Hi,

I am getting into Stoner Rock, and I am used to E and D tunings with my Gibson SG Standard, so I probably need a new guitar just for low tunings in B and C (perhaps even A) but within the price range of 500-600€

Please tell me some good models for this, and also what kind of strings I should use.

Oh, and keep the models "classy" I hate these pointy new shapes the "heavy" guitars have (keep in mind I play the "boring" design of a SG)
Look into an old 80s yamaha SG (id say go for at least the 800) on teh ebayz.

Mahagony body, maple top, neck through, two humbuckers.

Well famed for slaying les pauls with a slimmer neck profile.

Probably quite similar to your SG, but generally a mahogany bodies dual humbucker guitar is whats used for stoner rock.
An SG is pretty much a perfect stoner rock guitar. Just put a set of 11s or 12s on it, that would be my advice
Quote by fleajr_1412
You have amazing taste in men.

Are You a PROG-HEAD? I am.
But I also want to play standard tunings, so I need another guitar.

I doubt my other guitar, Epihone, will last any long if I try to put 12 strings on it and downtune it.
Im confused...do you have a Gibson or an Epiphone?

Edit: too lazy to delete, but I have to agree put some 11s/12s on your standard and you'll be able to handle lower tunings NO problem.
I've tuned my £250 Schecter Tempest down to A before. If you have the strings for it and aren't afraid of getting or doing a setup then it'll hold up fine
Quote by fleajr_1412
You have amazing taste in men.

Are You a PROG-HEAD? I am.
I don't think you'll have problems with an SG. More sustain would be great for doomier stoner, but you can use/abuse feedback for that end - also its stoner, so you should feel pretty much obligated to. Imo, stoner should have a very thick tone, so mahogany body, mid-high output humbuckers is what Im thinking.
Les Paul works if you really want to change guitar. If you trust wiki enough, http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Matt_Pike Sleep used Les Pauls, and they have awesome stonerness, so I personally agree with myself that Les Paul is (a) way to go.
Hmm interesting.

Although I want double cut away.

I have both Epiphone and Gibson.

Would an Epiphone with some new pickups handle the job?
Josh Homme has a signature model Maton that he uses as his main guitar. Check out the Maton range, very underrated guitars.
My stuff:
Gibson Les Paul Special w/- humbuckers
Gibson Flying V
Ibanez RG550 1992
Epiphone Wildkat
LTD EC50
Marshall AVT150H
Marshall 1960A reissue
Fender Pro185
A wife who thinks I have too much stuff....
How about an Ampeg Dan Armstrong? Fu Manchu uses them a lot and they count as stoner rock I think... they're double cutaway, made in USA, pretty classy looking IMO, the only problem you might have is no neck pickup, but the tone knob will probably do wonders for your cause there. The major online dealers pretty much all carry just the expensive Plexi model, but the cheaper wood ones are on ebay all the time.
Epiphone Dot
DIY Esquire w/Neovin Power Rock pickup
Vox AC30VR 212
Arion MTE-1 (LED clipping diodes added)
Vox Tonelab LE
Roland SDE1000 delay

Quote by DaMarsbarPerson
By high-gain I don't mean stupid stuff. I just mean styles like Motley Crue or Iron Maiden
matt pike now uses ** FIRST-ACT **

its a custom, 9-string job'er though
Look around for a Schecter C-1 EX. It’s a baritone made for B standard with a Duncan '59 in the neck that can do some great stoner sounds. Nobody bought them and some stores are still trying to clear them out for under $500.
Quote by jpnyc
Look around for a Schecter C-1 EX. It’s a baritone made for B standard with a Duncan '59 in the neck that can do some great stoner sounds. Nobody bought them and some stores are still trying to clear them out for under $500.

