I am looking at getting a guitar. I have no experience with guitar but I decided I wanted to start learning and I want a good guitar. I am looking for something to play rock and metal and so far I have been looking at 2 guitars but I am open to any suggestions.

so far I am looking at the

Kerry King Signature V

and the

ESP KH-2 Kirk Hammett Signature Series

there is a big price difference between the two and I wanted to keep it closer to $1000 but the KH2 is about $2500

I am open to any guitar that has a good sound for metal or rock. I am a beginner but I have a good disposable income so I want to get something high quality
I would not look at signature guitars.
You pay for the name of the artist. You can get better bang for your buck with non-signature guitars.
And also, If your a beginner do you really want to spend $2500 on a guitar!?
I would start with something cheaper if I were you.
Gear:

-Gibson Les Paul 2008 standard
-MIA Fender sunburst
-Orange Rockerverb C
-Peavey Valveking 212
-Roland 30x
-Line 6 pod x3
Last edited by michiel777 at Sep 9, 2010,
if you want to keep it below $1000 you can get my guitar.. ESP LTD MH-1000 FR

or if you have more budget you can get ESP horizon..

what I actually suggest for high budget is Jackson Soloist SL1

I agree with the guy above me dont buy a signature guitar..

another thing is that if you are beginner you wouldnt want a guitar with floyd rose system since tuning/changing strings/innotation will be really hard..

Kirk hammett sig has floyd rose
Kerry King sig has a kahler but they are similar

you would want a fixed bridge guitar

Gear
Schecter Jeff Loomis NT (7 string bad-ass)
Esp Ltd Deluxe MH-1000 FR
ENGL Screamer 50
Quote by Rangor6363
If you wanna learn how to play something, first you gotta listen it!

Last.fm
Last edited by Rangor6363 at Sep 9, 2010,
Get something used with a fixed bridge. You don't have to buy new. There are a lot of great used guitars out there. This way, when you really get into guitar and start to GAS like the rest of us you can get that really great guitar.

+1 to the guy who suggested the Jackson Soloist. What an awesome guitar. But still has a floyd rose and those are a serious pain in the butt to deal with.

Good Luck
Go with a Schecter. Even the lower line products are great, and the guitars like the Hellraisers or Blackjacks are absolutely fantastic.

all of them can come without a Floyd rose so that's not an issue either.
thanks for all the replies

I am still doing research and will check out the schecters and used guitars tomorrow when I go look at guitars.

I am also looking into the ESP standard EX in white.
So ****ing spoiled!!!

When I first playing, I thought line 6 amps were the best because I couldn't tell the difference between that and a Marshall. After a year, you'll begin to hear how every detail from your pick to your amp affects the tone (at least for me anyway) and you can get a high end guitar then. Just get a guitar with humbuckers and you'll be fine for a while.
HILT!

Where's Waldo?

A Fender American Standard Strat would make learning a breeze, their necks are just amazing.
Ibanez prestige line?
I'm up for building you a pedal.
(Or modding nearly anything moddable)
(PM Me.)
Quote by OliOsbourne
So ****ing spoiled!!!

When I first playing, I thought line 6 amps were the best because I couldn't tell the difference between that and a Marshall. After a year, you'll begin to hear how every detail from your pick to your amp affects the tone (at least for me anyway) and you can get a high end guitar then. Just get a guitar with humbuckers and you'll be fine for a while.

[rant]What a Prick!

He's already said he has a good disposable income, which means he works for his own cash, and is therefore entitled to spend it however he sees fit.

If he buys an expensive guitar and continues to play for years he's done the right thing, and saved himself cash in the long run. If he gives up in a couple of weeks, then it's his waste. Not yours, and not your problem.

When you're old enough to earn your own money you'll understand that you can have nice things without people calling you names. (No matter how jealous).[/rant]

The ESP LTD range is definately worth a look, the higher end are of excellent quality and are reasonably priced... In my opinion.
Strats are NOT for metal..
Ibanez prestige line is good but they all have have edge tremolo system.. (as far as I know)
You don't have to buy used, personally I will never buy a used.. you cant know what the previous smoked with it..

