Page 1 of 2
Hey guys, I'm a college student and I've become interested in purchasing an electric guitar. I want to buy it just to mess around with it, I don't intend to go pro or or join a band or anything. Mainly just to give me something to do other than sit on the computer all day.

I want something that isn't too expensive but not too cheap either and I was hoping to get a few recommendations as to what kind of guitar/amp I should look into for my needs.

Thanks!
Well, my budget (ideally) would be under $500 for the guitar/amp + anything else I might need. I'd also rather buy new than used, I don't like buying used stuff. Well, err, as for genre, guess rock would qualify closest.
I'd say an Epiphone SG or Les Paul of some sort, and maybe a Peavey Vypyr. That'd give you about $100 for cables and strings and all that good stuff.
Kodiak bears make awesome bandmates.

Quote by wolvenrick
no seriously 7x NGD is epicness i declare you the winner of all NGD's on UG never have i seen this xD
Well, again, I'd rather buy new, but if a used amp means I can spend more on a better guitar, well then, I'm open to suggestions.
buying amps new is waaay more expensive, buy a used one. Amps dont break easily and are most of the time cheap to repair.
Quote by guusw
buying amps new is waaay more expensive, buy a used one. Amps dont break easily and are most of the time cheap to repair.

Amps are never cheap to repair.
Jackson DK2M
ESP LTD M-200FM w/Tone Zone + PAF Pro
Ibanez RG7321
Digitech Whammy IV
Digitech GSP1101
Furman M-10 LxE
Peavey 6505
ISP Decimator
Well guitar wise, I've found a les paul 100 for 175$. I found a epi lp standard plus for 350$

Amp: Marshall AVT 20 for 150$

EDIT: I've found a bunch of epi lp 100's for cheaper which may be good for you. I'll keep looking.
Last edited by salgala2000 at Sep 9, 2010,
I've noticed that the Epiphone LP's don't have "wammy bars", is this a big deal? Pardon my ignorance, I've never owned a guitar before and don't know much about them. :\

To be perfectly honest, I'd much rather buy a new guitar than deal with any issues that may arise from a used, out of warranty one.
Last edited by DrFeelLove at Sep 9, 2010,
It's ok. That's what were here for.

A whammy bar changes the pitch of a note. LP's don't have whammy bars, but they have more sustain (the notes ring out longer) which is a good thing.
Whammy bars can also be a good thing, but keep in mind, when your dealing with cheaper guitars, whammy bars sometimes get out of tune very easily.

It's your choice if you want it or not.
Ah I see, so for the cheaper guitars under $500, do you guys have any specific recommendations? Fender Starcaster or Epiphone LP Special II etc.?

Let me make myself a little clearer, I don't need "top" sound or anything like that right now, just something to mess around with my spare time, ya
If you want a strat style guitar:
http://www.guitarcenter.com/Squier-Deluxe-Strat-Electric-Guitar-104798301-i1389949.gc

SG:
http://www.guitarcenter.com/Epiphone-G-310-SG-Electric-Guitar-101941128-i1149969.gc

les paul:
http://www.guitarcenter.com/ESP-LTD-EC-100QM-Electric-Guitar-516637-i1149006.gc

Tele:
http://www.guitarcenter.com/Squier-Standard-Telecaster-Electric-Guitar-510470-i1146381.gc

This is my top pick:
http://www.guitarcenter.com/ESP-LTD-H-101-Flame-Maple-512889-i1177179.gc

Let me give you some info,

STRAT:
Has single coil pickups. This means that these don't sound as good with distorion as "humbuckers" (2 single coil pickups together), but they have a significantly better clean sound. Jimi Hendrix uses these. Has a whammy bar. Very good for blues. Doesn't stay in tune all so well.

Les Paul:
Has humbuckers so it's good for distortion, but the clean sound isn't that great. It has lots of sustain, but no whammy bar. Stays in tune well. More of a heavier kind of music guitar. It can sound "muddy" at times. Used by jimmy page. Neck is thick, i like it, you may or may not.

SG:
A guitar for classic rock. It's very comfortable and light, has less sustain than a les paul but still has good sustain, no whammy bar. Jimmy pages double neck was this. Humbuckers mean good for distortion, muddy sometimes. Comfortable neck, stays in tune well.

Tele:
A guitar used for cleans. This give the worst distortion sound of all but the best clean sound. It has no whammy, stays in tune well. Thinner neck than a sg/lp. used by Jim Root (lawlz)

My top pick:
Superstrat. Good for hard rock. Light, good neck. Humbuckers are good for distortion but not so great clean sound. No whammy, good sustain, stays in tune well. Nice finish.

It's all subjective now. Which one of those descriptions do you like best?
I know exactly what you should get.

