so as the title says, i want an EQ/Tone shaper for like 70$ and under, i dont need anything too huge, maybe like 6 band or something, a 10 would be great if i can get it for that low :/
id prefer not to get used, i want it mainly cuz i have an Epi JR. Halfstack. i do have an ME-20 which has basic EQ, but id like more
thanks!
-Gibson SG Faded
-Ibanez RG5EX1L
-Custom Upside-Down Strat
-Modded Epiphone LP
-Fender Acoustic
*Marshall DSL15H
>Ibanez TS9
>MXR Micro Flanger
>Boss TU-3
>Danelectro Vibe
>Guyatone ST-2 Comrpessor
If you don't need footswitch functionality then I'd heartily recommend buying a used rackmount equalizer off of eBay from a reputable brand. I had a Dod 32-band one that was only $40 and dead-quiet. It performed as well or better than an MXR 10-band for less money, with more bands to boot. Just food for thought.
Steinberger GU/Spirit w/ Moses Graphite neck, EMG 81-85
"Fireball" Pacer/RG hybrid

Furman Power Conditioner
Axe-Fx Standard
ART SLA-1
Yamaha S112V
Peak FCB4N
Are you new to EQs? Like do you just wanna try one out with your sound and see what you think? or are you set in having one in your set-up for full-time use. If it's the first one, I'd say just **** around with the Behringer EQ, i think it's like a 7 band or something but it's like 30 dollars. but also what the person above said
Quote by Demonikk
Disco break!

Quote by Julz127
Make sure you put me in your citations at the end. Or at least in your sig.
well, ive never had an actual EQ pedal or rackmount, and im just getting a band together with a buddy so we'll be practicing and doing some small gigs and what not, so the rackmount sounds good, but A: i have no i dea where to get one, and B: can i trust a used one?
-Gibson SG Faded
-Ibanez RG5EX1L
-Modded Epiphone LP
-Fender Acoustic
*Marshall DSL15H
>Ibanez TS9
>MXR Micro Flanger
>Boss TU-3
>Danelectro Vibe
Quote by Mo Jiggity
If you don't need footswitch functionality then I'd heartily recommend buying a used rackmount equalizer off of eBay from a reputable brand. I had a Dod 32-band one that was only $40 and dead-quiet. It performed as well or better than an MXR 10-band for less money, with more bands to boot. Just food for thought.

I agree that i rackmount model is better for the long term, but if you are new to EQ's I would recommend one with less bands. the more bands, the more complicated it will get. each adjustment would be a pretty big tweak to your tone, and it can get complicated. sometimes its just better to keep it simple.

i think an MXR 6 band would be around your budget, look into one of those.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
Quote by Dr.Tong
well, ive never had an actual EQ pedal or rackmount, and im just getting a band together with a buddy so we'll be practicing and doing some small gigs and what not, so the rackmount sounds good, but A: i have no i dea where to get one, and B: can i trust a used one?

eBay. You can usually trust a used one so long as you ask the seller a few questions and get the right answers (unless they're already answered in the auction listing), eg "Is it fully operational? Are there any problems AT ALL with it? Are any pots noisy?" etc. So long as the answer to all of those is good you ought to be fine.

**EDIT:
Quote by trashedlostfdup
I agree that i rackmount model is better for the long term, but if you are new to EQ's I would recommend one with less bands. the more bands, the more complicated it will get. each adjustment would be a pretty big tweak to your tone, and it can get complicated. sometimes its just better to keep it simple.

The first EQ I had was one with 32 bands. Although what you are saying somewhat makes sense I would also argue that having more bands at your disposal is only marginally more complicated than having, say, 8. All the bands do one of two things - cut or boost, it's just that there's more of them. I am of the school of thought that having more precise control over tone early on makes you better equipped to use an EQ in any more serious, traditional sort of context (eg live sound, recording, etc). It's also worth mentioning that a $30 EQ pedal might have missed some pretty important frequencies that a 1/3 octave EQ would have covered.

Just my $.02
Steinberger GU/Spirit w/ Moses Graphite neck, EMG 81-85
"Fireball" Pacer/RG hybrid

Furman Power Conditioner
Axe-Fx Standard
ART SLA-1
Yamaha S112V
Peak FCB4N
Last edited by Mo Jiggity at Sep 8, 2010,
Quote by trashedlostfdup

I used to use a 32 band EQ all the time. I found that all you had to do was grab 3 or four bands at once to get it close and then hone in on individual frequencies to take account for errant frequencies in the hall you were playing in. Not really harder to use than a 10 band but so much more useful.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Quote by Mo Jiggity
eBay. You can usually trust a used one so long as you ask the seller a few questions and get the right answers (unless they're already answered in the auction listing), eg "Is it fully operational? Are there any problems AT ALL with it? Are any pots noisy?" etc. So long as the answer to all of those is good you ought to be fine.