In my opinion, don't start with a Z shaped EX guitars start with a regular body guitar..

I have never played with a schecter so I don't have any idea on that..

As I said earlier buy ESP LTD Deluxe MH-1000.. it is one of the best products you can find under $1000

Gear
ENGL Screamer 50
Quote by Rangor6363

Last.fm
1. Learning to play on Electric is fine - I assume you knew that
2. Did you consider buying an AMP with that?
3. Versatility is key - many famous rock bands have different sounds to their music

Ask about something like a Cort Zenox Z64 - I know it's a bit under budget, but it has Seymour Duncan pick-ups, suited to the music you say you want to play. and the previous related Cort models get between 8.8 and 9.2 on this site's reviews section
Quote by malmsteensolo
Dude or dudette check this out a kerry king sig v w kahler And bc rich pickups. Of course u can always swap em out for Duncans or EMGs.

http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/B.C.-Rich-Kerry-King-V-Electric-Guitar-with-Kahler-Tremolo?sku=512681

Of course this is only for Canada.

DUDE, did you read a one thing that is written before you??? Are you insane?? READ!

Gear
ENGL Screamer 50
Quote by Rangor6363

Last.fm
If i were you i wouldn't spend 1000 or 2500 on your guitar because you won't be able to explore it correctly since you're a begginer. I suggest buying a really cheap guitar and amp, play it until you play considerably well and then buy a high-end guitar.
Love the Guitar
Gear:
- Ibanez SZR520
- Peavey Vypyr 30w
- Alhambra 2C Classical Guitar
- Tortex .88mm/Jazz III 1.38mm
- Elixir Nanoweb Strings (.009)
Whoever said strats are NOT for metal is a lil misinformed lol. The way strats are routed allows for any pickup combination just about, they're just so easy to play, the American strats anyway. If I was going for just a metal guitar, I would prolly get a Jim root strat with emg 81's. I played a Jackson dinky for many years but there's just something about that strat neck. And I'm referring to USA strats here, as mexi strat necks just aren't quite as good.
If price is not an issue then I would certainly get a USA made guitar. If you can afford more but you get a cheap guitar/amp then it'll make practice a lil tougher and it can be very discouraging for someone just starting out. Also since USA guitars tend to hold their value, if you decide guitar is not for you, you won't lose much selling it. Some people have more disposable income, so if you can afford it I say go for it.
getting an expensive guitar as a beginner is the worst idea ever.
if you purchase that kirk sig for 2.5k..
and maybe a year or two down the road you planned to get another guitar (just an example), you'll probably want something BETTER, and you'd probably purchase something more expensive than the KH sig..

start with a squier kit like everyone else..
god be with you if you purchased it and you quit guitar a few months after..
Gear

Ibanez RG350DX Electric Guitar With DiMarzio Tone Zone
Academy Electric Guitar
BeaverCreek Acoustic Guitar

Roland Micro Cube Amp
Academy 15W Amp
Peavey Vypyr 30
Peavey Sanpera Footswitch I
CARVIN MAN! I've loved carvin since I was born! Great quality and prices
(PM Me.)
Quote by OliOsbourne
So ****ing spoiled!!!

If I am spoiled its because I spoil myself

I am single with a high paying IT job and very low expenses and when I buy something I do tend to spend more on a better equipment. if I give up and dont continue playing then I am fine with losing some money but if I do end up getting good and staying with it I will be set for a while and down the line then maybe I will spend some big money on a new guitar or just keep this one for a while.

I ended up going for a ESP standard EX in white. it ended up costing me $999 and another $109 for the case. I wont have it until next Friday since they have to ship it from their warehouse. I will probably go out tonight or tomorrow to look for an amp and some headphones so I dont upset my roomate while learning to play.
Not really a guitar i would recommend, as you might find the wierd body shape awkward and uncomfortable. But hey, its your money. I hope you like it
Nothing wrong with buying a high end guitar to start learning, in fact I think it's better as you don't end up fighting the guitar because of poor workmanship or dull sounding wood like the budget guitars. Of course there's some exceptions so no need to flame me.