Agile AL-2000
http://www.rondomusic.com/
(Search for the Agile AL-2000 on that website.)

Peavey Vypyr 15
http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/Peavey-Vypyr-15-15W-1x8-Guitar-Combo-Amp?sku=482908

The Agile guitars are great for the price. This one will definitely last a long time for you, and it isn't too expensive. However, they are a copy brand. They are very similar to Epiphone Les Pauls, but have a price advantage. Also, you can only order then online.

The Vypyr is a versatile practice amp, which I consider the best-sounding amp for the price. If you want to play around with different kinds of music, the Vypyr is your best bet.
Last edited by TMF128 at Sep 9, 2010,
I'd basically recommend what I started with:

For you guitar a Squier Standard Stratocaster, I found it to be perfect for starting out and despite what some may say here, it's a good guitar for A) learning and B) inexpensive just in case you don't stick with it (like I didn't for about 7 months).

http://www.guitarcenter.com/Squier-Standard-Stratocaster-Electric-Guitar-101012748-i1146337.gc

And for the amp a Roland Micro Cube, it's loud enough and it doesn't take up a shit ton of room. And as I said above, it's perfect for starting out and it's not overly expensive.

http://www.guitarcenter.com/Roland-Micro-Cube-Combo-Amp-102542180-i1175936.gc

With that said, it's all about what you like & how you want to sound and the people above me have given some great choices as well.
Call me old fashioned but I prefer 'rock music' that has electric guitars.
Since you're in a college environment, I'm going to guess you don't need a loud amp. You'd be very well off with a Peavey Vypyr of some kind. The 15 watt one is the cheapest, and it'll be good enough for a beginner, so I'd recommend it.

Do NOT buy any Starter Kits. DO NOT. More often then not they'll have a bad guitar, and a bad amp.

As for a guitar...all you said was "rock" and that's a complete blanket term.

So from that Vypyr, you have about $400 left.

For $400, you won't really get a guitar with a reliable whammy bar. If you use it a few times on a low end Fender/squier, your music will end up sounding like something from Slipknot. If you really want one that badly, you'd have to go with a Licensed Floyd Rose, which is on a lot of low end guitars. Just be aware, ANY Floyd Rose will be horrible unless you set it up correctly. And the thing with licensed ones, they're usually made of cheap metal, which will degrade.

Name some bands you listen to, so we can see your tastes in music, and we'll recommend a guitar.
Last edited by Aturaya at Sep 9, 2010,
Great suggestions and tips thus far! I will definitely be taking all of your advice into consideration when I make my decision.

I felt the same way about the starter kits, I always figured they would be crap. Hence why I would like to buy separately and get stuff that's a bit better and will last for a while.

Anyways, I've always really liked bands such as Oasis, The Stone Roses and The Verve, that's a good sample of what I'm listening to a lot of now.

Also, I'm in college but I live at home, so it's ok, anyways, I still dont need a super power amp. In fact, I may have headphones plugged in to the amp more than using the actual amp itself.
amp: http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/Peavey-Vypyr-30-30W-1x12-Guitar-Combo-Amp?sku=482909

ibanez art 100: http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/Ibanez-ART100-Artist-Electric-Guitar?sku=512354

the ibanez art 100 is a great beginner guitar, becuse it sounds and plays just like a 500$ or so les paul, but 200 dollars cheaper. (and who dosnt want that?)
Survivor of:
Maryland Deathfest X
Maryland Deathfest XI
Maryland Deathfest XII
Then I'd look for a small wattage tube amp. I saw a vox AC4 and a fender superchamp from looking on your craigslist before. Peavey viper too but if your getting a guitar with humbuckers and not playing that heavy of music it can become muddy. To me it's a modder's amp anyways.

EDIT:
If this is strictly for headphone playing, you'd be better of just getting some sort of POD. I'd reccomend POD x3 live. You get a bunch of pretty decent sounding effects, especially to the untrained ear and if you set up the effects right. Keep in mind, you don't have a speaker so unless you have some sort of speakers to plug it into, if you get it will be only headphones.
X3 LIVE

Pro's:
A shitload of effects
Decent Tone
Portable
Foot pedal for switching effects
Easy to record with
Lots of extra features

Con's:
No speakers
Once you develop your ear, it may not be as good as "true tube tone"
Can be overwhelming
Last edited by salgala2000 at Sep 9, 2010,
How about a FEnder Strat. It's very adaptable and very fun to play.

ron666
I plan on using headphones sometimes, but not all the time. Anyways, I've set my budget in stone at $500 including a guitar and amp.

Right now I'm seriously look at the Ibanez Art 100 ($300) with the Peavey Vypyr 15W Amp ($100). This leaves me with $100 for cables, case, etc. I've been checking out some reviews and so far nothing comes close for the price which is very attractive.

