I have always liked the tones I heard from artists running Marks, and I dig the price of the one I'm looking at, but what is the value of a Mark V? Why would someone WANT this particular amp? I can understand they would, just wanna hear some opinions on it! Thanks UG
Gear
---------
JS20S Satriani signature
Epiphone Les Paul Standard
Gibson SG Classic
Randall RM100 Combo w/ Plexi, JTM, Ultra, Recto, and Brown Modules
Because they get the sounds of the mark 1-4 in one amp, 3 channels with 3 modes on each channel, basically 9 ALL tube channels, plus the 5 band eq which drastically changes the sound, if you got the money it's definetely worth it, but saving up the 2 grand plus tax i don't think it's worth it, once i get a steady job i'm gonna save up the 3 grand for a head and cab
Quote by maowcat
Because they get the sounds of the mark 1-4 in one amp, 3 channels with 3 modes on each channel, basically 9 ALL tube channels, plus the 5 band eq which drastically changes the sound, if you got the money it's definetely worth it, but saving up the 2 grand plus tax i don't think it's worth it, once i get a steady job i'm gonna save up the 3 grand for a head and cab

Nope. The Mark I mode is semi accurate but the IIC+ is pretty far off and the IV mode is just a POS. Road King is better and more versatile as it hits the high gain great as well as the clean and lower gain modes. The IV has a nicer high gain channel too but the cleans are too warm IMO and rhythm 2 is widely deemed useless.
E-peen:
Rhodes Gemini
Fryette Ultra Lead
Peavey 6505
THD Flexi 50

Gibson R0 Prototype
EBMM JP13 Rosewood
Fender CS Mary Kaye

WTLT

(512) Audio Engineering - Custom Pedal Builds, Mods and Repairs
It's basically the end all modeling amp.

No, it's not "technically" a modeling amp, but for all intents and purposes it is. It behaves like one anyway, imo.

There shouldn't be anything that you can't do with it.
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
I really, really like the 1st and 2nd channels on the Mark V. Great cleans, great crunch, great metal rhythm. The 3rd channel was somewhat dissapointing, however, eventhough the Mark IIC+ and IV settings aren't very close. After A/Bing with the Mark IV, I still prefered the V. However, I wouldn't pay the new price for one.

If they took the 1st and 2nd channel from that amp and put it in a new one, with a cheaper price tag, i'd be all over it.
Quote by Dave_Mc
I've had tube amps for a while now, but never actually had any go down on me
Quote by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com
^ Maybe they'll release the Mark VA/B/C+, or even a Mark V 'stripe'?
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
What the hell is a G&L.

Quote by Flux'D
Gay & Lesbian I think, the box smelled funny
Greg what did you send me??
Quote by MatrixClaw
I really, really like the 1st and 2nd channels on the Mark V. Great cleans, great crunch, great metal rhythm. The 3rd channel was somewhat dissapointing, however, eventhough the Mark IIC+ and IV settings aren't very close. After A/Bing with the Mark IV, I still prefered the V. However, I wouldn't pay the new price for one.

If they took the 1st and 2nd channel from that amp and put it in a new one, with a cheaper price tag, i'd be all over it.

As someone who wouldn't even be using it for metal, can you recommend it? I'd be using it where my gain maxes out roughly in 80's rock =P Like, Van Halen is what I do for high gain, generally. I definitely need very good cleans, and any amount of gain hard rock, needs to be good. Metallica is arguably as heavy as I go =P

Edit: also, 1600USD for the combo a good deal?
Gear
---------
JS20S Satriani signature
Epiphone Les Paul Standard
Gibson SG Classic
Randall RM100 Combo w/ Plexi, JTM, Ultra, Recto, and Brown Modules
$1600 is a decent deal for the combo, but they're supposed to be really heavy weight-wise.

The Mark is definitely very versatile. It's not just a br00tz machine, it'll do everything you want it for.
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
What the hell is a G&L.

Quote by Flux'D
Gay & Lesbian I think, the box smelled funny
Greg what did you send me??
Quote by Phantom123
As someone who wouldn't even be using it for metal, can you recommend it? I'd be using it where my gain maxes out roughly in 80's rock =P Like, Van Halen is what I do for high gain, generally. I definitely need very good cleans, and any amount of gain hard rock, needs to be good. Metallica is arguably as heavy as I go =P

Edit: also, 1600USD for the combo a good deal?

Tbh, I'd just buy a Splawn or an Orange then. 90% of tones that are lighter than metal/hardrock are going to be a Marshall-type tone.
Quote by Dave_Mc
I've had tube amps for a while now, but never actually had any go down on me
Quote by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com
here are some pretty raw tones coming out of the Mark V, sounds pretty good for just a camera mic.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9vhMTCMaerU

I wouldn't judge too much by studio recordings, though I'm guilty of that as well.
The best thing to do is actually play it. If you like the tone of the Mark V, then get it.
Last edited by Ignite at Sep 9, 2010,
Quote by Offworld92
It's basically the end all modeling amp.

