Sorry if this is in the wrong place but I'l ask it anyway.

So I have lately thought about doing a course in Music Technology at university. I am in my final year of school and I will be looking at University courses and I am really interested in this one.
Although there's one problem, I have no music qualifications. Now that doesn't mean I can't get into the course, the requirements state that it would be preferable that the student has a GCSE in Music or a grade 6 in theory. The people who do not have any music qualifications will have to go for an interview were they will get interviewed on their musical background.

So I am basically asking someone who has experience in music technology to tell me if I could get in and whether or not theory is important. I am however going to start learning theory and doing theory tests throughout this year to try and get as high a grade I can in a year, so I will know a bit of theory going into the course.

Thanks in advance
If you're taking any course that has to do with music you should know theory, it'll make everything you do a hell of a lot easier.

It'll also improve your skills as a musician, in both the creative and technical sense.
Most of the universities don't even seem to care when it comes to people meeting the music requirements. I applied to universities that were asking for grade 8 in the first instrument, grade 5 in the second, and grade 8 theory, but in the end they were just letting complete idiots in who didn't know what the **** they were doing.

I didn't apply to one university because of this- I have grade 8 in one instrument and grade 7 in the second, but only grade 5 theory. I was pissed off when I found they were letting people in with hardly anything.
VENUSIAN
FB SC BC TW
Patterns In The Ivy present ethnicity on an intriguing and dedicated level. ~Ambient Exotica
A mesmeric melange of yearning voice, delicate piano and carefully chosen samples. ~Lost Voices
I'm doing a music tech degree and musical ability wasn't taken into consideration at all. That said, i know certain uni's have a theory requirements. I dont have any formal music qualification and as yet it's not come back to bite me on the arse. Obviously every bit musical knowledge is a help once you're there.
ABBA
TBH If you know your music enough it won't take you that long to do grade 5/6 theory. You could probably get away without it but its easier if you know it
Quote by zero_wing
I'm doing a music tech degree and musical ability wasn't taken into consideration at all. That said, i know certain uni's have a theory requirements. I dont have any formal music qualification and as yet it's not come back to bite me on the arse. Obviously every bit musical knowledge is a help once you're there.

Thanks for getting back to me and that's really good to hear

Would you say it's a worthwhile degree doing? Is it interesting?