Hi there.

I currently have a Crate GT212 amp and it is serving me alright. no problems really (not the greatest tone in the world but it's ok).

A contact of mine is selling a POD x3 at a good price and I have been thinking of buying it but in order to buy it I will have to sell my amp first.

Here are the pros and Cons

Pros
===
- x3 has a wide variety of tones as well as effects where the GT212 only has reverb
- I can record my tone in high quality without needing to buy a mic
- x3 is very portable

Cons
====
- No amp means I will have to play through my PC Speakers (logitech x-540) or save up and buy studio monitors which are quite expensive.
- Cant change sounds mid song as I would need to buy an FBV board for that and they are also quite pricey
- although the x3 is portable, if I go for a Jam session I would need to take speakers with.

[What other pros and cons am I not thinking of???]

Please express your opinion, 'ditch the amp and get the pod' or hang on to the amp and ignore the pod'. Also include a reason for saying so, and do not tell to to go out and buy an alternative product as I do not have the funds available for that.

Thanks for any and all help.
Ibanez RG321MH - PearlBlue (Now with EMG 85 and 81)
Jackson JS30RR - Black
Ibanez RG321MH - Black (now Red)

line 6 POD x3
CRATE GT212
Boss NS-2 (unused)
Ibanez TubeKing TK999HT (unused)

http://www.youtube.com/gconry
since you use it to jam, you have to keep your amp (or buy a higher powered PA)

if you dont jam, then its a taste situation. if you like X3 sounds over the crate, i would get the X3.

do you need to sell the crate to buy the X3 or something? because if you do, you got some thinking to do because the best option is this :
Keep the crate, run the X3 into the crate(Line in?) is best all around solution!
Well currently I do not jam but I want to get a band together. I dont have the money to buy without selling and my contact is selling the x3 to someone else tomorrow if I do not take the deal.

Studio monitors are expensive here (South Africa) as I assume most of them are imported. Cheapest I can get decent ones for is about R2000 (+- 220 - 250 US$).

I am getting a good price for the pod as well (but that ends tomorrow afternoon). about 200 US$ off local retail price.
Jackson JS30RR - Black

line 6 POD x3
CRATE GT212
Boss NS-2 (unused)

Keep the amp. if your wanting to get a band together it will be a lot easier to do with an amp.
Guitars:
LTD F-50
Yamaha EG-112
'77 Harmony
Roadworn Starcaster
Gretsch G5120

Amps:
Vypyr 15
Epiphone Valve Junior combo
In this case, I'd save the amp.

I really don't understand why someone would buy the non-live version of the XT in the first place. Such a waste of money
Quote by Dave_Mc
I've had tube amps for a while now, but never actually had any go down on me
Quote by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com
Save up and wait. Line 6 will be launching a new POD lineup, the POD HD, in the next couple weeks. Ads are already in magazines and it’s made brief appearances online. Once they’ve been on sale for a little while the market will be flooded with used Line 6 units.
Quote by jpnyc
Save up and wait. Line 6 will be launching a new POD lineup, the POD HD, in the next couple weeks. Ads are already in magazines and it’s made brief appearances online. Once they’ve been on sale for a little while the market will be flooded with used Line 6 units.

Being in South Africa it will take a while before those PODs get here, and when they do the price tag will be massve. The boss GT-10 is still like (using 7.5 exchange rate) 1065 US$. and there is no way I can get that money together.
Jackson JS30RR - Black

line 6 POD x3
CRATE GT212
Boss NS-2 (unused)

I have decided to lend money from a friend and buy the x3, not selling my amp.
Jackson JS30RR - Black

line 6 POD x3
CRATE GT212
Boss NS-2 (unused)