Page 1 of 3
I was gonna say, "You must be new here..." but then I glanced at your join date.
OT: I actually do like these games somewhat and this does sound like an interesting concept. Now I wanna see it's execution.

EDIT: Plus, the other new guitar sounds alot better (conceptwise, not tonewise).
Last edited by cyco_bob56 at Sep 9, 2010,
I can play bass and guitar with my bass and guitar.

Also, people still play guitar hero/rockband?

Edit: after watching the video, that pretty much looks and costs the same as a real guitar, except you're paying for a fake thing with simulated functionality. This is like real life DLC, holy shit.
Last edited by Erias at Sep 9, 2010,
Ehh, it's still just a game. They don't rate you on tone or technique, just the fact that you can hit all the frets. Do not want.

Rather go play a real guitar. Unless Bulb's tracks got into the Rockband store. In which case do want. But then I have to figure out how to play those songs without a seven string controller...

Rockband: ERG Edition! That would be ****ing sweet!
Quote by Pat_s1t
Ok, looking through the downloadable song list, the songs there seem pretty decent. Mostly because there are two BTBAM songs there.

You win TS. I want this now.

Fanboy.

I've been excited about this for a while. For one, the Mustang controller uses MIDI to transmit note data, so I have a feeling you could use it as a MIDI controller if someone wrote a driver for it. And since most other guitar MIDI controllers cost a lot more, it's a pretty good deal. Plus, if you play on Expert, you actually learn the song and play it, which can only do good things for my guitar playing.
Ouch to some of you harsh people and yes people still play it, im a gamer chick and enjoy the hell out of playing rockband and guitar hero.... i mainly play drums and bass... but its just for fun
http://www.youtube.com/user/ladiesbass

Bass: Yamaha RBX374 (4 String)
Bass: Schecter Damien-5 (5 String)
Amp: Fender Rumble 60
Future Stack: Ampeg SVT-7PRO Head, SVT-410HLF Bass Speaker Cabinet
Quote by killboypowerhed
this is getting too difficult. its no longer a game if its a real guitar.

I Agree. Why don't they just call it "Guitar Trainer" or something like that? What they said at E3 was, "The end goal isn't to make everyone a super metal shredder". Of course there will be those few that think they're awesome because they can play pro mode on expert and think they are rock gods. I'm all for the idea of making a game more challenging and adding a new level of depth, but this is getting ridiculous.
I really don't understand the rockband/guitar hero hate, we get it, you can play real guitar, shit. So can everyone and their grandma

I have a theory, and it's that guitarists don't hate it as much as they say, but just see any mention of it as another excuse to tell everybody they play guitar
Proud follower of Åkerfeldtism

P S T F I N D E R

Quote by FFTLxx
Uhh there was this guy who didn't get any of the questions in some exam so he put 2 pencils in his nose and headbutted the desk.. and died.. that's pretty stupid.

Last edited by Putrefaction at Sep 9, 2010,
149 bucks for a ****in plastic guitar. for that you could BUY A REAL GUITAR, and not play a crappy video game.

I think I just died a bit on the inside. Why don't people just buy a real ****ing guitar?
Gibson Les Paul Studio
Yamaha Pacifica 112
Alvarez SLM
Orange Dark Terror
Orange PPC212OB 2x12 cab
Yamaha P-85 Keyboard
This is what Gameinformer has to say for the two guitars (for those who don't know):

The Squire:
-First off, CAN be used as a fully-functional MIDI-enabled guitar outside of the game. Just plug into an amp and play.
-Can be tuned to other tunings than standard and capoed outside of the game. Again, not necessary for the game itself. This also means that it DOES have six strings in addition to the buttons and those strings WILL be used in "Pro Mode".
-Recognizes hammer-ons/pull-offs and string bends but will not go in-depth with those in the game.
-Frets on the neck are sensitive to (in)correct finger placement.
-Price tag not yet confirmed (as far as I know).

The Mustang:
-(Well you saw that in the video). More of just the game's controller that people are used to.
Quote by Pat_s1t
I proudly embrace my BTBAM fanboy-ism.

I find them really underwhelming, possibly because of the worship the band gets on UG. They aren't nearly as ultra-techy or groundbreaking as everyone makes them out to be. Based on what people say about them, I was expecting them to be supermusicians from 2030. I didn't get that impression when I gave Colors a listen.
Maybe now I'll be able to play that game then.