No, it's not "technically" a modeling amp, but for all intents and purposes it is. It behaves like one anyway, imo.

There shouldn't be anything that you can't do with it.

Plexi crunch.
Gear:
- Bugera 333
- VJ & VJ cab
- Jackson JS30
- TS9

Bugera Users Militia. We are horrible people. With a sprinkler fetish.
~ BUM: For all things extinguishing

Rackmount Tube Amp Project <<< Updates!
Quote by mmolteratx
Nope. The Mark I mode is semi accurate but the IIC+ is pretty far off and the IV mode is just a POS. Road King is better and more versatile as it hits the high gain great as well as the clean and lower gain modes. The IV has a nicer high gain channel too but the cleans are too warm IMO and rhythm 2 is widely deemed useless.

If you don't spend time with the amp your not gonna think highly of it, i have played it multiple times and each time it sounds amazing after some tweaking, if your judging this thing off of shitty youtube videos go play the god damn thing, if you have well then that's your opinion.
The primary reason that I went with the Mark V is it's incredible versatility. I'm often in more than one band, and the tones required throughout vary from genre to genre. The Mark V has the rare ability to get awesome clean tones, whilst also having awesome distortion. A lot of amps I tried before this either had an awesome clean channel, but not distortion, or and awesome distortion, but not clean. It's the best of both worlds with the Mark V.

Sounds like an advertisement.

As mentioned above, it takes some tweaking to get the sounds and a lot of time to have even a general idea of what the amp does. It's incredibly complex. It comes with a 50 page manual, and I personally had to read some sections literally about 10 times before understanding what it was hinting at. This is not for everyone, so you have been warned.

Finally, the Mark V carries some bragging privileges with it - like owning a Ferarri, but way cooler and more useful
And no, Guitar Hero will not help. Even on expert. Really.
Soundcloud
Quote by maowcat
If you don't spend time with the amp your not gonna think highly of it, i have played it multiple times and each time it sounds amazing after some tweaking, if your judging this thing off of shitty youtube videos go play the god damn thing, if you have well then that's your opinion.

I've played almost every amp in the Mark series on multiple occasions at moderate stage volume. I've gigged with a III and a IV several times. I love those amps. I have friends that have the V or have owned the V. I haven't gigged with that amp but I've gigged with them when they were playing it. The Mark V has a killer clean channel and the dirty rhythm channel is very solid. The high gain channel is just disappointing every time I've tried it. I had major GAS for a Mark V when they first came out but after I tried one I'm glad I didn't preorder it and drop the cash.

3 out of 4 friends that bought them have flipped them. One kept his because he really only does studio work and he loved the clean channel so much. I know many will agree that the Mark IIC+ and Mark IV tones are not in the Mark V at all.
E-peen:
Rhodes Gemini
Fryette Ultra Lead
Peavey 6505
THD Flexi 50

Gibson R0 Prototype
EBMM JP13 Rosewood
Fender CS Mary Kaye

WTLT

(512) Audio Engineering - Custom Pedal Builds, Mods and Repairs
Last edited by mmolteratx at Sep 10, 2010,
why? because it's made by mesa, and says boogie on it thats why

honestly i prefer the sound of a rectifier, but the mark V has awesome cleans
Gear:
My Voice
PRS Tremonti II
PRS Hollowbody II w/ Piezo Blue Matteo
PRS 513 25th anniversary
PRS Tremonti SE
Fender John Mayer Relic strat "the black one"

did i mention i like PRS?

20th Anniversary Bogner Shiva
Basically, the debate is constantly going to be between the Mark Series and the Rectifier series. The Rectifier is all out Br00tz essentially...

...The Mark series...its not a vintage sounding amp per se....but its not quite as gainy as the Rec.

I prefer the Rec for the type of music I play, but the Mark V is still a great amp.
Quote by rmr024
Well, in California, people carry around devices that control the minds of bears. So expect to see people walking their bears.

Also, don't be surprised if some robot hookers try to solicit sex to you on the streets.
Quote by MatrixClaw
Tbh, I'd just buy a Splawn or an Orange then. 90% of tones that are lighter than metal/hardrock are going to be a Marshall-type tone.

This. It sounds like you're not really in need of Mesa gain.
Quote by rmr024
Well, in California, people carry around devices that control the minds of bears. So expect to see people walking their bears.

Also, don't be surprised if some robot hookers try to solicit sex to you on the streets.