Alright so here's the thing, I do not like practicing with a metronome...it's boring as hell. So i was wondering if anyone knew how to kinda get faster without using one. I'm not interested in playing like MAB or any other "shredder' type player. I'm into more blues..like Slash, Jimmy Page and people of that sort.

Please help?
A metronome is not just to get faster is also helps with accuracy. Besides a metronome is boring for everyone, just play along to songs and every once in a while throw in the metronome
Whaaaat!!!!!!
that's kinda what i do...i do have a good sense of rythym tho...but how do i get faster?
practice a part from a song that you cant play and start at half the tempo and then up the tempo by 3 bpm's each time
Whaaaat!!!!!!
Use guitar pro? You're gonna have to use a metronome one way or another to get faster and accurate
Whaaaat!!!!!!
just play along to songs or backing tracks. Assuming they stay in time, that's the same as using a metronome. I mean I never really use a metronome, and I don't think anyone has ever complained about my timing.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
try finding a program where you can make drum tracks, such as beatcraft. then just make the drum beat the tempo you want, and speed it up over time. it's the same concept, just a little more "exciting"
Originally posted by primusfan
When you crank up the gain to 10 and switch to the lead channel, it actually sounds like you are unjustifiably bombing an innocent foreign land.

╠═══════╬═══════╣
τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ
╠═══════╬═══════╣
^ yeah, that would be a good idea.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Dave_Mc
just play along to songs or backing tracks. Assuming they stay in time, that's the same as using a metronome. I mean I never really use a metronome, and I don't think anyone has ever complained about my timing.

Your timing is off.

But seriously, metronomes are necessary, at least from my classical music training. You can download them for your iPod even, but there's really no substitute.
Quote by corduroyEW
Cheap amps are "that bad". They suck up your tone like cocaine at Kate Moss' party.

I am Michael!
well i have been playing for about 3 years now, and i used to try to use a metronome when i started playing, but i just don't get how to stay in time when using ho and po's or bends or stuff like that
Quote by Danielghero
well i have been playing for about 3 years now, and i used to try to use a metronome when i started playing, but i just don't get how to stay in time when using ho and po's or bends or stuff like that
then you obviously DON'T have good rhythm, which is why you start small
Metronomes aren't necessary. Get a drum machine or a cheap multifx with a rhythm machine. How are going to play a blues shuffle with a metro? Plus metros are boring. But if you insist the rhythm machines have a metro selection.
Quote by fly135
Metronomes aren't necessary. Get a drum machine or a cheap multifx with a rhythm machine. How are going to play a blues shuffle with a metro? Plus metros are boring. But if you insist the rhythm machines have a metro selection.

Why wouldn't you be able to play a blues shuffle with a metronome? You do realize that it stays within a time signature. You can just set it to 4/4 or 12/8 or even 3/4
Whaaaat!!!!!!
well i play some excerises now with a metronome for warming up or whatever, but another problem is that my hand llike starts to get really tired whenever i play...???
Quote by cob666
Why wouldn't you be able to play a blues shuffle with a metronome? You do realize that it stays within a time signature. You can just set it to 4/4 or 12/8 or even 3/4
Well you can, but since a metro is a training device, you'll find it much more easy to learn a shuffle and a swing rhythm with an appropriate drum pattern. You won't get the sense of rhythm for shuffle or swing from a metro. Plus it sounds a whole lot better with a drum pattern. I really don't see the point of using a metro for most situations. Drums are so much more inspirational.
I use this....
http://www.desktopmetronome.com/c5/index.php/products/groove_box

I use this too...
http://www.desktopmetronome.com/c5/index.php/products/phrase_trainer/
The phrase trainer lets you loop sections, change tempo without affecting pitch and you can change the pitch to match your tuning.

They use to sell them together in bundles for cheap and there's free demos of both.
I don't think I've ever used a metronome in my life...and I play accurately in time signatures like 13/8 and 21/16...never had a problem.
Quote by tubab0y
Your timing is off.

But seriously, metronomes are necessary, at least from my classical music training. You can download them for your iPod even, but there's really no substitute.

hehe

i dunno, i mean i rarely used metronome even when i used to play the piano. My teacher put it on for a second or two to check i was in time, then turned it off.

I mean, don't get me wrong, they are useful, especially if you have timing issues (or want to make sure that you don't), but if you already have good timing, you don't really need them all that much.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
I know that a metronome helps me, and I use it a lot. I enjoy using it though. It helps me concentrate and keep my focus.
***Guitars***
Epiphone Les Paul Custom AP (w/ 2 Seymour Duncans)
Jackson Dx10D Dinky (w/ DiMarzio PAF Bridge)
Epihpone Hummingbird

***Amps***
Marshall JCM 2000 DSL 100 (Voodoo Modified)
Custom 4x12 Halfstack (w/ Veteran 30's)
Quote by Ginsu
I don't think I've ever used a metronome in my life...and I play accurately in time signatures like 13/8 and 21/16...never had a problem.
And you are playing them with drums right? Drums or metro, makes no difference as long as you are playing to one or the other. And if you aren't you really have no idea if you are in time or not.
Quote by Dave_Mc
hehe

i dunno, i mean i rarely used metronome even when i used to play the piano. My teacher put it on for a second or two to check i was in time, then turned it off.

I mean, don't get me wrong, they are useful, especially if you have timing issues (or want to make sure that you don't), but if you already have good timing, you don't really need them all that much.

They're also very useful when you're trying to get a tough passage up to speed. I do that a lot; start slow, get it perfect, push it five clicks, repeat until it's good.
Quote by corduroyEW
Cheap amps are "that bad". They suck up your tone like cocaine at Kate Moss' party.

I am Michael!
Quote by fly135

No offense, but this is kind of a load of bullshit...
A blues shuffle is still in a time signature. The only difference is that it's a shuffle. The eighth notes are swung.

TS, seriously... Use the metronome. It will develop speed, accuracy and meter. Without one, when you play you WILL speed up or slow down and you WON'T play in time. I don't care how good you think your rhythm is or not. If you can play a two-octave scale in quarter notes at 40bpm PERFECTLY, then you have good meter... You can play the fastest stuff ever and be ridiculous at alt. picking, sweeping, tapping, whatever, blah blah blah. However, if you can't play it in time, it will sound like shit, guaranteed. Don't make the same mistake that other guitarists make. Metronome practice is boring and monotonous, but without it, your playing will truly suffer.
Standard Strat
Jackson WRMG
Parker DF724

Axe-Fx Standard
Carvin DCM1000L

Mesa Trad. Slant Recto 4x12 (UK V30s)
Custom Horiz. 2x12 (Commonwealth 12s)
you should get some kind of drum software. With alot of beats to choose from, it is more fun than a metronome + helps you to get some feel for rhythm.
Quote by Karlboy
No offense, but this is kind of a load of bullshit...
A blues shuffle is still in a time signature. The only difference is that it's a shuffle. The eighth notes are swung.
No offense taken because you are interpreting my post in a too literal sense.
There are several ways to get a good drum machine and metronome. One of the cheapest is a Digitech RP55 it has drum machine with 30 selectable patterns. You would spend almost as much in software for your computer to have that. Musicians Friend is blowing them out at $49.99. Plus you can screw around with the effects to alleviate the boredom. I have an RP250 and use it's metronome and drum machine functions a lot.
Quote by tubab0y
They're also very useful when you're trying to get a tough passage up to speed. I do that a lot; start slow, get it perfect, push it five clicks, repeat until it's good.

aye
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?