Hi, I've got a Marshall DSL401, and I accidently left it on overnight, and the volume dropped to almost nothing, anyway, since then it's been revalved and biased, but the shop (who revalved it) phoned me to say that with the new valves, it is louder, but still not as good as it should be. Anyway, I might sell it and buy a new amp, but how much could I get for it seeing as it probably has to be fixed?
Gibson SG Standard, Gibson SG 60s tribute, Edwards Les Paul, Fender Telecaster, Epiphone SG Custom
Did the shop give any indication as to what exactly is wrong with it, and how much fixing THAT issue would cost?

More often than not, it's worth the money to get the amp fixed. If you try to sell it with a "problem," you'll most likely get lowballed anyway.
Ibanez RGA121 | ESP LTD H-1000
Axe-FX Standard
That's the thing, the shop doesn't know, I just thought it was the valves so took it to them, the thing is I was considering buying a new one anyway.
Gibson SG Standard, Gibson SG 60s tribute, Edwards Les Paul, Fender Telecaster, Epiphone SG Custom
Any decent shop should give you a free (or at least cheap) inspection and estimate to figure out what the real problem with your amp is.

Anyway, let me give you an example of what I'm talking about. My 6505+ was having some issues that I was pretty sure were related to power tubes but I wasn't 100% sure. A 6505+ sells for about $600 used. I was considering a new amp myself so I figured I'd try to sell it for $500, factoring in about $100 that the buyer would have to spend on power tubes. The amp never sold - the few people who were interested were REALLY lowballing me on price (I got an offer of $300 that I didn't even bother replying to).

I ended up keeping the amp but I'm sure that if I sold it now, I'd definitely get close to my asking price. That's why I'm saying that if it turns out to be a relatively cheap fix, you should really just spend the money. You'll have a much easier time selling it and getting the cash for your new amp.
Ibanez RGA121 | ESP LTD H-1000
Axe-FX Standard
Last edited by DrNick at Sep 9, 2010,