players (semi and pro) swear by them,then there has to be something to that.I've been playing quite awhile but never really had the chance to owne or play on good gear.I was playing on a Marshall AVT 150 (POS) that I thought was good till I brought home the HRD.(And I payed a hell of alot less for the HRD) So now i'm on a quest to find the best sound possible.And if its going to take more than a speaker and maby a different set of tubes to get what i'm looking for then that amp will be for sale and i'll buy a better one.But I dont think it'll come to that and I really do like the HRD,I just want more.
An Eminence Swamp Thang would really do well for that amp.
My Gear
Guitars:
-Gibson Les Paul Studio
-Ibanez "lawsuit" Les Paul
-Ibanez S470
-PRS SE Custom

Amp:
Marshall TSL100
Marshall 1960a cab

Effects:
Dunlop 535q wah
Visual Sound Liquid Chorus

Pickups:
Guitarforce
MHD
Quote by The Writ
When you talk to anybody about guitar speakers the first one that always comes up is the v30.If sooooo many guitar players (semi and pro) swear by them,then there has to be something to that.I've been playing quite awhile but never really had the chance to owne or play on good gear.I was playing on a Marshall AVT 150 (POS) that I thought was good till I brought home the HRD.(And I payed a hell of alot less for the HRD) So now i'm on a quest to find the best sound possible.And if its going to take more than a speaker and maby a different set of tubes to get what i'm looking for then that amp will be for sale and i'll buy a better one.But I dont think it'll come to that and I really do like the HRD,I just want more.

i didn't mean to offend you if i did, so sorry and .

but that was what i was thinking, you knew it as a legendary speaker and were curious to see what it would do to your amp. thats not a bad thing at all, i probably would have thought similar too.

the Vintage 30 are typically more known for Marshalls (second to Greenbacks), Oranges (actually i think that is all they sell) high gain stuff like metal for amps like peavys (think 5150/6505), some Mesas, etc. more on the British side, or more high-gain.

to be honest, i would go with a cannibus rex, or as the others have mentioned a swamp thing, or manowar, as (for sure the latter two) would be more of a traditional swap.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7

Quote by trashedlostfdup

Quote by andersondb7

****** NEW NEW NEW!
Quote by The Writ
Apparently you can get a limited edition HRDX for soma extra coin that comes with the V30.

http://www.rainbowguitars.com/guitar/fender/hot-rod-deluxe-hrdx/0213202851/FE

Nice, I wish I could get one, that race orange looks like it would get me pulled over for being to awesome.

I mean, if Fender is marketing the HRD with a V-30 then it can't be a bad thing.

It's really a hit or miss kinda thing with speaker, since tone is subjective you might like it, you might not, the speaker may be high quality, but you may not like it. I've seen people sell high end amps cause the didn't like how they sounded out of the box.

But if you go with Warehouse guitar speakers http://wgs4.com/ Then you won't loose too much money, $75 a speaker, can't beat that.
Quote by ethan_hanus
I say the Vintage 30 because it wont increase the midrange, the stock speaker is already midrange heavy, the V-30 would smooth out the mids, making them more noticeable and less annoying, and tightening up the bottom end actually gives you more clarity. Naturally, when you put in a new speaker, you have to EQ the amp completely different, other wise you'll get bad results.

The V-30 is a very smooth speaker, it's not harsh in any way, unless you EQ your rig to be harsh.

A Emenice Man O War or Swamp would also work good, I would look into those as well.

The stock speaker isn't that mid-voiced at all. In fact, I think the mids are pretty balanced. The bass is a but muddy and the highs are a bit shrill.
My Photography

Quote by Kyle-Rehm
I was playing with the amp quite a bit last night and to me it sounds like the amp isn't clear enough.Almost like you you cant get the EQ to do enough.I dont know if a speaker swap will give me the clarity i'm looking for but I think i'm going to try and find a used 2x12 ex.cab w/v30's in it.I need one for my Bassman anyway because I sold my avt.
Quote by The Writ
When you talk to anybody about guitar speakers the first one that always comes up is the v30.If sooooo many guitar players (semi and pro) swear by them,then there has to be something to that.

there is- it's that it's the only speaker they've heard of.

I mean, I was guilty of that too, at one point, but it's worth bearing in mind. just because everyone (or almost everyone) thinks something doesn't make it right.

Note, I'm not saying that the v30 is a terrible speaker- for certain things, I like it a lot. But (much like the ubiquitous duncan JB), it's not an all-round, versatile speaker, in my opinion anyway. Much like trashedlostfdup said, it wouldn't be my first choice for a fender-style amp. Or anywhere near it.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by trashedlostfdup
i didn't mean to offend you if i did, so sorry and .

but that was what i was thinking, you knew it as a legendary speaker and were curious to see what it would do to your amp. thats not a bad thing at all, i probably would have thought similar too.

the Vintage 30 are typically more known for Marshalls (second to Greenbacks), Oranges (actually i think that is all they sell) high gain stuff like metal for amps like peavys (think 5150/6505), some Mesas, etc. more on the British side, or more high-gain.

to be honest, i would go with a cannibus rex, or as the others have mentioned a swamp thing, or manowar, as (for sure the latter two) would be more of a traditional swap.

No man dont take me the wrong way.You definitely didn't say anything to offend me.I some times over think my response.But I've read so many other posts on other stuff and the one thing I find is people dont put enough info on here so every one asks questions to your question.So I try to put as much info and be as clear as possible.

Well I read a lot of reviews on that Cannabis Rex and I cant find one bad review.I think we have a new front runner.I'm still waiting on a call I mad.I 'm going to plug into a 2x12 cab with my amp this week.(It has the v30's) We'll see how that goes.