Howdy!

This is something I've often overlooked. When playing a 5-string major barre chord starting on the A string such as a B (below), I use my first and 3rd fingers. The 3rd finger barres the 3 notes on the 4th frets.

E--2--
B--4--
G--4--
D--4--
A--2--
E--x--

The problem I have is that my 3rd finger actually barres the top 4 strings which changes the chord (BM12? idk)

E--4--
B--4--
G--4--
D--4--
A--2--
E--x--

How do I avoid this? I love playing acoustic but whenever I have to play Bmajor in that position, I find myself either using a weaker strum because I'm trying not to play that top string or hitting it anyway and then the chord sounds wrong. The reason I won't just play the 6-string fingering for the chord is that the tone/timbre/whatever sounds slightly different, plus it's a bit of a position-shift from playing open chords.

I realise that this "wrong" note is just doubling up the 5th, but it's distracting nonetheless. Is this form of the chord considered incorrect?

tl;dr - Suggest different fingerings for the 5-string BMajor Barre beginning on the A-string
the 'wrong' note (E string fret 4) is not doubling up the 5th. The 5 on that chord is indeed fret 2.

You can barre the 2nd fret... and that leaves you 3 fingers to play the 4th fret notes. It's a little awkward but it works just fine.
Quote by cringer
the 'wrong' note (E string fret 4) is not doubling up the 5th. The 5 on that chord is indeed fret 2.

You can barre the 2nd fret... and that leaves you 3 fingers to play the 4th fret notes. It's a little awkward but it works just fine.

this. I hate it cause it's so awkward and it just doesn't flow so smoothly sometimes. but it's what can be done
Quote by pedromiles101
you're not gonna want to take a dump in a gross, off-colored, vintage toilet. you want something that is white and pearly; something that shines. something that you can put your cheeks against and say, "f*** yeah"
Quote by cringer

oops! my bad. 6th I meant, I got confused with the 2nd fret.

I just tried that and got it first time >_< the last time I tried it that way was back before I could use my pinky! It seems more difficult higher up the neck, though.

Cheers for the help
Just don't play the high E... that's what I do anyway. That note doesn't make much difference in this chord anyway, and besides - you've got your root, third and fifth without it so it's not like you desperately need it.
I would just barre the 4th fret with my 3rd finger like you do

If you desperately want that note you add that note on the low E string. I realise it's not the same octave but it might add the timbre you're looking for.

But then when he needs to grab say, a G major on the A string what's he gonna do then?

The way i do it is place your barre down, and use the 3rd finger to barre the other notes. You'll have the get it positioned just right but it can be done, on all major barre chords up and down the a string, too.