Alright, when I'm doing a little sweep like this.

E---12p9-------------9--12p9---------------9-------------
B----------10-----10------------10-----10----------------
G--------------9--------------------9--------------------
D--------------------------------------------------------
A--------------------------------------------------------
E--------------------------------------------------------

I have no trouble doing it.

But when I'm doing this...

E---10p7------------7--10p7-------------7----------------
B----------7-----7-------------7-----7-------------------
G-------------7-------------------7----------------------
D--------------------------------------------------------
A--------------------------------------------------------
E--------------------------------------------------------

I tried barring it, but it just didn't sound like a proper sweep to me, and I read somewhere barring isn't the way to play this.

I tried moving my index finger from one string to the next, but I'm having so much difficulty with that. When I'm alternating between fingers, I can play well, but I've never tried switching strings with the same finger, and it takes a long time for me to do so.

Any tips?
Gear for the moment:
Epiphone Goth Explorer (w/stock pickups)
Peavey Vypyr 15 watt Amp
Boss PW-10 V-Wah Pedal
Last edited by Shredderman8160 at Sep 8, 2010,
I don't know much about sweep picking, but I'm pretty sure you'd barre it, but instead of holding all 3 strings down at once, use a rolling motion back and forth to follow the picking pattern.

That's how I'd naturally play, picking normally. I don't sweep pick so if a certain technique gets you a different sound I don't know.
Quote by sadSTATUE
Uhmmm... Well, apparently I was mentioned in a thread called "Japan and Lesbians."

Quote by Unknown_Biskit
Try typing "potatoes" with your dick then submit it.

My cover of Manchester Orchestra's "I Can Feel Your Pain"
http://www.mediafire.com/?jfvt54j4mkiiq99
Quote by gatechballer
I don't know much about sweep picking, but I'm pretty sure you'd barre it, but instead of holding all 3 strings down at once, use a rolling motion back and forth to follow the picking pattern.

That's how I'd naturally play, picking normally. I don't sweep pick so if a certain technique gets you a different sound I don't know.

Rolling motion? Never heard of that.
Gear for the moment:
Peavey Vypyr 15 watt Amp
Boss PW-10 V-Wah Pedal
It's no so much a barre as much as you are going to be rolling your index finger up and down across the seventh fret. You will set your finger up like it is barring across all 3 strings but you will be adjusting the pressure according to which string you need to be playing in an up and down motion. I hope this makes sense to you.
Satan. Grant this man the gift of revenge against his foes at the Food Network.
It's exactly what the other two have said, a rolling motion. I struggle with it too, what I find helps is doing it very slowly and practicing isolating one string at a time.
Quote by Insaneguy75
It's exactly what the other two have said, a rolling motion. I struggle with it too, what I find helps is doing it very slowly and practicing isolating one string at a time.

This.

I cannot stress enough how much help it will be to simply take it slow and develop speed and clarity over time.

Check out the 4:00 mark on this video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zEjjU3xpEuA
Last.fm

Good Trades:
lp_dude_2 / miketheslut/ kshands / alexmack

Practice slow. You have no idea how many times I've heard that in my guitar playing years.

Anyways, thanks. The video tutorial helped me get a better understanding on finger rolling now.
Gear for the moment:
Peavey Vypyr 15 watt Amp
Boss PW-10 V-Wah Pedal
Quote by Shredderman8160
Practice slow. You have no idea how many times I've heard that in my guitar playing years.

Anyways, thanks. The video tutorial helped me get a better understanding on finger rolling now.

You have no many times I heard it myself. And ignored it, keeping my poor habits much longer than I should have. People don't say it for the sake of saying it as I found out about six months ago.

Glad the video could help you out though!
Last.fm

Good Trades:
lp_dude_2 / miketheslut/ kshands / alexmack