almost got the funds to pay off my custom guitar so looking forward to a new amp afterwards to compliment it.

play mostly Hard Rock, bit of Punk, Metal, Heavy Metal. (Muse, AC/DC, Metallica, Guns N Roses, Airbourne, Megadeth, Radiohead, Steel Panther, Rage Against The Machine etc)

Peavey Valveking 112 or Marshall MG100 Half Stack. both are same price £449. admittedly its only for home use (so far) but could do with input either way.
Dom, look... I Caught a PWOPER fish
I wouldn't buy either one, but for what it's worth, the Valveking is superior.
Quote by Dave_Mc
I've had tube amps for a while now, but never actually had any go down on me
Quote by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com
Agree with the posts above. The Valveking is much better than the MG, but not a fantastic amp. As long as you're not fussed about going used, you may be able to pick up a Marshall JCM 800 for about £500 if you're lucky, but it might take a lot of waiting and searching.
THe Vk has tubes and will last you alot longer than you will ever be happy with the MG. PLus if you like messing around with things you can make that VK into a real beast. The other VK owners here on UG have some sweet mods you can do to get that VK to do about anything you want so don't sell it short. So I'd say VK a 112 combo will allow you to gig and is better for home use over the MG half.
Live Rig:
Peavey VK (power amp)
R&R Amps SL/LD (preamp)
EB Volume
Zoom G3
Morpheus Dive bomber
Dunlop 95Q
Guitar-any in my stable
5150 Cab (V30/Sheffield X-pat)
Quote by KingHenrik1967
almost got the funds to pay off my custom guitar so looking forward to a new amp afterwards to compliment it.

OK, thats cool. Maybe looking to get a nice amp. Cool.

Peavey Valveking 112 or Marshall MG100 Half Stack. both are same price £449. admittedly its only for home use (so far) but could do with input either way.

WHAT THE ****.

Srsly, How get? If you paid upwards of $3000 to pay for a CUSTOM guitar, why are you ruining it with a $400 amp? In all srsness, get the Valveking, but seriously, yyou are stupid.
NT

BE QUICK OR BE DEAD SON
Quote by amatas83
THe Vk has tubes and will last you alot longer than you will ever be happy with the MG. PLus if you like messing around with things you can make that VK into a real beast. The other VK owners here on UG have some sweet mods you can do to get that VK to do about anything you want so don't sell it short. So I'd say VK a 112 combo will allow you to gig and is better for home use over the MG half.

This is true with a few mods and the right cab the Valveking is a very capable amp. It may not bring the uber brootz, but not everyone plays uber brootz

For thrash, post hardcore, hard rock etc it is quite good, and infinitely better than a dreadful MG100

Quote by NosralTserrof
WHAT THE ****.

Srsly, How get? If you paid upwards of $3000 to pay for a CUSTOM guitar, why are you ruining it with a $400 amp? In all srsness, get the Valveking, but seriously, yyou are stupid.

Easy with the insults bud this isn't EG

Not everyone is as enlightened as you, but TS he is basically right. You are getting a (assumed) nice guitar so you want a decent amp also. Generally you get a guitar to compliment a nice amp, not the other way around.
Last edited by AxSilentxLine at Sep 9, 2010,
thanks for the input... oh and insulting dude, when u finally come down from your pedestal i hope you get hit with a bus.

and if i ever manage to get a JCM for £500... holy shit balls !! lol
Dom, look... I Caught a PWOPER fish
Have you looked on craigslist if you are in the States? What city? Used amps basically?

I had VK112 once and with a speaker swap and some different tubes it sounded pretty good with an OD pedal and a EQ pedal.

Also look at the Vypyr 60, B52AT60 and Jet City JCA50
^ I was about to add JCA

Down here a JCA100 goes for a fraction more than a Valveking and will absolutely slay it in terms of tone very worth a look into TS. The prices should be proportionate where you are I am guessing
The VK is a million times better than the MG.

