Hi guys,

I actually have a few problems and wasn't sure if I should split them into seperate threads or not but here it goes.

I just bought a EHX Soul Preacher (SP) and was super excited because I've been looking for a good deal on a quality compressor for a long time (got it for $100CDN). When I bought it the guy said it was brand new, and it definitely looks pretty new. But I've run into two problems, one is more with the pedal itself, and one is more with my setup.

One is that it is NOISY as hell. The higher I turn the volume the louder the scratchiness/noise gets. To me this indicates a noisy volume pot, which means it is not new at all. Do I have any alternatives to taking into a shop to get the volume pot changed or do you guys have any ideas?

The other problem that has to do with my setup is that when I turn the pedal on I get a huge pop everytime. If I had this problem with a compressor I would normally just leave it on all the time and avoid the pops all together, but with the extra noise it's really unbearable. The setup that I'm using right now is:
guitar > soul preacher > blues driver > volume > tuner (in volume pedal's bypass loop > amp.
Previously my setup was :
guitar > tuner > soul preacher > blues driver > volume > amp
but my friend suggested I try the other setup and see if the noise/pop went away (it didn't) I've also just tried the pedal on its own and the problems persist. I am powering it with a boss adapter to my tuner and then daisy chaining it to the other pedals. I figured the popping was a problem with the power source but when I power the SP on its own I run into the same problem.
Ideas?

Also I've been having some serious problems with my volume pedal that are really annoying me. I just got a new one a couple of months ago after having one that lasted me a very long time, and it was great when I got it (Ernie Ball VPR JR.). Now however, the sweep is soooo small that it is useless for volume swells and pretty much everything else. Basically teh volume stays at 0% until you've reached 90% of the pedal's sweep, and then goes from 0-100 in the last 10% of the pedal's sweep. What happened? Do I just have to take it in to get fixed? It upsets me because it is a beastly pedal and I've treated it very well, there should be no problems with it.

Thanks in advance.
███████████████████████████████████
Last edited by tona_107 at Sep 9, 2010,
It's just quite a noisy pedal, all compressors (that I've played) get noisy when you turn the gain up. As for the popping, a lot of true bypass pedals pop when turned on.
First off, all compressors are really noisy. It's jut the nature.

Second, try your compressor in the FX loop. That's where I run mine, and it works fine.

You should be able to find a Boss NS-2 for around $50. They're pretty much invaluable pedals to have anyway.

Sorry, I don't know much about volume pedals.
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
Quote by monkey_dancer
It's just quite a noisy pedal, all compressors (that I've played) get noisy when you turn the gain up. As for the popping, a lot of true bypass pedals pop when turned on.

Quote by Offworld92
First off, all compressors are really noisy. It's jut the nature.

Second, try your compressor in the FX loop. That's where I run mine, and it works fine.

You should be able to find a Boss NS-2 for around $50. They're pretty much invaluable pedals to have anyway.

Sorry, I don't know much about volume pedals.

Thanks a lot to the both of you for your responses.

I was thinking of getting an ISP Decimator if I couldn't get rid of the noise, do you think it is worth the extra $100 over an NS-2?

Anyone have any ideas on the volume pedal?
I had a soul preacher once... I returned it the very next day. It was by far the noisiest pedal I have ever used. As soon as I clicked it on, it was like having your TV on the wrong channel. Static generator. You could try it in the loop, but honestly I found that pedal to be far too noisy to use.

EDIT: I was using an NS-2 with the soul preacher, and the preacher made so much noise that even with the threshold and gate basically maxed out, it would still never go active to silence the signal.
Quote by tubetime86
He's obviously pretty young, and I'd guess he's being raised by wolves, or at least humans with the intellectual capacity and compassion of wolves.

You finally made it home, draped in the flag that you fell for.
And so it goes
Last edited by jpatan at Sep 9, 2010,
Quote by tona_107

I was thinking of getting an ISP Decimator if I couldn't get rid of the noise, do you think it is worth the extra $100 over an NS-2?

No, it's not worth it. If you're a professional musician studio and live, then yeah, but for the rest of us? No. The only Decimator worth getting IMO is the G String, and that's just ridiculously expensive. For $50, you can get a Boss that you can run in your FX loop, which no other pedal can do for anywhere near that price.

And you need a noise pedal wit 2 inputs and outputs if you run any pedals in your loop, other wise the purpose is kind of defeated, so a regular Decimator won't do much for you in terms of noise reduction.
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X