I ended up with two (really three) quality guitars because I'm never satisfied with budget guitars.

Just be sure what you got is impeccable.
Parker PDF30
Vox VT40+
How's the amp budget?
(PM Me.)
I havent started looking at amps but I am thinking around $400-500 for amp and head phones but I am flexible if I can get a good amp for a bit more or if there is a cheaper amp I am good with that also. What would you recommend as far as amp and also head phones so I dont disturb my roomate. I havent done any amp research yet, I figure I will go to the guitar store tomorrow and talk to a sales person and also read a bit on these forums to help decide.

I grew up going to Metallica concerts so I guess the color and shape appealed to me since Metallica Justice was one of my first concerts.
Last edited by Cyric72 at Sep 11, 2010,
One of these
http://www.carvinguitars.com/products/single.php?product=SX300

or http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/Vox-Valvetronix-VT100-100W-2x12-Guitar-Combo-Amp?sku=424009&src=3WFRWXX&ZYXSEM=0&CAWELAID=331411072

The gain on the "high gain" channel is kind of noisy but with a good distortion pedal to boost the blus setting gain you'd get good sounds!
(PM Me.)
Last edited by evhbrianmay at Sep 11, 2010,
Quote by Cyric72
If I am spoiled its because I spoil myself

I am single with a high paying IT job and very low expenses and when I buy something I do tend to spend more on a better equipment. if I give up and dont continue playing then I am fine with losing some money but if I do end up getting good and staying with it I will be set for a while and down the line then maybe I will spend some big money on a new guitar or just keep this one for a while.

I ended up going for a ESP standard EX in white. it ended up costing me $999 and another $109 for the case. I wont have it until next Friday since they have to ship it from their warehouse. I will probably go out tonight or tomorrow to look for an amp and some headphones so I dont upset my roomate while learning to play.

Good for you, I find it's much more satisfying to learn on a guitar that you love, than to learn on a crappy guitar that you hate, but only bought because people convinced you to buy it because that's what they started with.

What i've found is people tend to like you to follow in their footsteps because it gives them confirmation they did the right thing. Also Some people just don't like to see other people better off.

If you ask me you did the right thing, it's your money... You'll be much happier this way.
a higher end guitar is one of the best ways to start playing and developing good habits. Id start with a versatile guitar like a stratocaster or a Les Paul and go from there. If you get one thats meant for a specific type of music like an ESP Standard primarily meant for metal or a charvel (Shred/Metal machine) youll end up wasting your money when you find out you like to play blues as your main type of music. A strat or les paul is capabe of pulling off almost anything you throw at it. its just a matter of deciding between the bodystyles, the tone, and a standard synching trem or a fixed bridge pretty much. (remember though when getting a trem bar system, the fixed has a ton of less problems). If you like metal or hard rock already, id suggest a strat with a HSS construction. the stock humbicking pickup is pretty damn good for from the factory. I didnt have to change it, but I did being the distortion/treble singing mids feind that I am, playing primarily vai/gilbert/satch and metal songs which almost al call for higher output pickups and a trem bar (especially vais songs). it is up to you, but i wouldnt get too into one guitar and find out later that id doesnt fit your type of music and needs at all. try looking on guitar center or ebay, or even your local guitar shops that sell discounted guitars and amps. this tech at a local shop told me about a charvel being sold that he was looking at but was willing to give up if I was gonna get it. cool guy.
LTD Deluxe H1001Fr STBC
Modded Fender Stratocaster HSS mexican
Epiphone Les Paul Ultra II
Takamine G340SC Acoustic
Line 6 Spider III 75w
Carvin Legacy 2
Dunlop 535Q crybaby wah
Whirlwind A/B Selector