Hey all. At the moment I'm using a Laney VC30-210 and running a Boss GT-6 effects board thru my 2 guitars (See sig). The pedal board is extremely good in terms of what you can do with it, you could spend hours on it changing sounds etc. But compared to my other guitarists setup, who's is more 'physical' you can say (with having pedals), it's doesn't sound as great tone wise.

We had a sound tech guy come to our practice last night and he mentioned that my sound was very digital, to which I agreed, and that I'd have to work on kinda matching my other guitarists sound/tone level for certain songs to work. But I don't think I'm ever going to get away from that digital sound if I'm using the GT-6.

Although the pedal board isn't mine, it's my drummers, and he wants me to pay £150 for it, which isn't a bad price. But I'm thinking of ditching that and getting some pedals instead. I'm a huge Nirvana fan so obv. a DS2 and a small clone chorus can be bought for £90, which leaves me money spare to buy other effects. I also have a DS1 which I plan on doing the Keeley mod to.

Just wondering your thoughts on this?
Yamaha Pacifica 112j
Marshall JCM 100DSL
Custom 2x12 G12H Extension Cab

Nevermind.........
Last edited by vacant_pistol at Sep 9, 2010,
Notice how all the products you're planning on using/are using are typical Boss pedals... Here's part of your tone problem.
So suggest some other ones then......are Boss that bad? I really don't know.

There's no decent music shops round here for miles and miles that can give you a non-crappy guitar, wanky amp and dodgy pedal for you to try it out. I'm willing to travel but I'd rather know beforehand what's going to be worth testing.
Yamaha Pacifica 112j
Marshall JCM 100DSL

Nevermind.........
Last edited by vacant_pistol at Sep 9, 2010,
Well considering I have no idea what type of sound you're looking for, or what your other guitarist sounds like, I really can't recommend much. Try some of Electro-Harmonix's stuff, most of their pedals are pretty decent, and give you more options to adjust your sound. Take a look at some off brand distortion's. There are so many out there to choose from, find one that fits your style.
YouTube will be your best friend for testing pedals before you buy them. Look up some reviews and such.
Last edited by sickstring11 at Sep 9, 2010,
IMO it all depends on what you are paired up with.

Two examples:

Buddy plays a Spider Valve, other guitarist was using my Peavey at a show. The Spider seemed quite thin and didn't cut through quite as much.

Other show, one guitarist was using the Pod X3 Live, the other a vetta, and they sounded friggin amazing together, really, really nice tone. When paired together it sounded wicked, but when paired up against a tube amp, they may not get through quite as well. not saying one or the other is bad, but it depends on the situation as well.
^ Very true. I'll find out what equipment (head/amp) he's using. His sounds is, fluffy? Lol, hard to explain.

I want a nice overdriving sound with mids, and crunch. Obviously a chorus pedal too.
Yamaha Pacifica 112j
Marshall JCM 100DSL

Nevermind.........
Okay hang on a sec.

How are you running the GT-6 through your Laney? Are you using it PURELY for effects or are you running the actual amp/cabinet models into a clean channel on your amp?

If you like the basic tone of your amp and are just looking to use effects, make sure that the amp/cab sims on your GT-6 are OFF.

If you're trying to use the amp/cab sims to get a better tone out of your amp, don't waste your money with pedals. Save up and invest in an amp with the tone you're looking for.
Ibanez RGA121 | ESP LTD H-1000
Axe-FX Standard
Quote by DrNick
Okay hang on a sec.

How are you running the GT-6 through your Laney? Are you using it PURELY for effects or are you running the actual amp/cabinet models into a clean channel on your amp?

If you like the basic tone of your amp and are just looking to use effects, make sure that the amp/cab sims on your GT-6 are OFF.

If you're trying to use the amp/cab sims to get a better tone out of your amp, don't waste your money with pedals. Save up and invest in an amp with the tone you're looking for.

I'm running it via the the effects return.

I never really thought about using it to just boost the amp with turning the sims off, I'll be trying that next session. But which one should I run the GT-6 through, clean (Low/High output) or FX loop? I always used it that was because I never thought the drive on the VC30 packed enough punch on it's own.
Yamaha Pacifica 112j
Marshall JCM 100DSL

Nevermind.........
If you want to use it to boost, run it in front. It sounds like you're looking to play heavier styles so try it through the High input.

When you want to set it up as a boost, make sure that amp/cab sims are off and only use an overdrive sim (plus whatever other effects you're looking to try).
Ibanez RGA121 | ESP LTD H-1000
Axe-FX Standard
google Boss GT-x Set-up v02.pdf and read that for GT-6 application and configuration help.

the document can help you liven/warm up the output you are getting.

i have read some of this document for my GT10 and read another 90pg doc for the GT8
Last edited by iampeter at Sep 9, 2010,
If you have some cash, sell your GT6 and get a new one, like the GT10. The new boss multi FX are way better sounding than the old ones. The old ones are very digital, like you said. I'm not as familiar with the GT series, but the new ME's (ME70) sound pretty damn good. The GT can only be better, right?

Of course, building a pedal board will always sound better, but if you use a lot of effects, it can easily cost up to 10x as much (assuming new prices). I'm just getting the foundations for mine started, and I already I wish I would have gone for an ME-70 initially, then started building up the real thing, just from a financial standpoint. Out of the 14 pedals that will eventually be in my pedalboard, I have 4, and it's getting really expensive.
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
since he has not purchased the GT-6, dont buy it and wait until the next gen MFX are out

Line 6 HD line is going to get released, and to compete with that, i am sure roland will release the next boss GT :P