last week i bough a Marshall MA100C. the day after i bought it i notice some tube rattle (i dont really know if it is the tubes but thats the the best wak to explain it), so i took it back to the shop where it refused to make the rattle. Nevertheless i returned it back and they sent for a new one.
I picked up the new one and tried it out at the shop where it sounded fine but the minute i plugged it in at home it rattled far worse than the old one. its not coming through the speakers (i dont think) but it can be still easily heard when i play. I'v tried it on carpet and tiles and neither made any difference.
i know its not a high class expensive tube amp but iv never heard any other tube amps do this.
i dont know what to do. can i take it back and say i want a refund? im afraid that when i take it to the shop it will stop rattling. should i make some audio clips of it rattling?

what should i do, im confused, frustrated and a bit pissed of?

TL;DR - new amp - rattled - took it back - got new one - rattles even worse - what should i do?
i'm guessing you have something funky with your house power or another source of interference close to the house like a radio tower and the like.

I played the MA, and as much as I didn't care for it, it certainly did not have those kinds of issues.
Quote by 311ZOSOVHJH
i'm guessing you have something funky with your house power or another source of interference close to the house like a radio tower and the like.

I played the MA, and as much as I didn't care for it, it certainly did not have those kinds of issues.

im pretty sure theres nothing up with my house power. its in my room which is quite far from the nearest appliance that could cause interference. i might take it to someone elses house to see what happens there.

im starting to feel not really impressed by its sound, and finding it just a bit average. maybe a bit muddy and distortion slightly buzzy. Probably the reason i turned it on, played for 10 minutes then walked out in disgust/frustrated and came on here.
Quote by forsaknazrael
Are you using the same guitar and cable when you try it at home and in store?

what do you mean by rattling, anyway?

well im not sure if its the tubes rattling or not, but it sounds like a loud glass rattle/buzz whenever i play chords or power chords, smame guitar as in the store and my cable is higher quality than the one in the store.
i plugged it in in a different plug at the other end of the house and it was pretty much the same, slightly better but not good by any means. seemed to rattle a little less when my mom pushed down on the top....
It rattled less when she pushed down on it? THat sounds like bad joinery to me. What sort of dodgey cabinet making are Marshall doing with their cheaper amps these days? Two in a row? That doesn't sound good.
What is it sitting on? Could be something else in the room that's actually rattling? Try it out in the great outdoors.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Quote by beckyjc
TAke it back. Go buy a less mediocre amp.

i am taking it back into the shop and demanding a refund

Quote by Cathbard
It rattled less when she pushed down on it? THat sounds like bad joinery to me. What sort of dodgey cabinet making are Marshall doing with their cheaper amps these days? Two in a row? That doesn't sound good.
What is it sitting on? Could be something else in the room that's actually rattling? Try it out in the great outdoors.

i though it was the snare on my drums in my room but i took that off an that wasnt it. iv tried it on different surfaces and rooms in the house. Its definatley coming from the amp as when you put your ear closer you can tell.
as for trying it outdoors, i mean what goods an amp if you cant play it inside or in your room?
Quote by CreepingDeath13
i though it was the snare on my drums in my room but i took that off an that wasnt it. iv tried it on different surfaces and rooms in the house. Its definatley coming from the amp as when you put your ear closer you can tell.
as for trying it outdoors, i mean what goods an amp if you cant play it inside or in your room?

I just meant to take it outside as a test to rule out any acoustics in the room.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
theyve refunded my money.
so, what to get now... theyre ordering in a blackstar 20w head and i think the 60w combo.
any other suggestions
all amps rattle to some degree when they're turned up. heads are better than combos as far as "rattle" goes. heads rattle less. combos are prone to rattling.
Call me "Shot".

ShotRod Guitar Works

Custom Hand-wired Amplifiers and Effect Pedals.

Est. 2007

Source to everything I say about Guitars, Pedals, and Amplifiers: I make them.

UG's Best DIY PedalBoard
Quote by ECistheBest
all amps rattle to some degree when they're turned up. heads are better than combos as far as "rattle" goes. heads rattle less. combos are prone to rattling.

na it was heaps more than the usual rattle
So let's cut to the chase.

Budget?
Genres? (what do you play the most...bands and such)
Current Gear?
Closest City? (or closest GC)
Home or Gig?
New or Used? (please look at used gear too)

that rattle could have been anything. When you go back, play it again at the store for 10 seconds and tell us if it is still there. My guess is that it was tube rattle. That can happen on lots of different amps. Not defending the MA, I thought it was junk.
im glad i dont still have the MA

Budget? $2000NZ -> $1200US
Genres? hard rock -> thrash/metal (ACDC, GnR, Megadeth/Metallica)
Current Gear? Epi g400 1965, spider 3 15w
Closest City? Palmerston north, live in NZ so no GC or Craigslist. if you really want to you can look on www.trademe.co.nz
Home or Gig? at the moment home use but also the ocassional band practice where it will be unmicced, hopefully gigs in future
New or Used? im open to both so long as i can try out before i buy

i dont want a 4x12 as its to impractical to move around. either 2x12 (or maybe 1x12) cab with a head. or a decent combo.

oh and 2 channels - clean and OD
Last edited by CreepingDeath13 at Sep 10, 2010,
Cool site. I like the layout.

here was stuff I would consider in price range, didn't go to next page
http://www.trademe.co.nz/browse/searchresults.aspx?searchType=0343-0892-1118-&searchString=amps&x=0&y=0&searchregion=100&type=Search&redirectFromAll=False&generalSearch_keypresses=4&generalSearch_suggested=0&sort_order=price_desc

30th Annv HW Marshall Combo
Matamp MkVI
Mesa Rectoverb 50
Mesa Dual Rec
Peavey XXX
Marshall JVM and cab
Engl Fireball 60
Marshall DSL

For what you play the Marshall tone would best. Never played a Rectoverb but that is the one I would buy...I'm sure it can pull off whatever.
Last edited by 311ZOSOVHJH at Sep 10, 2010,
ok thanks man. i might hve to take another trip across the countryside trying them out
would be mostly interested in these 2 as they fall within my budget with both an amp and head:
Marshall JVM and cab
Marshall DSL
A mesa or engl would be nice but theres still quite a bit more money on top of that for a cab
OK.

Also check out that Mesa Nomad and Subway Rocket on the 2nd page. I also see a Hiwatt, Orange Rocker 30, Ampeg Jet II, Carvin V3, Egnater Rebel 30, and some more DSLs. Not sure on the voicing of the Hiwatt or the Ampeg.

greg? anyone?
the dsl if you have to go marshall. i saw a carvin v3 head that would probably do the job very well, they get a lot of love but i haven't tried that head yet. both of those are 100 watts which can tend to be a bit of overkill for mostly home use.

there were a few combos as well, the h&k edition tube 20 combo would probably be a good match. It has a fair amount of gain, it's a 1x12 combo, home friendly, doesn't weigh a shitton. worth a try, 2 channels, effects loop, reverb etc.

there was a dsl401 combo, i'm ok with that one, others want to burn it with fire.

i haven't tried the smaller mesa combos really to comment.

it's all taste really, you're right to want to try these. that's really what you need to do but those are some i would give a go to. (and any others in the neighborhood.)
I wondered why the frisbee was getting bigger, then it hit me.