So I guess you missed the part in OP where he said he wanted something classy and dislikes pointy heavy metal guitars?
Epiphone Dot
DIY Esquire w/Neovin Power Rock pickup
Vox AC30VR 212
Arion MTE-1 (LED clipping diodes added)
Vox Tonelab LE
Roland SDE1000 delay

Quote by DaMarsbarPerson
By high-gain I don't mean stupid stuff. I just mean styles like Motley Crue or Iron Maiden
Quote by MortifiedLizard
So I guess you missed the part in OP where he said he wanted something classy and dislikes pointy heavy metal guitars?

How on earth is this:

Pointy and metal exactly?

TS: Anything with a mahogany body and vintage voiced humbuckers will do the job, basically any Les Paul or SG type guitar from the more vintage style manufacturers, so definitely not ESP.
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
Quote by MortifiedLizard

I hardly think a C-1 counts as a "pointy metal guitar."

Anyway, the SG should be just fine, really. It's lack of sustain can be mitigated with overdrive and volume. But if that's not enough, you should really consider just a run-of-the-mill Les Paul Standard. It's a pretty fitting instrument for stoner rock and metal.

If you're very very into those super-low tunings, though, you might want to look into a baritone.
Quote by Flying Couch
If you're very very into those super-low tunings, though, you might want to look into a baritone.

Heavier strings will do it fine, most of the companies that make baritone instruments ruin them for stoner sounds by putting pickups that are far too high-output and modern into the instrument anyway. Really the essence of a stoner sound is to take a vintage tone (classic black sabbath type of thing) and then just add more volume and gain, putting anything too modern in the signal choice just takes away some of the stoner-ness.

Alternatively... just add distortion that borders on fuzz.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
Thanks all of you.

I will look at that Shecter, and my Epiphone is a SG G400.

If I could just change the setup on the G400 there would be no problems other than to change the old shitty pikups I have.
Yeah, the G-400 would do stoner metal well with a pickup swap.
Also, look at an Ibanez SZ.
Or +1 on the Yamaha SG if you can find one, they've got killer necks.
No gods, no countries, no masters.
More guitar, less Ultimate-Guitar.
Be Serious.
Shorties represent!
Ibanez SZ520/Ibanez ORM-1/Ibanez RG7321/Pocket POD/Crate GX/Boss HM-2
My sg is strung 12-17-22w-36-46-60, for B standard and dropped A. For sludge/stoner/doom/hippy type of stuff I'd go with thinner, looser strings for that specific tuning(s). 12 to 56 should be a good starting point. Tony Iommi ran 9-42 for C# (!). That might be a little extreme but the slackness adds a heavy quality to the sound.
BTW That stock bridge p/u in the g400 is actually decent for what you're going for, tonewise. big midrange on those with mellower treble.
I use EB Beefy Sinkies (.11 -.54) currently and I like them.

I fully second the notion of Maton guitars up there, except for the fact they cost several thousands!
Quote by kenfrazee@gmail
Tony Iommi ran 9-42 for C# (!). That might be a little extreme but the slackness adds a heavy quality to the sound.

That's not really for tone or anything other than comfort though, he lost the tips of two fingers on his fret hand and uses the lower strings to help with the synthetic fingertips he uses.

Quote by Master Foo

Album.
Legion.
Epiphone SG without a pup change would be perfect fopr stoner rock,

really good for getting that slushy muddy bottom end.

i really liked mine for that sort of sound.

1977 Burny FLG70
2004 EBMM JP6
2016 SE Holcolmb
I don't know Stoner Rock, and I don't know the "look" you are going for with your guitar, but I recently bought a C-1 Blackjack EX used in excellent condition for $400, and I can tell you it has a nice feel to it. If you are looking to go this route, try to find one of the earlier offerings, without fret inlays, 2 knobs instead of 3, and a 5 way selector switch.

Good luck with whatever you get.
Last edited by Rt1Rebel at Sep 10, 2010,
just out of curiosity, is this the yamaha sg mentioned?
Quote by valterra
You traded him a sword for the guitar? You do realize that a smart person would just agree to the trade, take the sword, slay you with it, keep all of the loot and call it a day, right?

....What are they teaching you kids in school these days?!