When I'm playing a chord like G Major, I know it's G since the lowest note, which is the root note, is third fret on E, which is G.

But I'm very confused on finding keys to the melody, AKA solos.

For example, how do I find out what key this piece of the solo from Crazy Train is in?

E---17---16---14-------------14---16---17---17b19---------------------------------------
B-------------------17b19----------------------------------------------------------------
G----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
D----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
A----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
E----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

E---14--17p14------14--------------------------------------------------------------------
B--------------17------17p15p14--15p14---------------------17----------------------------
G----------------------------------------16---14---16b18--------16-----------------------
D----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
A----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
E----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Not sure if this is the correct tab, but it'll do.
Gear for the moment:
Epiphone Goth Explorer (w/stock pickups)
Peavey Vypyr 15 watt Amp
Boss PW-10 V-Wah Pedal
Looking at the notes themselves it seems a straight A or F#m.

Play the phrase, not necessarily at speed, and add a note or two at the end to see where it sounds like it has come to a natural end or play the phrase until it sounds complete eg leave out last x notes.

As Sean says learn the notes of the fretboard and how to construct Major and Minors scales. FWIW the lowest note doesn't always let you know the chord. eg If you play an open C chord and add a G on the 3rd Fret of the low E string it is still a C.
Last edited by Easewald at Sep 9, 2010,
Quote by Sean0913
Have you tried to learn construction of major and minor scales, keys, notes of the guitar neck, anything along those lines, that would help you answer this?

Sean

I know keys to chords, power chords, and simple riffs. I know the notes of the guitar neck, and have some of them memorized. I have no idea about construction of scales.
Gear for the moment:
Peavey Vypyr 15 watt Amp
Boss PW-10 V-Wah Pedal
Quote by Shredderman8160
I know keys to chords, power chords, and simple riffs. I know the notes of the guitar neck, and have some of them memorized. I have no idea about construction of scales.

You might want to Google how to construct Major and Minor scales. Or look at Mike Dodges website and a series here called the Ultimate Guide to Guitar, that might help you understand how scales are made. Its not too ahrd, and you'll feel smarter musically. If I can be of any help, feel free to IM me.

Best,

Sean
Quote by Shredderman8160
When I'm playing a chord like G Major, I know it's G since the lowest note, which is the root note, is third fret on E, which is G.

For example, how do I find out what key this piece of the solo from Crazy Train is in?

E---17---16---14-------------14---16---17---17b19---------------------------------------
B-------------------17b19----------------------------------------------------------------
G----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

E---14--17p14------14--------------------------------------------------------------------
B--------------17------17p15p14--15p14---------------------17----------------------------
G----------------------------------------16---14---16b18--------16-----------------------

Not sure if this is the correct tab, but it'll do.

You need to look at the whole song, not just a tiny part of it - in particular you need to look at the chords the solo is being played over.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Quote by Shredderman8160
[...]

For example, how do I [...]

The first thing I did when I looked at that tab was try and see which scale it fit into. I recommend you learn some basic scales.

Start off learning the minor and major pentatonic scales -- preferably in all positions on the fretboard. Once you know these scales, learning more complex scales and modes will become easier as most of these can be seen as extensions to the pentatonic scale.

Like Easewald said, it looks like straight A major or F# minor.
Quote by willemhdb
The first thing I did when I looked at that tab was try and see which scale it fit into. I recommend you learn some basic scales.

Start off learning the minor and major pentatonic scales -- preferably in all positions on the fretboard. Once you know these scales, learning more complex scales and modes will become easier as most of these can be seen as extensions to the pentatonic scale.

Like Easewald said, it looks like straight A major or F# minor.

Come to think of it, I have noticed that the second part uses the minor pentatonic scale, although that would go 14 17 on E, 14 16 on A, and so forth. Is the 15 on B part of a major scale? Cause I've never used that note for minor pentatonic.
Gear for the moment:
Peavey Vypyr 15 watt Amp
Boss PW-10 V-Wah Pedal
Last edited by Shredderman8160 at Sep 9, 2010,
Yes, the A major scale....which is coincidentally the key of Crazy Train
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com