It baffles me how people have custom guitars and don't understand that the amp will almost always have more effect on your tone.
"In modern music, a lot of people are really stuck on the example, asif it were the idea. It takes millions of examples to articulate an idea, so don't get stuck on the f*cking example." - Joshua Homme, 2008.
Quote by KingHenrik1967
thanks for the input... oh and insulting dude, when u finally come down from your pedestal i hope you get hit with a bus.

and if i ever manage to get a JCM for £500... holy shit balls !! lol

It happens...I've seen a JCM900 with a 1960a cab go for £275 for the lot
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
If you want a VK, you can find the 112's used for around $200, no joke. I've seen it. With the money you save, you can do a lot of awesome mods for it. JJ tubes definitely, possibly a speaker swap too. Then you will have a pretty good amp.

Nowhere near as good of an amp to compliment a custom guitar though. I really agree with NosralTserrof, but I'm not going to insult you or anything.

Have you looked into Peavey 6505+'s? They can be had used in your budget, if you're willing to search. Possibly a Peavey Vypyr 60 Tube too, if you really want a shitload of versatility and ability to switch to a completely different sound with one button.

The only thing that sucks about the Vypyr is that you need a Sanpera II if you plan on using it in any kind of live situation, or if you like switching sounds with your feet while playing.
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
Quote by FuzzLove
It baffles me how people have custom guitars and don't understand that the amp will almost always have more effect on your tone.

Same. I saw a guy with an Anderson Bulldog playing through a Spider III. I was pissed.
Quote by KingHenrik1967

OK bud, I overreacted a bit. But srs cheese, the greatness(I assume) of your custom guitar will not be shown by such a cheap amp.
NT

BE QUICK OR BE DEAD SON
Out of the two, the Valveking. But that's still a very very mediocre amp. The MG is crap. Don'T buy crappy amps, they sound bad.

The Jet City line of amplifiers is getting rave reviews at the moment... I guess a JCA 20 or 50 with a boost in front might do the trick for you.

Look used for Marshall JCM800/900/2000 models (except for the 2000 DSL401 maybe), Laney GH/VH series models, eventually Engl Screamer or Thunder.

I got a Laney GH50L and a Framus 2x12" for a little over 500€ combined a couple of months back. Sounds a lot better than the Valveking or the MG. Laneys and Marshalls are easy to find for good prices in the UK, what with them being English products and all. Keep an eye on eBay/gumtree and you can find a serious piece of kit for the cash you have.

1977 Burny FLG70
2004 EBMM JP6
2016 SE Holcolmb
VK112 out of those two. When I had a VK112, I had it running through a halfstack with good speakers. Sounded pretty good, and there are a lot of mods out there for them. They go pretty cheap used, so look for used ones.
***Guitars***
Epiphone Les Paul Custom AP (w/ 2 Seymour Duncans)
Jackson Dx10D Dinky (w/ DiMarzio PAF Bridge)
Epihpone Hummingbird

***Amps***
Marshall JCM 2000 DSL 100 (Voodoo Modified)
Custom 4x12 Halfstack (w/ Veteran 30's)
Problem with eBay, even though they are all good amp choices up there, is that you won't know the true value until it gets closer to 5 minutes to bid close.

I am somewhat addicted to craigslist as it is but a friend of mine is so addicted to eBay that he will have like 90 different bids all saved and going and watching them all only to get disappointed when at the last second someone swoops in with a bid that is 25% higher than everyone else.

The link in my sig (jaxed.com) has old ebay listings as well as new so you can see what they sold for.
Last edited by 311ZOSOVHJH at Sep 9, 2010,
Go on ebay, find someone selling the 800 combo/rocker 30 combo/something.

Shoot him/her a message. You could talk him/her down like 15%-20% off buy it now if you ask to pay cash on collection or via bank transfer so he/she doesnt get bombarded with paypal/ebay fees.

Make sure the guy/girl has good feedback though if you go for the bank transfer option.

And dont tell eBay cause theyll get upset about it for cheating on them.
Last edited by beckyjc at Sep 9, 2010,