Hi there!

Does anyone know if there are other ways of cleaning an ebonol fretboard,next to wiping it off with a cloth?

It shows some sweatmarks after some hours of playing but I think that after some months the stains will get harder and hard to wipe off.

Just thinking ahead,

Thanks!
Blackstar HT5 Combo
Jackson RR24
Epiphone Annihilation V red

Loving guitar playing since;June'09
ebony...?
umm, just a lightly damp cloth or some lemon oil for some conditioning if it needs it.
Quote by pedromiles101
you're not gonna want to take a dump in a gross, off-colored, vintage toilet. you want something that is white and pearly; something that shines. something that you can put your cheeks against and say, "f*** yeah"
ebony...?
umm, just a lightly damp cloth or some lemon oil for some conditioning if it needs it.
This.

And I thought I'd lost you! Why did you leave for so long!!? I was fighting crime all alone!!!

You can call me Aaron.

♠♣♥♦
Out on parole, any more instances of plum text and I get put back in...
Quote by biga29

This.

And I thought I'd lost you! Why did you leave for so long!!? I was fighting crime all alone!!!

it's because you're no longer plum
Quote by pedromiles101
you're not gonna want to take a dump in a gross, off-colored, vintage toilet. you want something that is white and pearly; something that shines. something that you can put your cheeks against and say, "f*** yeah"
Ebony doesn't even need lemon oil. The only thing you should be using on an ebony fretboard is a completely dry, inkless, microfibre cloth. Use soft, circular motions along the bare wood to clean it - try to stay away from the nut and the fretwire if possible. Your sweat and the natural oil in your skin is actually good for the wood, so don't wipe it down too often - once every three or four months is usually best, just to take off the top layer of dirt that may have built up. It's actually quite fine to never wipe down an ebony fretboard. Even rosewood fretboards only need to be wiped down every year or so.
Yes, I know everything. No, I can't play worth a damn.
A child is trafficked and sold for sex slavery every 30 seconds. Support Love146.
Ebony doesn't even need lemon oil. The only thing you should be using on an ebony fretboard is a completely dry, inkless, microfibre cloth. Use soft, circular motions along the bare wood to clean it - try to stay away from the nut and the fretwire if possible. Your sweat and the natural oil in your skin is actually good for the wood, so don't wipe it down too often - once every three or four months is usually best, just to take off the top layer of dirt that may have built up. It's actually quite fine to never wipe down an ebony fretboard. Even rosewood fretboards only need to be wiped down every year or so.

Is bad to lemon oil with it? I've been doing it cause I like the smell and the feel.
You can call me Aaron.

♠♣♥♦
Out on parole, any more instances of plum text and I get put back in...
Depends how muc you do it. If you only give it a tiny, tiny amount every six months or so, no problem although you won't get any benefit from it either. If you're dousing it in the stuff then you might as well just piss on the guitar and chuck it in a fire, save some time. This goes for rosewood fretboards too.
A child is trafficked and sold for sex slavery every 30 seconds. Support Love146.
EBONOL... =material as in bowling balls,shiny as a mirror,etc...

Phenolic fretboard,anyone...
geez already thought this was going to happen
Blackstar HT5 Combo
Jackson RR24

Last edited by Youri at Sep 9, 2010,
Well if your sig rig is up to date, your Jackson has an Ebony fretboard. Frankly the only guitars I've ever heard of having a phenolic fretboard are the '80s Kramers and Steinbergers. Even then they were a rarity.

Anyhoo, you would treat a phenolic (or other synthetic) fretboard just the same as you would treat ebony or a maple fretboard with a finish on it; dry, inkless, microfibre cloth, soft and smooth motions, don't use any liquids, scrubbing at it will only damage it. The only difference between a phenolic and an ebony fretboard is that the phenolic one should be slightly easier to clean.
I also have a Jeff Waters sig,thanks for the input!
Blackstar HT5 Combo
Jackson RR24

Quote by Youri
EBONOL... =material as in bowling balls,shiny as a mirror,etc...

Phenolic fretboard,anyone...
geez already thought this was going to happen

I was waiting for someone to pick up on that!

As you point out, ebonol is the same material used to manufacture bowling balls. It is a paper-based phenolic laminate. As such, it is impervious to just about everything. You can use Armor All or something similar to clean it.
"Maybe this world is another planet's hell?" - Aldous Huxley
Quote by FatalGear41
As such, it is impervious to just about everything. You can use Armor All or something similar to clean it.
Sure, that's fine for the surface of the fretboard, but get that near the base of the fretboard, near the fretwire or the nut and you're in trouble.

Even if your entire guitar was made from aluminium and perspex, don't use any chemicals of any kind on it. The one and only liquid that should ever come within three feet of a guitar is lemon oil or a synthetic lemon oil, and even that should only be used on rosewood fretboards once a year or so. Anything else - even just plain ol' water - is going to play merry hell with the fittings, the finish, the fretwire, all sorts.