I'm probably being childish by getting angry over something so small, but fuck it.

So yesterday I went to enroll at college, all went great, spoke to a couple of old tutors and was told the course would be free for me since i'm not working and I didn't have any A levels. They said I could even claim ALG AND sign on while there since the course was only 15 hours.....turns out they were wrong..

I went back today with my qualifications expecting to be enrolled and that was that. While I was being processed I was directed to the fees area, again expecting them to just say "yep, the course is free for you", only to be told I have to pay them £25 there and then PLUS pay £170 in installments because I wasn't getting any benefits.

They also told me I can't sign on either as the course is actually 16 hours and not 15. I told them that the guy yesterday told me the complete opposite but he pretty much said "Too bad".

I'm actually lucky that he let me off with the £25 upfront fee until tomorrow. Also looking at the paper they gave me it says the total fee is around £1,000.....if they expect me to pay that they can go fuck themselves.

I'm going back tommorw with the money but I wont hand it to them until they can actually confirm how much the course is.

tl;dr cool story, bro.

Topic, things that piss you of I guess.
Three words, brah.

Get.

A.

Job.
Quote by GLP_Arclite
Pooping is well good though, to be fair.

I've got a handle on the fiction.

I'm losing my grip, 'cos I'm losing my fingers.
Quote by metacarpi
Three words, brah.

Get.

A.

Job.

Yea I know. I actually want to do this course and go to uni though.
I have bad day too, relax champion.
hide your kids, hide your wife.

Quote by angus_young_32
I'd rather kill myself than commit suicide.

UG Hatecrew FTW
Quote by maggot9779
Yea I know. I actually want to do this course and go to uni though.

Why not do both? I worked and paid my way through both 6th form and Uni. It's hard work, but it's do-able.
Quote by GLP_Arclite

Quote by metacarpi
Why not do both? I worked and paid my way through both 6th form and Uni. It's hard work, but it's do-able.

Good point. It would have to be a weekend job or a job with shitty hours though since the course is full time.
Quote by maggot9779
Good point. It would have to be a weekend job or a job with shitty hours though since the course is full time.

When I was starting at Uni I worked late shifts at a Bargain Booze type place, and at weekends I worked at a local supermarket.

It's tiring, it's hard, but it's do-able, and if you can stay at your parents, you can get through Uni pretty much debt free.
Quote by GLP_Arclite

Don't have A levels and want to get into uni. You dun goofed.
Quote by metacarpi

Do as he says if it's what you really want.
Check out my Tumblr
Quote by Victory2134
The world seemed like a better place when I didn't know what racism, genocide, and the internet was.
Quote by Conformist

Do as he says if it's what you really want.

This course is the equivalent to A levels. So when I pass this I could go on to HND then Uni.
Quote by maggot9779
Cool, thanks.

I'm still pissed off though

Completely understandable mate. I know my advice doesn't exactly help with your cirrent predicament, but it's well worth considering.

If you think you can do it, then I would heartily recommend taking it on. Not only will you get a great sense of achievement when you've graduated with next to no debt, but you also have a lot of experience, and it's a damn fine thing to be able to mention to interviewers for potential "real" jobs that you worked your own way through uni.

Hard work ethic, motivated, self-supporting, driven.... they'll practically give you the job on the spot.

Quote by Conformist

There are plenty of ways to get into university without A-Levels.
Quote by GLP_Arclite

Last edited by metacarpi at Sep 9, 2010,
Quote by maggot9779

I thought it was 16 hours?
Rhythm in Jump. Dancing Close to You.

Quote by element4433
Yeah. people, like Lemoninfluence, are hypocrites and should have all their opinions invalidated from here on out.
Yea, Im not gonna lie i don't feel that bad for you that you have to pay for school. Im in University now and im paying my full tuition while working part time. During the summer i averaged like 50 hours of work a week. With the money im saving ill be able to move out of my parents house next year. Btw work hard and get scholarships they are worth it
Quote by Lemoninfluence
I thought it was 16 hours?

Well, 15 hours is part time and I was told that was what the course was, but all of a sudden it's 16 hours, so that is classed as full time I guess.