Any other things I might be looking at? I'm gonna visit Sam Ash tomorrow (*GASP*) but I'm just gonna look, I doubt I'll buy anything from them. I have a hard time trusting big store vendors.
Quote by salgala2000

STRAT:
Has single coil pickups. This means that these don't sound as good with distorion as "humbuckers" (2 single coil pickups together), but they have a significantly better clean sound. Jimi Hendrix uses these. Has a whammy bar. Very good for blues. Doesn't stay in tune all so well.

Les Paul:
Has humbuckers so it's good for distortion, but the clean sound isn't that great. It has lots of sustain, but no whammy bar. Stays in tune well. More of a heavier kind of music guitar. It can sound "muddy" at times. Used by jimmy page. Neck is thick, i like it, you may or may not.

SG:
A guitar for classic rock. It's very comfortable and light, has less sustain than a les paul but still has good sustain, no whammy bar. Jimmy pages double neck was this. Humbuckers mean good for distortion, muddy sometimes. Comfortable neck, stays in tune well.

Tele:
A guitar used for cleans. This give the worst distortion sound of all but the best clean sound. It has no whammy, stays in tune well. Thinner neck than a sg/lp. used by Jim Root (lawlz)

My top pick:
Superstrat. Good for hard rock. Light, good neck. Humbuckers are good for distortion but not so great clean sound. No whammy, good sustain, stays in tune well. Nice finish.

Please leave. Like, now please.
Epiphone Dot
DIY Esquire w/Neovin Power Rock pickup
Vox AC30VR 212
Arion MTE-1 (LED clipping diodes added)
Vox Tonelab LE
Roland SDE1000 delay

Quote by DaMarsbarPerson
By high-gain I don't mean stupid stuff. I just mean styles like Motley Crue or Iron Maiden
Also, if you know someone who plays guitar, get them to come with you to sam ash. They`ll most likely know lots about guitar and could examine it for you. Might be some bad frets, bowed neck, etc.
Caution:
This post may contain my opinion and/or inaccurate information.

Current Rig:
2006 PRS CE-24
Mesa/Boogie Mark V
Voltage S212 w/ V30's
Strymon Timeline
CMATMods Signa Drive
TC Electronics Corona & Hall of Fame
I don't know anybody who plays guitar and I hadn't realized how complicated things could get with these guitars. Damn, I'm out on a limb here, apparently all guitars under $250 are crap and if I spend $300 on a guitar it better work good for a while. Gah!

Hell, I don't even know if I will like playing guitar! $500 is a lot for a college student like me with tuition getting more expensive by the day!
Quote by MortifiedLizard
AGREED.

YOU, FUZZY LITTLE MAN PEACH! Listen up. Peavey Vypyr 15. Like so many people have pointed out, the Vypyr 15 is one of the better amps in the $100 range. The guitar is a little trickier, but I agree with the one who said Agile. They are also decent for the money, and are more reliable as compared to Epiphone's beginner guitar lineup. Since you are a beginner, you probly don't know what flaws to look for in a used guitar. So stick to an Agile guitar off of Rondo Music's website.
Epi Elitist LP Plus
Marshall Class 5
Vox AC30 CC2

"A person is a success if they get up in the morning and gets to bed at night and in between does what he wants to do."
Last edited by The3818919 at Sep 9, 2010,
Buying used from a dealer is less of a crap shoot if you do not know what you are looking at/for.A good dealer will have some sort of exchange policy for the first 30 days or so. But, unless the guitar is broken which you would see.....things like cracks or the head stock dangling by a fiber do not fear a used guitar. Why you might ask. Most of the time there are no issues a warranty would have covered in the first place. Over time the garbage gets weeded out. Plus with the morons in Washington steering our economy into the crapper, there are bargains to be had in used gear now.
Bhaok

The following statement is true. The proceeding statement is false.
Hum, for ~$500 I think I'd suggest a Squier Fat Strat (standard, or classic vibe) and a Vox VT15. A used Mexican made Stratocaster would be better. They're usualy around $300 used. See if a local music store has one for sale. That should give you some security if something goes wrong.

I wouldn't recomend a Starcaster or LP special II (and don't buy a start pack. The amps suck). They can be good to start on but their are alot of lemons. If you can take someone who plays with you maybe it'll help you pick a good one but I still don't recomend that if you can do better.
Quote by DrFeelLove
Rondo has a countless number of Agile guitars, which is the most popular one?

The AL-2000 is the one you should probably look at. Its $220, but has considerably higher quality for its price.
Any more suggestions? Everyone seems to suggest a different guitar. I know nothing of tuning or upgrading individual guitar pieces so I will need something simple that is not going to require constant tuning or upgrading if you know what I mean.

