Ok so I have no idea how to improv.....and I really need to learn cause i want to be a professional guitarist .....i really like the pentatonic scale...but i really have no idea what to do?
aren`t you suppose to use the searchbar before posting a new thread, there`s been about 4 threads within the past week on improv
Quote by Danielghero
Ok so I have no idea how to improv.....and I really need to learn cause i want to be a professional guitarist .....i really like the pentatonic scale...but i really have no idea what to do?

Play some notes?
just play untill you figure out what sounds best
The time I burned my guitar it was like a sacrifice. You sacrifice the things you love. I love my guitar.
Jimi Hendrix
Quote by AlfredGuitar
A lot of good advice here from your peers. We also just released a couple books in our new Improv Series for Guitar (some info on it here). One of them is for Modal soloing, and another is for Pentatonic soloing. You should be able to get these from your local Guitar Center or on Amazon.

Like most people will tell you, I got the most out of starting with the Pentatonic scale as it is so versatile at the beginning stage. As you progress, I'd suggest looking at other modes as well - you'll find some of the most beautiful guitar solos out there come from the various modes that are off the beaten path of major, minor, and pentatonic.

Hope this helps!

- Jordan
Marketing Coordinator, Guitar & Bass
Alfred Music Publishing

reported for spam
Last edited by ibanezgod1973 at Sep 13, 2010,
Quote by Danielghero

Professional guitarist in what sense? Session musician? Attend reputable music college/university, you need to be able to read music (almost) a vista, be able to modulate, construct chords very quickly and comp with taste, among many other things.

If you want to be a rock star, use your ears, you don't need any theory for it. Play one chord (even a power chord), record it, then try to play some melody (melody, not random notes) over it - if you got ears you will hear what is wrong and what is right. Don't worry abut scales.