Which seems to have more variety/diversity?

I was thinking about this today and all my answers have been evenly matched since both contain so much culture, history and inventors, while sometimes even coexisting with each other in both entertainment and lifestyle.

To me, they are both art forms, but is there a higher ground between both music and food?
Most of the important things

in the world have been accomplished

by people who have kept on

trying when there seemed to be no hope at all
my mom once told me each culture give music and food to the world now stop playing the guitar so you can eat
so im guessing they on equal ground
I'd say it's the same
Instruments and layering are like ingredients, hot sauces, and spices.

For the record, I like to enjoy a Guinness and a Burger while listening to some Humble Pie on every occasion I get
Quote by JacobTheMe
JacobTheEdit: Hell yeah Ruben.

Quote by Jackal58
I met Jesus once. Cocksucker still owes me 20 bucks.
I say food has more variety and diversity. Plus it appeals to two senses (touch, taste), as opposed to music only appealing to our aural senses.

Edit: I don't necessarily consider food to be hierarchically "better" than music or anything though. I think my decision is also based in that music is more abstract whereas food has tangible substance to it.

Edit2: It has come to my attention I forgot smell.
Last edited by RU Experienced? at Sep 9, 2010,
they are both tangible. music is the compression and decompression of air molecules and taste, smell, and texture all have to do with chemical makeup. i prefer music, but thats because i am a guitarist. im sure a chef would enjoy expressing his feelings through his cooking. i think that is the real arguement. the feeling you get when you eat as compared to when you listen to music. food appeals to more senses, but that doesnt necessarily mean it is better.

*edit*food could arguably be more diverse b/c more ppl cook than play instruments or make music, but each musician brings their own thing to the table. still a toughie

I vote Music
Last edited by Zakattak264 at Sep 9, 2010,
Sustenance VS. Entertainment...

They have to be damn near equals for the sake of diversity. But, even though food stimulates more senses, you can't enjoy it all day. So...

Music > Food
XBOX LIVE Gamertag: Jazz Funeral
Currently killing with The Nunts crew in Max Payne 3

Quote by Weaponized
ON LIGHTNING.
well, if you don't eat, you die, so I'll say that food > music, but of course, life without music is hardly living.
Albums I Must Obtain
Call me Paul. I prefer that.
Quote by fretsonfire74
I think you're my soulmate
I've never felt particularly emotional over a really nice sandwich. At most I've thought "this is quite nice, I may eat it slowly instead of eating hurriedly so as to get back to whatever I was doing. Such as playing music".
I'LL PUNCH A DONKEY IN THE STREETS OF GALWAY
When you're full you don't want to eat. But you can never really get tired of music.
I'm rgrockr and I do not approve of this message.
Quote by rgrockr
When you're full you don't want to eat. But you can never really get tired of music.

this wouldnt explain obesity
Epiphone Dot Cherry red
Fender Standard Stratocaster black 1980s model
Epiphone EJ-200CE Natural
Telecaster Fender custom
Roland Micro Cube
Fender Hot Rod DeVille
orange tiny terror
Most diversity? Hard to say, but I think food.
Quote by shattamakar
The only advantage of home-schooling is that it gives you good reason to commit suicide.

Hit this once or twice, and you'll be twice as nice.
Quote by ShortSpaceWAng
this wouldnt explain obesity

Obesity is generally caused by eating shit with way too many calories, resulting in more weight gain on the same approximate amount of food. Fat isn't a bunch of undigested food, it's a substance your body makes to store energy.
Music has more diversity. The possibilities in music are infinite, and not just in terms of how well you play a song, but the song itself. Food is limited by the amount of ingredients available on the planet, as well as the human digestive system.
I mean, Merzbow would be the equivalent of eating stale food, and while one appeals to a small minority, stale food will make everyone sick.

It's a very fine line, but I think that music is more diverse.
Quote by CoreysMonster
Music has more diversity. The possibilities in music are infinite, and not just in terms of how well you play a song, but the song itself. Food is limited by the amount of ingredients available on the planet, as well as the human digestive system.
I mean, Merzbow would be the equivalent of eating stale food, and while one appeals to a small minority, stale food will make everyone sick.

It's a very fine line, but I think that music is more diverse.

You could argue that music is limited by sound frequency and humans' audible threshold.
Quote by captaincrunk
An instrument can have a taste, and there are such things as music videos. I think we should stick to the basics though.

killjoy.
Quote by captaincrunk
An instrument can have a taste, and there are such things as music videos. I think we should stick to the basics though.

I think he's talking about things like sizzling foods, cracking of lobster, etc. rather than the sound of dropping a piece of chicken on the floor (which is equivalent to someone licking a guitar, unless I misunderstood your post).
Quote by shattamakar
The only advantage of home-schooling is that it gives you good reason to commit suicide.

Hit this once or twice, and you'll be twice as nice.
Quote by rgrockr
You could argue that music is limited by sound frequency and humans' audible threshold.

Check and mate.

Not to mention deaf ppl can eat and taste...

ohhohoh

canofworms.jpg
Quote by JacobTheMe

Quote by Jackal58
Quote by rgrockr

hmmm good point. Damn, this is a tough one.

Damn you Nelsean, now I'm gonna be thinking about this all day long
Quote by CoreysMonster

Also, some people are "super-tasters" and have more numerous taste buds. So there's more to food than you even know!
Quote by CoreysMonster

however, you could also argue that food in itself could be limited by too many things
too much heat, sugar, etc...

2ndcanofworms.jpg
Quote by JacobTheMe

Quote by Jackal58
Music and food doesn't exist.

/meta
Most of the important things

in the world have been accomplished

by people who have kept on

trying when there seemed to be no hope at all