**EDIT:

The first EQ I had was one with 32 bands. Although what you are saying somewhat makes sense I would also argue that having more bands at your disposal is only marginally more complicated than having, say, 8. All the bands do one of two things - cut or boost, it's just that there's more of them. I am of the school of thought that having more precise control over tone early on makes you better equipped to use an EQ in any more serious, traditional sort of context (eg live sound, recording, etc). It's also worth mentioning that a $30 EQ pedal might have missed some pretty important frequencies that a 1/3 octave EQ would have covered.

Just my $.02

i completely agree with you, all it depends on level of expreiance. the next EQ i buy will be a 32 band, which will be for recording. some people arent like me (and maybe you Jiggity) and just want to keep things simple and not want to tweak around with it as much.

also if you are just doing small gigs with a cheaper amp, it might not be worth having a rack unit while a small pedal with less bands would be more convienent for hauling.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
Quote by Mo Jiggity

I didn't know DOD made a 32 band EQ.
I've got a DOD 31 Band EQ. Bought if for, if I remember correctly 35, or 40 dollars.
For some reason, there was some sort of lube, or oil all over the pots. I had to clean it for an hour, something the old owner must've done. Pretty sure putting grease on a slider pot is a bad thing.
..I was watching my death.
Quote by trashedlostfdup

Not meaning to thread jack but I'm also looking for an EQ in that price range and I'm interested in getting a rack started. Anyone know of a good rack mount EQ for guitar or are they all pretty similar? Also, it would be nice to have one with footswitch or midi capabilities. Anyone know of any?
Founder of the EHX Users Guild
My Photography

Quote by Kyle-Rehm
Please don't tell me I'm the only one that clicked this thread thinking I would learn how to make my guitar sound like a grizzly bear.
i cant find any used rackmount EQ's that ship to Canada for a decent price
-Gibson SG Faded
-Ibanez RG5EX1L
-Modded Epiphone LP
-Fender Acoustic
*Marshall DSL15H
>Ibanez TS9
>MXR Micro Flanger
>Boss TU-3
>Danelectro Vibe
Quote by soul_power
Not meaning to thread jack but I'm also looking for an EQ in that price range and I'm interested in getting a rack started. Anyone know of a good rack mount EQ for guitar or are they all pretty similar? Also, it would be nice to have one with footswitch or midi capabilities. Anyone know of any?

MIDI capabilites and footswitch will raise the price a bit.
And, I thought that MIDI had to be digital? Meaning, good luck finding a used one for less than 70 bucks.

I never use a footswitch on mine. I just have it on all the time.
Quote by timbit2006
MIDI capabilites and footswitch will raise the price a bit.
And, I thought that MIDI had to be digital? Meaning, good luck finding a used one for less than 70 bucks.

I never use a footswitch on mine. I just have it on all the time.

Yeah, I figured it would bump the price up but in the long term I think it would be worth it for me. I'd actually prefer a footswitch to MIDI. Know of any that take a footswitch?
My Photography

Quote by Kyle-Rehm
Please don't tell me I'm the only one that clicked this thread thinking I would learn how to make my guitar sound like a grizzly bear.
Quote by soul_power
Yeah, I figured it would bump the price up but in the long term I think it would be worth it for me. I'd actually prefer a footswitch to MIDI. Know of any that take a footswitch?

It all depends on what you find.
If you're going new though, Id suggest asking someone more knowledgable with new EQs.
Quote by trashedlostfdup
Nah, if you have more bands, each band is a smaller adjustment to your tone. It's definitely more complicated, but it's not really harder. Just takes a bit more time.
Gear:
- Bugera 333
- VJ & VJ cab
- Jackson JS30
- TS9

Bugera Users Militia. We are horrible people. With a sprinkler fetish.
~ BUM: For all things extinguishing

Rackmount Tube Amp Project <<< Updates!
One thing to note about rack EQ's is that they usually do NOT come with a foot switchable bypass. Some do come with a panel switch allowing them to be set for bypass. I have the BBE 31 band EQ it has a panel mounted true hardwire bypass switch. I paid $87 shipped from musicians friend. Right now they are moving them out the door at $59 plus shipping. I have not found anything wrong with it. It works quite well sitting in my loop.
Last edited by sparkeyjames at Sep 9, 2010,
DE Fisn 'n Chips if you really wanna cheap out, used Boss GE-7 with some 'mods' if you're feeling adventurous.
Quote by Marty Friedman
Because I bend in such an unorthodox fashion; the notes kinda slide up and slide down...
Quote by sparkeyjames
One thing to note about rack EQ's is that they usually do NOT come with a foot switchable bypass. Some do come with a panel switch allowing them to be set for bypass. I have the BBE 31 band EQ it has a panel mounted true hardwire bypass switch. I paid $87 shipped from musicians friend. Right now they are moving them out the door at $59 plus shipping. I have not found anything wrong with it. It works quite well sitting in my loop.

That's easily remedied with a a true bypass looper. Although they're pretty expensive to buy they can be made for around $15-$20 and it's about the simplest pedal you can make. I looked up all the parts it would cost to make a 5 channel one and it was around $60 but IMO that's worth it because that's 5 things on your rack you can true bypass. Plus, a 5 channel is twice that much to outright buy. I know this is getting away from the whole budget consciousness thing but just a thought.
My Photography

Quote by Kyle-Rehm