But what makes me laugh is how the guy's saying "if they give it patience they'll be able to learn guitar" or whatever he said.
It'll be great knowing how to play, I dunno, Dream Theater songs by playing plastic buttons and stuff, but then when they think "...yeah I want to play guitar" their fingers'll be ripped to shreds.
Rockband nerds are going to cry havoc over this. Seriously, do you guys think it will be that easy for people?

First of all, harmonix needs to suck a fat one. Why? The point of rock band was to make a game where you could feel like you were playing guitar WITHOUT ACTUALLY HAVING TO LEARN. Now you know what's going to happen? People will stop playing and give up.

This doesn't make guitar any easier.

Besides, there's one thing that separates real musicians from these guys: the creativity to write songs and improvise.

Honestly, stop bitching. Are they going to know theory, or how to feel songs? No, they're going to wank the whammy bar and try to get as many points as possible. If people do start playing a bunch of shred, if anything, it'll be the death of shredding, because everyone and their mother will be able to do it.
Hey look, a stoner/doom album.

GENERATION 27: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

E-father of TheSPillow/Sam
E-brothers with Entity0009
Quote by Vince Sixx
Rockband nerds are going to cry havoc over this. Seriously, do you guys think it will be that easy for people?

First of all, harmonix needs to suck a fat one. Why? The point of rock band was to make a game where you could feel like you were playing guitar WITHOUT ACTUALLY HAVING TO LEARN. Now you know what's going to happen? People will stop playing and give up.

This doesn't make guitar any easier.

Besides, there's one thing that separates real musicians from these guys: the creativity to write songs and improvise.

Honestly, stop bitching. Are they going to know theory, or how to feel songs? No, they're going to wank the whammy bar and try to get as many points as possible. If people do start playing a bunch of shred, if anything, it'll be the death of shredding, because everyone and their mother will be able to do it.

Awesome. Then guitarists would be forced to *gasp* innovate instead of resorting to flashy displays of technique. Which isn't to say that flashy displays of technique are always uncalled for; I'm just saying that many guitarists, particularly really young ones, put too much emphasis on technique-building to the point that they can shred like crazy without being able to do much else.
I think it's a good idea for the evolution of the game. First you played shooting games with joysticks and buttons, now you play them with light guns for a more realistic effect. Same thing with music games. Plus they'll probably have a "jam" mode where it simulates an amp for you, to get people into guitar without them having to shell out the cash for a real guitar and an amp.
I'm rgrockr and I do not approve of this message.
Quote by Pat_s1t
I proudly embrace my BTBAM fanboy-ism.

Also this looks intriguing. To all the people saying "just play real guitar," learning to play guitar is intimidating to a lot of people, and it flat out doesn't interest the vast majority of kids with short attention spans who want to be able to just pick it up and play a whole song instead of taking the time to strengthen their fingers, get used to the strings, and develop muscle memory. How can you not see the appeal of casually picking up a guitar and hearing yourself play an actual song all the way through, instead of spending hours learning a simple song and as an end result being able to play it sloppily with bad tone and no style whatsoever? You all remember what that was like.

To the people saying that it will cheapen actually knowing how to play guitar, no, it won't. Somebody could play rock band for days and work their way up to being able to mimic the literal finger placement and pick hand movement and whatever, but if they picked up an actual guitar it would be clear from their playing that they don't fully have a grasp on all the nuances that come with playing, like bends and vibrato and improvisation and familiarity with the notes all over the fretboard.

And to everyone else, shut up and don't play it if it doesn't interest you.
My band, Escher
My progressive rock project, Mosaic

Quote by Lappo
clearly, the goal is to convert every thread into a discussion about BTBAM

BTBAM IS ALWAYS RELEVANT
Last edited by GodofCheesecake at Sep 9, 2010,
Nothing will ever beat GH3. Ever. It's too perfect.

Now, with that out of the way, I am pretty interested. As a guitarist for over 5 years, I love playing GH/RB and don't really associate the two with actual guitar playing. Now, it is getting a little ridiculous, I personally liked only have 5 buttons... but we'll see. It might be super fun.

edit:
2 BTBAM songs? My interest cup just got a little fuller.

edit2:

One more thing...

OLD
Last edited by Ignite at Sep 9, 2010,
Quote by GodofCheesecake

Also this looks intriguing. To all the people saying "just play real guitar," learning to play guitar is intimidating to a lot of people, and it flat out doesn't interest the vast majority of kids with short attention spans who want to be able to just pick it up and play a whole song instead of taking the time to strengthen their fingers, get used to the strings, and develop muscle memory. How can you not see the appeal of casually picking up a guitar and hearing yourself play an actual song all the way through, instead of spending hours learning a simple song and as an end result being able to play it sloppily with bad tone and no style whatsoever? You all remember what that was like.