Quote by metharian
Yea, Im not gonna lie i don't feel that bad for you that you have to pay for school. Im in University now and im paying my full tuition while working part time. During the summer i averaged like 50 hours of work a week. With the money im saving ill be able to move out of my parents house next year. Btw work hard and get scholarships they are worth it

Yea, I would have payed for it if I was told straight up that it would cost me. I'm just angry that I was told two completely different things. One of them was a tutor aswell so he must have known that the course is actually 16 hours.
I am convinced that every college/university in the world has an incompetent and asshole bursar office.

...modes and scales are still useless.

Quote by PhoenixGRM
Hey guys could you spare a minute to Vote for my band. Go to the site Search our band Listana with CTRL+F for quick and vote Thank you .
Quote by sam b
Voted for Patron Çıldırdı.

Thanks
Quote by PhoenixGRM
But our Band is Listana
Yeah it's pretty simple, man. Get a job. I don't work and can easily get a job, but I don't piss and moan about not having money.

Simple fact of life: You need money to do shit.
This is quite odd as I start an Access to Higher Education course on monday and I got it free as I have no A Levels and never went to college or 6th form before, I also had done an Open University course I had to pay for before enrolling at the college and I work full time (30 hours per week) but they still gave me it for free so if I was you I would speak to the course heads before paying as thats what I did as the college wouldn't let me enrol because I didn't score high enough on there maths test but I have more GCSEs than required to get on the course, so when i spoke to the department heads they said I could do the course, for free and they put me on a fast track programme so I only do 1 year at college instead of 2.

So yeah, I recommend speaking to the department heads instead of student services from what I experienced
My Guitars:
Epiphone Flying V
Westfield SG
Laney Lc15110 230 G Tube Combo 15W
Presonus Audiobox USB

check out http://soundcloud.com/
eddiechance
You're right to be pissed. But just because you're pissed, doesn't mean you can stop working. You gotta take shit like this into your own hands. Get shit done. Maybe you'll have to work a crappy job for a while, but we all have to do what's needed to get what we want in life, because no one's going to hand it to you.
Quote by shattamakar
The only advantage of home-schooling is that it gives you good reason to commit suicide.

Hit this once or twice, and you'll be twice as nice.
Most people in this thread saying "get a job" most likely never had a job before.
Quote by Kumanji
How about you don't insult my friend's dead mum, you prick.

Quote by JDawg
Too be he had to be a dick about his crayons.
You just live in the wrong country. Your own fault!
Quote by Carmel
I can't believe you are whoring yourself out like that.

ಠ_ಠ
*linkin park joke*

I have the same problem with my accouting course i had to pay about £250 for it then the government with all their cuts stopped the funding so its now over £1000 time are tough tbh the best option would be to go to 6th form at your high school.

also on the whole "get a job" front its alot harder than you think
Without music, life would be a mistake.
Friedrich Nietzsche

Quote by noob888
I love you for that thread...

Quote by MightyAl
I am now mentally scarred by the image of Peter Crouch getting penalised.
What doesn't piss me off?
They made me do push ups in drag

I'm gonna have a really hard time if we're both cannibals and racists.

Don't dress as a whore, he'll thump you.

I'm a firework, primed to go off
Quick update for anyone that gives a shit (I doubt you do but whatever)

I went back today and was told it is £170 (when she saw the form saying £1000 she was like "oh my gaaawd that's a scary amount, even for me and I work" she was pretty cool though) so I paid the £25 registration fee.

She also told me I could get learner support to pay course fees (except i'm not paying tuition fees, just exam fees, which is odd) so she pointed me to a guy that helped me out.

Turns out I can't even get a fucking bus pass either so I have to stretch the ALG until I can find a job.

I have to go back on Monday for induction then i'm a student, again.
I'm a Uni student and pay thousands a year

Honestly, stop moaning.

I'll probably sound like a dick, but paying is part of life.

Not flaming, just my opinion
RIP Tom Searle.
Wow, you Brits go to school for cheap. I'm going to school here in the states for nearly $30,000 a year. Well, at least I would be if I wasn't getting a full scholarship.
Call me Jack.
All that you love...
...you must love now.
My Gear:
PRS Custom 24
Standard MIM Tele
Larrivée LV-09E
Rivera Clubster 45 112 Combo Tube
Boss ME-20 Multi-effects pedal
Boss OC-3 Super octave pedal
My own home-made octave-up pedal