They're very light and therefore easier to play fast with.

Personally, I think they suck. I don't like the way they feel and they lose tone quickly. Each to his own though!
Quote by SilverSpurs616

Personally, I think they suck. I don't like the way they feel and they lose tone quickly.

same.
i used to be a mod, then i took an arrow in the knee.
Pshhhh, all my friends use them, they're waaayy too thin. Not Even Slinky's in standard ftw.
We've dressed up in our best...

...and are prepared to go down like gentlemen.

Quote by bogg808
The PBT is for those too TGP for the rest of UG.

Because it can go down a flight of stairs without messing up?

The metal ones are better than the plastic ones.
Nothing. Every person will prefer a different kind of strings. Really, no one is better than another, but false hype about this being true is spawned when a group of people happen to like the same the same kind.
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
Quote by Morik
Because it can go down a flight of stairs without messing up?

The metal ones are better than the plastic ones.

That's actually what i thought this thread was about til i opened it xD
Quote by metaldood91
Hi. Can someone tell me which guitars are real 24 fret guitars and which are just 22 fret guitars with 2 extra frets added on?

http://www.youtube.com/user/Joeseffel

Quote by smcstoronto1234

So very true...
I like them but they snap really easily.
JUST ANOTHER ANNOYING BIG STATUS
Last edited by ibrahimasood at Sep 9, 2010,
Quote by WarriorArtist94
That's actually what i thought this thread was about til i opened it xD

Me too and now I'm disappointed and feel very lost inside
My Guitars:
Epiphone Flying V
Westfield SG
Laney Lc15110 230 G Tube Combo 15W
Presonus Audiobox USB

check out http://soundcloud.com/
eddiechance
all opinion, honestly. I've been using slinky's since i started playing guitar. they've never failed me. I know some people like to say that they're terrible and that they break too easily, but with me, I've only broken 2 strings ever since I started playing guitars with these strings. some one in my family bought me a bulk 10-pack of D'addarios for my birthday in june, and the entire 10 pack lasted about 5 weeks. it wasn't just the high E that broke, it was all the strings (not all at once, obviously). each time between packs, i'd check for burs and sharp points everywhere, but there were none at all.

I made my switch back to Ernie Ball slinky's, and now I have no issues. I'm completely loyal to Ernie Ball.

To each his own though. many people prefer different brands of strings, but honestly, If you're playing something that YOU like the feel and sound of, don't have other people tell you that you're wrong for liking stuff. all my guitarist friends always bitch to me for having Ernie Balls, but I don't care what they say cause they're always changing strings every few weeks cause of a broken string instead of me with strings for a few months before i change them just cause I want to clean up my guitar and set it up a lil.

/ rant.
Quote by pedromiles101
you're not gonna want to take a dump in a gross, off-colored, vintage toilet. you want something that is white and pearly; something that shines. something that you can put your cheeks against and say, "f*** yeah"
I play on super slinkys. I liked the bright package and was told Ernie Ball makes great strings. First set i picked up and iv been using them on all my guitars(except my acoustics and strat) ever since. Iv only broken one string in the few years iv been playing. They just work well and sound good. No reason to change to anything else. I didn't like them on my Les Paul at first, but I got used to it and it feels comfortable now.
Last edited by teamhex at Sep 9, 2010,
never broken a super slinky in probably 4 years since i made the switch from crappy fender superbullets. i find they hold tune very well and dont need much time to stretch before theyre solid when you change them
Gear:
Fender MIM Strat SD Hot Rails in bridge
SX Thinline Tele
GFS Tuner Pedal
GGG Clean Boost
Barber Dirty Bomb
Boss GE-7
Ibanez SC-10 Chorus
Peavey Classic 30
Quote by mcraddict81592
Pshhhh, all my friends use them, they're waaayy too thin. Not Even Slinky's in standard ftw.

Isn't that dangerous and hard/impossible to do bends?
i use super slinkys for my shred guitars like ibanez and kramer, i have tried rotosounds and prefer Ernie Balls. I use the regular slinkys for my les paul and like these also. I shall be stiking with Ernie. For me they are the best strings
Nahh, SRV used .13's in half step, you just have to make sure when you get your guitar set up by a tech they set it up for the extra tension. And yeah, bends were hard at first, but now everything just sounds better because there's so much more tone. Literally every other guitar player I know uses .09's or .08's, and I'm scared to play their guitars.
We've dressed up in our best...

...and are prepared to go down like gentlemen.

Quote by bogg808
The PBT is for those too TGP for the rest of UG.

I think the slinkys are better than daddario personally, the daddarios sound better for longer, slinkys sound dull and dead after a week, but daddario have some serious quality control issues with the ball ends constantly popping off.