To the people saying that it will cheapen actually knowing how to play guitar, no, it won't. Somebody could play rock band for days and work their way up to being able to mimic the literal finger placement and pick hand movement and whatever, but if they picked up an actual guitar it would be clear from their playing that they don't fully have a grasp on all the nuances that come with playing, like bends and vibrato and improvisation and familiarity with the notes all over the fretboard.

And to everyone else, shut up and don't play it if it doesn't interest you.

Jazz guitarists generally don't bend (some occasionally do quartertone bends) or use vibrato. Just sayin'.

Sure, they've got the other two down in spades, but still.
You got my point though. Guitar playing goes deeper than knowing where notes are on the fretboard for three specific songs. It's late and I couldn't think of better examples.
My band, Escher
My progressive rock project, Mosaic

Quote by Lappo
clearly, the goal is to convert every thread into a discussion about BTBAM

BTBAM IS ALWAYS RELEVANT
"... to doing crazy stuff. You've got tapping, you've got slides..."

||||||||||||||||||||
||||||||||||||||||||
||||||||||||||||||||

Quote by GodofCheesecake
You got my point though. Guitar playing goes deeper than knowing where notes are on the fretboard for three specific songs. It's late and I couldn't think of better examples.

Which is why this is still different than "Just buy a friggin' guitar already." Real guitar is more involved than just hitting the right notes; so people who just like to pretend to play in their spare time essentially get a new game to practice, and maybe some people will appreciate real guitarists more when they realize that on the game they can't write shit.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D5De9eCH1EU

That actually looks pretty cool. It can get kids started on the basics of tablature and get them to learn their favorite Rock Band songs. And after that, who knows.

The problem is all you UGers keep bitching about everything. First it's "play a real guitar" and now it's "play a real guitar, but not that one"
Quote by jetfuel495
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D5De9eCH1EU

That actually looks pretty cool. It can get kids started on the basics of tablature and get them to learn their favorite Rock Band songs. And after that, who knows.

The problem is all you UGers keep bitching about everything. First it's "play a real guitar" and now it's "play a real guitar, but not that one"

This one's not a real guitar. You can't simulate the interaction between the strum, fret, bend, etc. with this controller. I just comes closer than ever before to the real thing. If it was exactly real, what point would there be in buying the game?
there is nothing wrong with playing the guitar hero game, as long as people realise it is just a game, just because you finished the career mode on easy, it doesnt make you a guitarist

this is actually stupid, why add too much complexity,
il sara7a il sara7a, i made you a goat but i eated it

we are not racist, we hate everyone equally
Quote by Holy Katana
Awesome. Then guitarists would be forced to *gasp* innovate instead of resorting to flashy displays of technique. Which isn't to say that flashy displays of technique are always uncalled for; I'm just saying that many guitarists, particularly really young ones, put too much emphasis on technique-building to the point that they can shred like crazy without being able to do much else.

Shh, that's the point :P
Hey look, a stoner/doom album.

GENERATION 27: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

E-father of TheSPillow/Sam
E-brothers with Entity0009
I don't get. the hate.

why not get a real guitar? well

Maybe cos you can't get high scores or play along with the TV or those interactive stuff. It's just a game and it has its appeal. Besides, as others said, it's not really like playing a real guitar. It just gets closer. Of course it's nice to get closer in a game. Like a car racing game, you want the pedals, the steering wheel, etc cos it's fun to play a game yet somehow keep some realism. It's a game, a different appeal than driving a real car. Same thing here.

Just IMO.
stuff. :
PRS SE Singlecut
Peavey Triple XXX Super 40 Combo - for sale? considering selling it.
VOX Tonelab LE
Old stuff:
Ibanez GRG270CA (for sale)
Amteq LG15 (for sale)
Zoom G1 (for sale)
ITT: Bunch of 14 year olds playing the devil's advocate.
Jackson DXMG -> Vai Morley Wah -> Korg Black Tuner -> (Need a delay) -> Maxon OD808 -> BBE Sonic Maximizer -> ISP Noisegate -> Mesa Boogie Mark IV
Quote by rgrockr
This one's not a real guitar. You can't simulate the interaction between the strum, fret, bend, etc. with this controller. I just comes closer than ever before to the real thing. If it was exactly real, what point would there be in buying the game?

The one in my link is a real guitar with a MIDI pickup in it.
Page 1 of 3