I am a complete n00b when it comes to guitars so I need something that is ready to play out of the box for a reasonable price.
To be honest I would get this Amp:
http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/Peavey-Vypyr-15-15W-1x8-Guitar-Combo-Amp?sku=482908
Good, affordable.

And this Guitar:
http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/Squier-Classic-Vibe-Stratocaster-50s-Electric-Guitar-?sku=519338
It's a really good guitar, and I don't think the tremelo (wammy) will throw it out of tune.

And you'll have roughly 50 left for chords, picks, extra strings, strap, etc.

EDIT: To be honest, if you're new I suggest you go for feel over tone. Go to a music store with a list of guitars named here, and try some. You generally don't need a specific guitar for any genre. (although some WILL sound better for certain genres) Just get what feels nice, you can always change tone by changing alot of stuff, not so easy getting a better feeling instrument. Also, I'm not sure if anyone brought this up but if you are concerned with tone, it comes from the amp. You'd want to get better amp than guitar if you want tone...
Current Gear:
Mexican Fender Telecaster
Robert Smith custom Jazzmaster
Stratocaster
Vox AC4TV
Last edited by unicornfist at Sep 10, 2010,
Quote by MortifiedLizard

Why?
I was trying to explain 6 different types of guitars to a guy who nows next to nothing in 1 post.

Generally, humbuckers are considered more for distortion, single coils are more for cleans. Agree?

If your looking for a strictly clean guitar, you go for a tele. I wish i wouldn't have worded it like that. I think tele's sound good distorted. My point is Tele's are usually viewed as a guitar for playing clean, not hard rock/heavy metal whatever. Again, Jim root is the ultimate exception.
Alright, so far the amp I will get will be the Peavey Vypyr 15W since I've heard a lot of good things about it. It's also small and compact, perfect for my room, price is very attractive too.

I went to a couple of guitar stores today (Best Buy, Sam Ash and Guitar Center), unfortunately there are no smaller vendors around here which left me feeling very intimidated at these stores. In fact, I wasn't even offered any help and the employees seemed to be less than welcoming, I was (surprisingly) offered help at Best Buy after a while but their selection was very limited.

So guitar selection is still up in the air, right now I'm looking at the Agile AL-2000 ($225) and Ibanez ART100 ($300). Right now I'm leaning towards a cheaper guitar because again, I don't know if a couple months down the road I will still be into it. I've nailed down my final set budget for the guitar alone at $300. I don't know what others to consider at this point.
Last edited by DrFeelLove at Sep 10, 2010,
Quote by salgala2000
It's ok. That's what were here for.

A whammy bar changes the pitch of a note. LP's don't have whammy bars, but they have more sustain (the notes ring out longer) which is a good thing.
Whammy bars can also be a good thing, but keep in mind, when your dealing with cheaper guitars, whammy bars sometimes get out of tune very easily.

It's your choice if you want it or not.

It's not really a choice :P If it's a first guitar and the budget is low, guitars with tremolos aren't worth considering.
Current guitar options: Agile AL-2000, Ibanez RG2EX1, Ibanez Yes (ART100) and Squier by Fender Standard Telecaster.

Which one? I'm mainly looking for something that's going to stay in tune and not need infinite amounts of tinkering to remain playable.
Last edited by DrFeelLove at Sep 11, 2010,
Quote by DrFeelLove
Alright, so far the amp I will get will be the Peavey Vypyr 15W since I've heard a lot of good things about it. It's also small and compact, perfect for my room, price is very attractive too.

I went to a couple of guitar stores today (Best Buy, Sam Ash and Guitar Center), unfortunately there are no smaller vendors around here which left me feeling very intimidated at these stores. In fact, I wasn't even offered any help and the employees seemed to be less than welcoming, I was (surprisingly) offered help at Best Buy after a while but their selection was very limited.

So guitar selection is still up in the air, right now I'm looking at the Agile AL-2000 ($225) and Ibanez ART100 ($300). Right now I'm leaning towards a cheaper guitar because again, I don't know if a couple months down the road I will still be into it. I've nailed down my final set budget for the guitar alone at $300. I don't know what others to consider at this point.

Go for the 30 watt version of the Vypyr, as your ears develop you'll come to appreciate that 12" speaker a lot more.

EDIT: I'd go for the Ibanez ART100 for the guitar. Matt Good (ex-From First to Last, DRUGS) even tours with his. They're very sturdy instruments.
Basses:
Fender Precision Bass
Fender Jazz Bass
1967 Fender Coronado Bass II
Warwick Star Bass
Squier Precision Bass TB
Last edited by consecutive e at Sep 11, 2010,
Page 1 of 2