In tabs, when numbers are overlapped, how am I suppose to play them? Are they resembling a chord? If so, how would you play a bunch of overlapped numbers with 0 in the mixture?

An example from "Stairway to Heaven":
E--------
B---0---
G---0---
D--------
A---2---
E--------

I really don't understand these kind of stuff. Am I suppose to pick those 3 strings?
Quote by Skitsofrenic
In tabs, when numbers are overlapped, how am I suppose to play them? Are they resembling a chord? If so, how would you play a bunch of overlapped numbers with 0 in the mixture?

An example from "Stairway to Heaven":
E--------
B---0---
G---0---
D--------
A---2---
E--------

I really don't understand these kind of stuff. Am I suppose to pick those 3 strings?

Well it depends on the situation really, I know that part of Stairway is all fingerpicked so you should play it that way but other options are hybrid picking (hitting the lowest note with your pick and using your fingers to get the others and muting the strings you don't want to sound and just strum.

Yes, they are supposed to be played as a chord.
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
Quote by Skitsofrenic
So if I play this as a chord, do I strum E B G D A?

I'm still very confused D:

You don't strum. You finger pick the B, G and A strings.
its a chord . and you hit all those notes together while fretting the numbered strings 0s are open you dont place your fingers on those strings ..
if thats what you wanna know
Quote by robhc
You don't strum. You finger pick the B, G and A strings.

Ah I see ^^

In which order do I finger-pick? E -> B -> G -> D -> A -> E or the other way around?
if they are inline it means you play them all at the same time, regardless of finger picking strumming etc. If they are ever so slightly stagered this indicates finger picking but I don't see this often. Check out some good guitar licks here it will help you learn tab alot quicker. I think theres a "learn tab" lesson there too.
Quote by evilbiskits
if they are inline it means you play them all at the same time, regardless of finger picking strumming etc. If they are ever so slightly stagered this indicates finger picking but I don't see this often. Check out some good guitar licks here it will help you learn tab alot quicker. I think theres a "learn tab" lesson there too.

If you look at the example provided from the song "stairway to heaven," the numbers are actually inline. So does this mean that they are suppose to be played all at the same time? If so, can you please explain how I'm suppose to play the example in a correct way?
Quote by Skitsofrenic
If you look at the example provided from the song "stairway to heaven," the numbers are actually inline. So does this mean that they are suppose to be played all at the same time? If so, can you please explain how I'm suppose to play the example in a correct way?

I'm pretty sure I've already said this but YES they are played as a chord, i.e. at the same time. In this case you pick the a string with your thumb and pick the two open strings with your first and second fingers.
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
Quote by Zaphod_Beeblebr
I'm pretty sure I've already said this but YES they are played as a chord, i.e. at the same time. In this case you pick the a string with your thumb and pick the two open strings with your first and second fingers.

Sweet. Thanks everyone for your help!

Now I'm going to go learn this song, and I'll be sure to come back here once I run into more troubles xD