Hey UG
Just wondering, how long it took you from starting playing the guitar to learn to shred. By shred, I mean, play scales/notes real fast - inc. sweeping. And what techniques/practices did you use?
I just need to give myself a reasonable target, but don't want to push myself too much. I'm just a bit wary that I've been playing for almost 2 years and I don't want to be seen as a 'slow learner'. Lmao.

Any advice is helpful
Thanks
Tom
Gear:
Epiphone SG-400 (w/Hot Slags)/Chapman Guitars ML1 > Digitech Bad Monkey > Blackstar HT-5 > Danelectro Fish and Chips EQ > ETI Chorus Flanger
Snark Headstock tuner!
You're not going to want to hear this but by giving yourself targets like this you're setting yourself up for failure. Stop thinking about "shredding" and just think about playing well. Practice your alternate picking making sure you're always relaxed, watch for your economy of motion in both hands and above all make sure you're always accurate.
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
Thanks man
'Shredding' was just the term for what I one day want to achieve. I just want to be able to play solo's etc. and I just want to know if I'm behind or ahead of where I should be.
Gear:
Epiphone SG-400 (w/Hot Slags)/Chapman Guitars ML1 > Digitech Bad Monkey > Blackstar HT-5 > Danelectro Fish and Chips EQ > ETI Chorus Flanger
Snark Headstock tuner!
Quote by richyt93
Thanks man
'Shredding' was just the term for what I one day want to achieve. I just want to be able to play solo's etc. and I just want to know if I'm behind or ahead of where I should be.

You should be playing - no one can tell you how quickly you should be learning anything so as long as you're enjoying whatever you're doing no one actually cares.
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
It can take a long time. It's much better to, as said above, play slowly. That way, you can pay attention to tone and playing without tension, etc. If you disregard these things, you'll likely have to re-learn them at some later point, and it'll be even more difficult since then you'll have to forget the bad techniques.

Personally, I wanted to learn to shred a few years ago, but it got boring pretty fast. And I don't find fast playing impressive at all, anymore. So I'm kinda glad I didn't spend more time than I did on learning super fast playing.

And don't just learn song after song, or exercise after exercise, spend time going back and perfecting the songs you already know.
You have to learn to be accurate and precise. The goal is not speed, but perfection; speed will naturally follow.
"If you're looking for me,
you better check under the sea,
because that's where you'll find me..."