Hey guys. Lately I've been tuning down the brutality and picking up my acoustic more. I've been doing a lot of playing chords and then incorporating simple melodies into the chords wherever I can (mostly matching the vocals for the song).

But that gets boring and sometimes you can't really do it for lack of fingers, so I've been thinking about ways that two guitarists could do this. Obviously you could just have one play the chords and the other pluck away at the melody one note at a time, but the guy playing the melody is going to fall asleep for most of these songs. So...

What are some interesting ways that you can play a melody (again, probably the vocal melody) along to some chords? All I've been able to think of is playing octaves of the note or harmonizing with yourself, neither of which are too great...
You will bow at my feet or I'll rip out your knees

and make of your face all the carnage you crave
check out eric johnson or some jazz players for that. get the hang of playing wide intervals like 6ths and 10ths and open voiced triads. there are lots of things to do really. it depends on the feel you want. if you want a jazzy type feel, then look up jazz players. if you want a more straight forward or even classical, look at eric johnson or other actual classical players. a good song from eric is "song for life".
Joe Pass is your answer.

Although if you're thinking of doing this with two guitar players, just look at, I hate to say it, the famous Stairway to Heaven riff. The real melody is the high notes on the E string and you're keeping a consistent eighth note rhythm with arpeggios. Any simple melody can be embellished this way. If you had another guy simply strumming the full chords under the riff I thin it might be close to the sound you're looking for.
Last edited by grampastumpy at Sep 9, 2010,
Oh ya, I see what you're saying. And it seems like everyone I talk to lately has been telling my that the solution to all my problems is to 'get into jazz'

Thanks for the tips guys.

get into jazz is not the asnwer to all of lifes problems, but it will help with this (if you want to have cool jazzy sounding chord melodys). The trick with this sort of thing, is that there is a difference between technique and idiomatic expressions. For example, I could outline a minor two five one progression using arpeggios, linear outlines, various chord scales and motivic work, or I could opt for an idiomatic bebop line. A Bebop line will sound 'jazzier' (or at least, conform to the mainstream of jazz), but I could outline the chord changes in a different way and not actually be jazzy.
Id recomend checking out The Advancing Guitarist, specifically the counterpoint chapter, and later the harmony chapter as well as the likes of Joe Pass and any classical players (chord melody playing is to classical guitar playing like walking down the street is to being a marathon runner) or rock and pop players (the above mentioned Stairway to heaven, Id argue Hallelujah--the jeff buckely version---has a secondary melody voiced in the chords as does a lot of John mayer) and get good at understanding how chords work, how they can be voiced and how to voice chords in a way to have both harmony and melody.
Awesome! I managed to *acquire* that book and it looks great, will definitely work my way through it, thanks for the suggestion!

Chord-melody playing is assigning chords to all of the melody notes, or at least most of them.
This involves harmonizing all those notes with appropriate chord voicings, and also working in an interesting bass line at the same time.
Best played fingerstyle.... The artists mentioned above are masters of this style.

Another approach is a bit simpler, the one used by bluegrass pickers. Picking out the melody notes while maintaining a "boom-chicka" rythym at the same time.
Awesome! I managed to *acquire* that book and it looks great, will definitely work my way through it, thanks for the suggestion!

yeah man, i feel like 70 percent of the advice I give on this forum involves me parroting 'check out the advancing guitarist', but I know its completely changed the way I think about the practice and performance of music, and I think the methods in it are so logical when you think of the way other instrumentalists practice, and how the best guitarists out there play.
Quote by 6StringSlaughtr
Hey guys. Lately I've been tuning down the brutality and picking up my acoustic more. I've been doing a lot of playing chords and then incorporating simple melodies into the chords wherever I can (mostly matching the vocals for the song).

But that gets boring and sometimes you can't really do it for lack of fingers, so I've been thinking about ways that two guitarists could do this. Obviously you could just have one play the chords and the other pluck away at the melody one note at a time, but the guy playing the melody is going to fall asleep for most of these songs. So...

What are some interesting ways that you can play a melody (again, probably the vocal melody) along to some chords? All I've been able to think of is playing octaves of the note or harmonizing with yourself, neither of which are too great...

Know several ways to play the same chord, and inversions etc. Then you may find you have to switch to different forms of the chord to reach certain melodies...That or you can be Ben Lacy.