Yep, I bought an acoustic guitar around a month ago and i'm having trouble getting to grips with chords and strumming techniques, i'd really love to just begin learning songs but its impossible without being familiar with any chords. Most of the lessons i've found are somewhat confusing and ambiguous.

Any help would be appreciated.
The way I got started was by picking a couple of simple songs that I liked, and learning the chords as I came to them. Then again, I shied away from the harder ones at first..

Look up "open guitar chords" - great way to start on acoustic. When you're familiar with these and can swap between them easily, check out "barre chords"

Best of luck, welcome to the acoustic world
When i was first learning to play, I found it helpful to just hold the guitar and fiddle with it in, not really doing and chords, but rather just getting used having my fingers move in different ways. it wasn't until a bit after that I actually started up with chords. But if I am to recommend some ways to get into it, I would suggest starting with some of the easier chords:
E, Emn, A, C. Some of the vids can be confusing, agreed. Perhaps try getting a poster or sheet with all the basic chords. Just put your fingers in those positions and dont worry about ****ing it up. the movements between chords will be difficult at first, but practice everyday and bingo-bango! you will get better.
first, get a chord chart. this usually shows how to do all the chords. then try to look for simple 4-chord songs and practice until you can play them well. as you learn more complex songs later on, you'll learn new chords too, just refer to your chord chart when an unfamiliar chord comes up.
This is a great website for finding tabs for songs you might like. Try to find some that have 3 or 4 chords so you can have something fun while you are practicing.

At first, it is a lot of just fingering a chord, strumming it, changing to another one etc

Two great websites

www.justinguitar.com
www.brightonguitar.com

Brighton seems to have better quality videos and better close ups of the hands so you can see what is happening
, Justin guitar has a kind of step by step starter course. I really liked that when I was first starting.

There is also a guy on youtube. Marty Swartzman I think? His site is next level guitar, but you can find all his stuff on youtube. He has some good things on strumming patterns.

Last suggestion, it wouldn't hurt to get a teacher or at least a friend who knows a thing or two because you may be holding your fretting hand incorrectly A little bit of technique can really make a big difference. Your guitar could be set up with high action making things more difficult for you too.

Good luck with it, and keep at it. It really took me about a year before I felt like I was doing OK at guitar. I saw an article on this site I think that said, commit to 10,000 hours of practice for guitar mastery. That way, after a couple of months you can say I am only at hour 50 of 10,000
if you want to jump into playing a song, why not learn a 2 or 3 chord song as your first? that way you don't have to wander through lots of chords without having a result you can play.

there's always wild thing - played A, D, E.

Quote by aquietbelief
Yep, I bought an acoustic guitar around a month ago and i'm having trouble getting to grips with chords and strumming techniques, i'd really love to just begin learning songs but its impossible without being familiar with any chords. Most of the lessons i've found are somewhat confusing and ambiguous.

Any help would be appreciated.
Here's a good site where you can look up any chord you want.

http://www.all-guitar-chords.com/

All you do is select the chord you want: C for example
select what type of chord: Major
and then "Get"

The diagram shows what frets to play on what string.

I suggest learning major and minor chords first, specifically:

A major/minor, C major, D major, E major/minor, G major

F and B chords are a bit harder but you should definitely try to learn them eventually.

Just keep practicing strumming those those chords. The more you practice the easier it gets.