So I tune my LP with the standard 24.75" neck down to C standard, and my guitar sounds like it lacks a bit of 'oomph'. I moved up from the EB Not Even Slinky Set (12-56 IIRC) which were just unacceptable in terms of tone and string tension. So I moved up to D'addario EXL148 (12-60). These are much better, but they're still not quite 'there'. One of my issues is the G string (D#, in C?) which is a measly 20. (the EBs had a bigger one)

I'm thinking of moving up again to DR DDTs, the 13-65 set, or possibly a similar set. My only concern is that maybe these are too big for my guitar. If I set it up and intonate it, would they work for the C#/C standard and drop B tunings I use my LP for?

Here's kinda what I'm looking at:

http://accessories.musiciansfriend.com/product/DR-Strings-Drop-Down-Tuning-Mega-Heavy-Guitar-Strings?sku=585437
http://accessories.musiciansfriend.com/product/Cleartone-Drop-Tune-Electric-Guitar-Strings-Drop-C?sku=107008
http://accessories.musiciansfriend.com/product/Everly-9113-X-Rockers-Lo-Tune-Drop-C-Electric-Guitar-Strings?sku=106054

I'm not exactly set on the exact gauge or brand, so other suggestions are welcome too.

Thoughts?

PS: I just noticed the Cleartones are expensive as SHIT.
Check a couple of other things, cause 12-56 gauge strings should be plenty thick for a drop C tuning.

You will want to make sure your pickups are close enough to the strings, about 4-5mm when fretting the last fret on the 6th and 1st string.

I'll never tried a drop C tuning on a guitar with that short of a scale, but I've heard it doesn't work to go that low, that's why they make ERG's with longer scales than 25.5".

Also, what amp or distortion combo are you using? This can make a huge difference in the oomph you're looking for.
Imagination is more important than knowledge...
It is a miracle that curiosity survives formal education.
- Albert Einstein -
Last edited by Bertallica at Sep 9, 2010,
Quote by Bertallica
Check a couple of other things, cause 12-56 gauge strings should be plenty thick for a drop C tuning.

You will want to make sure your pickups are close enough to the strings, about 4-5mm when fretting the last fret on the 6th and 1st string.

I'll never tried a drop C tuning on a guitar with that short of a scale, but I've heard it doesn't work to go that low, that's why they make ERG's with longer scales than 25.5".

Also, what amp or distortion combo are you using? This can make a huge difference in the oomph you're looking for.

He's talking about C standard, not drop C. It's also more than possible to get C standard to work on shorter scale instruments, just ask In Flames.

Anyway, TS I think you should just keep experimenting as string gauge is all about personal preference, I have absolutely no trouble with a set of 11s in C standard.
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
Try using a set with a wound third string. It's awkward at first, but I really like the feel, and it helps with my intonation.

http://accessories.musiciansfriend.com/product/Fender-150JL-Original-Pure-Nickel-Electric-Guitar-Strings-Heavy?sku=423232

I know they're labelled Jazz Light, but I use them for melodic death metal and metalcore.

Quote by Pat_s1t
I remember Das_Skittles made me rage hard.

Quote by WCPhils
I can't stand Das_Skittles everything he says makes me mad.

Quote by due 07
Skittles is the shit you cuntles. Slob on his knob.

My Band Youtube Channel Last.fm
Quote by Bertallica
They can? Oh yeah, if you want a shit tone. No. Besides, TS said C standard, not Drop C. BIG difference.

Get the DR DDTs, TS. Make sure to adjust your truss rod, btw. Cuz yes, the oomph factor can also be amp, pickups, etc. But a lot of it is just that, when you tune that low, you need thicker strings. Thicker strings is key to a good tone when using C or B tunings, imho.

Edit: Also, I 2nd checking into a wound 3rd. At least try it out, ya know.
Last edited by crazysam23_Atax at Sep 9, 2010,
I play DR 13's on my LP and it gives a lot of oomph. I also Have sd blackout pickups which help a lot.
"For we are nothing without brotherhood and brotherhood is nothing without our brothers" -We Came As Romans
i use Beefy Skinkys (11-54) just fine for C standard.
though my scale length's 25.5".

12-56 should be enough for your scale.
check your action (make sure it's not choking the strings) and pickup height.
if they're all fine, then i can only guess that this lack of oomph is from the lack of amp.
Quote by crazysam23_Atax
They can? Oh yeah, if you want a shit tone. No. Besides, TS said C standard, not Drop C. BIG difference.

C standard to Drop C is not a big difference. Still, TS needs to look as his other gear as to why he's not getting the tone he wants.
- Albert Einstein -
Quote by Bertallica
C standard to Drop C is not a big difference. Still, TS needs to look as his other gear as to why he's not getting the tone he wants.

that's actually quite a noticeable difference.
Drop C is D standard with the bottom string down a whole step.
we're after C standard here.
I'll definitely check the pickup spacing and the intonation. The plain 3rd string is really bothering me, not because its not wound, but because its the only string that I have issues keeping in tune. I'm convinced its not big enough.

I run a Laney AOR 30, and even with the gain maxed, it can't do particularly metal tones without a boost. My LTD in E with a 25.5" scale neck does great though... That's why I'm sure its the string tension. But it might just be that shorter necks have less tension in general.
Quote by Quinlan
I'll definitely check the pickup spacing and the intonation. The plain 3rd string is really bothering me, not because its not wound, but because its the only string that I have issues keeping in tune. I'm convinced its not big enough.

I run a Laney AOR 30, and even with the gain maxed, it can't do particularly metal tones without a boost. My LTD in E with a 25.5" scale neck does great though... That's why I'm sure its the string tension. But it might just be that shorter necks have less tension in general.

G strings are notorious for not intonating properly, a guitar can never be perfectly in tuning.

Pickup height might be an issue or they may not be hot enough for what you're after.
- Albert Einstein -
Quote by Damaging_Excess

No, the LaBella's are. And ive used em.

http://www.bigcitystring.com/dadeb.htm

but i sy go with a 13w set TS, not too heavy and not too loose.
People in the pit take my post way too seriously.

MyAnimeList
7-String Legion

If you have a question PM me and I will always get back to you.
Quote by Deadlock Riff
No, the LaBella's are. And ive used em.

http://www.bigcitystring.com/dadeb.htm

but i sy go with a 13w set TS, not too heavy and not too loose.

Lol I don't even thing that would fit through normal tuners
My Gear:
Shecter Omen 6 with Seymour Duncans
Jackson JS30RR Rhoads
Fender Frontman 25R (Want to upgrade badly)
Digitech Hardwire TL-2 Metal Distortion