I switched to GHS boomers and have never looked back. THeyre majorly bright sounding strings, and as a result, even after wearing them in they never sound dull.
I used Ernie Balls for a few months, but they rusted really quickly (Few weeks; bear in mind I use string cleaning after each play), IMO they were horrible to play.
Quote by Kensai
You'll find whisky very different, but try it and you'll grow into it, soon you and whisky are one, but still two, lovers dancing across a frozen lake under moonlight, wrapped in honey and warmth.

Sums up whisky perfectly
i have been buying slinkys for about 3 years but broke convention recently and bought myself sum dunlop wylde strings because I AM a fanboy, and i think they are so much more awesome
Fender Hot Rod Deville 2x12
Fender Greta + 1x12 Homemade cabinet - For sale PM for details.
Gibson Les Paul Studio 2013 - Goldtop
Washburn Idol WMISTD
Ibanez RG LTD450CB1
Tanglewood TSE505
Zoom G2.1Nu
Dunlop CryBaby Wah
Can't tune down to drop A with a .42 on the low E, so no Super Slinkys for me. I don't have much of a preference as to brand, I just use whatever gauge is big enough for low tunings on my unfortunately-way-too-short scale length guitar.
Quote by Archer18
I used Ernie Balls for a few months, but they rusted really quickly (Few weeks; bear in mind I use string cleaning after each play), IMO they were horrible to play.

I get a similar problem but it's because my room temperature is never even or optimum for the strings, I'm also unfortunate enough to have the boiler cupboard in my room so that seriously doesn't help but they don't rust in a few weeks it takes bout 6 weeks until they are unplayable and it happens with all brands of electric guitar strings i've used.

Edit: Oh just realised I use regular slinkys but the fact remains the same
My Guitars:
Epiphone Flying V
Westfield SG
Laney Lc15110 230 G Tube Combo 15W
Presonus Audiobox USB

check out http://soundcloud.com/
eddiechance
I played Super Slinky's for a short while. And then I found DR's. Found out that those like to snap on what seems to be a daily basis. I talked to a tech at Guitar Center and he recommended a lighter gauge string. Never had any problems since. I've had no problems with losing tuning or tone with DR strings. But I also use Martin's on my acoustic. Go ahead, call me crazy.
Play around with different brands,styles, gauges, etc. Find something you like and fits your playing style.
I much prefer Power Slinkys myself.
Guitars:
Agile PS900 Blue Flame: SD Blackouts, TonePros TOM, Grover Locking Mini-Rotomatic Tuners.
Amps:
Peavey 5150 Head w/Bias Mod.
Peavey Bandit 112
Quote by nightwindelf88
Play around with different brands,styles, gauges, etc. Find something you like and fits your playing style.
I'm not going to keep buying and stringing my guitar if I don't have to...
What I mean is try something different, when it comes time to restring, try something else if you weren't completely satisfied.
what tuning are you gonna be using? and do you prefer loose strings or tighter strings?
Whaaaat!!!!!!
I like super slinkys, but they lose their tone waaay too quickly. If i were a multi-millionaire, and could afford to change strings every couple of weeks then i'd use ernie balls, but as im broke most of the time i stick to elixirs. They stay nice for months.

Quote by Ironic Maiden
Okay then, I have another question, how do I pick which strings are right for me?

Firstly, what strings do you have at the moment? When you change strings, pick a contrasting type, e.g go from 9s to 11s, coated for example. Then compare string life, tone tension etc. If you find the 9s too loose but the 11s too tight, try 10s etc. Keep experimenting untill you find the right ones. I'd suggest maybe find the correct gauge first, get the guitar set up properly for the gauge and then experiment with coated strings, brands etc.
9s or 10s are great for lead guitar, hybrids are good for both lead and rhythm and larger strings (12s and 13s) work well for down tuning.

EDIT: Just seen in your sig that you play a lot of metal. In that case i'd suggest heavier gauge strings, presuming you down tune alot.
Last edited by minnis at Sep 9, 2010,
Quote by cob666
what tuning are you gonna be using? and do you prefer loose strings or tighter strings?
Well usually I just use standard, however I wanna start playing some Dream Theater which gets into some drop tunings.

I like mostly tight but I want to be able to bend without using to much pressure.

to the guy above me, I am actually not sure what strings I have right now, they are just stock Schecter Omen 6 strings.
Last edited by Ironic Maiden at Sep 9, 2010,
Quote by Ironic Maiden
to the guy above me, I am actually not sure what strings I have right now, they are just stock Schecter Omen 6 strings.

They come strung with 10/13/17/26/36/46

If you like the loose high end then you could get 10-52s, they should be fine in standard and dropped tunings. These will be slightly tighter at the bottom than your current strings but will be the same on top. 11s or 12s will be tighter still. How are you finding the strings now - too loose, too tight etc?
Quote by minnis
They come strung with 10/13/17/26/36/46

If you like the loose high end then you could get 10-52s, they should be fine in standard and dropped tunings. These will be slightly tighter at the bottom than your current strings but will be the same on top. 11s or 12s will be tighter still. How are you finding the strings now - too loose, too tight etc?
A little too tight