I've been fed up with major manufacturers of guitar and amps for some time now, but it was only recently that I bit the bullet and ordered a Carvin custom guitar. In the wake of that decision, I had a thought - I'm just as picky about amps as I am about guitars, so why not look into a custom amp?

So I turn to GG&A. Any good custom builders to look in to? I was inspired by a thread about Baron Amps, so I know about them. But I don't know how they price and how custom they're willing to get. Affordability is a must, and I can clarify as to the sort of amp I'm looking for if needed.
Why not have a look at boutique amps? Manufacturers such as Mesa, Rivera, Top Hat and others build some fine amps. You said affordability is a must, but you didn't mention your budget. When I think of custom amp, I think of one-off, which cannot be cheap. Boutique is the way to go, at least for me.
Baron is willing to design an amp from the ground up for you, and from what I've seen their prices are very affordable.

There's also CEC Amps and ShotRod Productions who both have presences on UG, although I'm not sure if Shot is building amps for other people just yet, and I'm not sure either of them do particularly high gain designs.
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
What the hell is a G&L.

Quote by Flux'D
Gay & Lesbian I think, the box smelled funny
Greg what did you send me??
Well, there's full custom, and then there's made to order. Carvins are made to order, which is probably the same process you'd get with an amp. They'll have the general outline set up, and you can choose where you want to go from there. Ordering an amp built entirely from scratch isn't really the most cost-effective solution unless you want something really wild.

Fuchs has a hand tuning option for all of their amps, though most people like them just fine out of the box. Customized amps aren't as popular because the cost is often greater and they've got a bunch of knobs right on the front that change the tone.
Dr Z Amps...

Hold the reverb, add reverb...
If ordering a reverb model, you can still request an FX loop. No problem...
Want the ToneStack Bypass Mod installed? Your call... (At least in the Maz Jr and Sr)
Red, Black, Custom Wooden Faceplate... Your covered.
Surf Green, only at 1 location...
http://www.humbuckermusic.com/drzamps.html
Last edited by BurstBucker Pro at Sep 9, 2010,
Quote by Raijouta
Baron is willing to design an amp from the ground up for you, and from what I've seen their prices are very affordable.

There's also CEC Amps and ShotRod Productions who both have presences on UG, although I'm not sure if Shot is building amps for other people just yet, and I'm not sure either of them do particularly high gain designs.

That first bit is an excellent piece of info to know. Thank you.
Quote by KG6_Steven
Why not have a look at boutique amps? Manufacturers such as Mesa, Rivera, Top Hat and others build some fine amps. You said affordability is a must, but you didn't mention your budget. When I think of custom amp, I think of one-off, which cannot be cheap. Boutique is the way to go, at least for me.

I can't find anything like what I want from any major maker, elaborated below. If you know of anything like what's below, feel free to tell me.
Quote by BurstBucker Pro
Dr Z Amps...

Hold the reverb, add reverb...
If ordering a reverb model, you can still request an FX loop. No problem...
Want the ToneStack Bypass Mod installed? Your call... (At least in the Maz Jr and Sr)
Red, Black, Custom Wooden Faceplate... Your covered.
Surf Green, only at 1 location...
http://www.humbuckermusic.com/drzamps.html

There's a shop near where I work that has a ton of Dr. Zs. They're impressive but I didn't realize they did custom work. Thanks for the tip.
Quote by Roc8995
Well, there's full custom, and then there's made to order. Carvins are made to order, which is probably the same process you'd get with an amp. They'll have the general outline set up, and you can choose where you want to go from there. Ordering an amp built entirely from scratch isn't really the most cost-effective solution unless you want something really wild.

Fuchs has a hand tuning option for all of their amps, though most people like them just fine out of the box. Customized amps aren't as popular because the cost is often greater and they've got a bunch of knobs right on the front that change the tone.

Nah. Carvin amps don't really have much customizing at all beyond the tolexing. Tragic, because the guitars are incredible value.

I suppose I'll go ahead and elucidate as to my predicament. The thing about my amp is that it's hard to find not because it's some super-complicated machine that's got more controls than a stealth bomber. I can't find one because what I want is caveman simple and I can't find anyone that makes it.

I'm looking for a single-channel tube amp. It needs power scaling, a feature I found on the AC4TV and a feature that is also fucking awesome. I'm thinking it could scale to a variety of levels between 1/2 watt and 20-25 watts or so. No reverb, no effects loop. MAYBE a boost so that I can give it a little extra gain if I need it on the 20 watt setting. Responsiveness to my pick attack and playing style is of paramount importance, it needs to clean up not because I turn off the boost but because I eased off the pick attack. Tonally, it needs to be nice and thick, with a smooth creamy drive when pushed. Heavy on the mids and highs.

The closest I've found is the Vox AC4TV (which I own), but that gets muddy as all hell with humbuckers and lacks the power I need. I'll call Baron sometime but in the meantime keep the names coming, if you don't mind.
Quote by shredzilla720
Just e-mail dave at baron and see what he can do.

+1

based on what I've seen and heard from Kyle that is probably what I would do.

gotta give Craig at CECAmps credit too - his innards look amaaaaaazing

Quote by Raijouta

yep +1
Last edited by 311ZOSOVHJH at Sep 9, 2010,
With Dave i sent him emails daily to see what he could do, and i finally decided on an amp build from him. Just try and contact the builders as much as possible to see what they can do.
are you looking for fendery, voxish, or marshally?

if you are looking fendery, i may suggest dumble.

if you are looking voxy, maybe matchless?

or maybe a soldano astroverb? that may be a little bit higher gain for you, but i have heard that they are really responsive, although i have never had the luxury of hearing one in person or playing one.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
Quote by trashedlostfdup

or maybe a soldano astroverb? that may be a little bit higher gain for you, but i have heard that they are really responsive, although i have never had the luxury of hearing one in person or playing one.

i dont think affordability means 35,000 usd to TS.
Gibson Grand Concert Acoustic
roland AC90

I mean this one time I was jacking it pertty hard and was making noises and what not

You, my friend, are a genius!
Quote by Skagasm
i dont think affordability means 35,000 usd to TS.

they aren't nearly that expensive, or at least all of them. from what i have reasearched, more like $3k to $10k.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
Quote by iampeter
what is your vision? ^^

Quote by trashedlostfdup

I detailed my vision at the end of my second post in this thread. Excuse me for not typing it out again.

In terms of tone (not the admittedly rather odd selection of features I'm into), think Joe Walsh when he was in the James Gang, but thicker, mixed with some of Jan Akkerman on "Hocus Pocus" and the live version of the Black Crowes' "She Talks to Angels." (Can't find a good video of that one.) I'd also like to be able to cop a good The Sword tone, but I think I could get into that gain range with pedals if I really needed to.

I actually looked at the Astroverb, the Lucky 44 combo, and the Avenger 50 quite seriously. But I don't know that I'm willing to blow the money on a Soldano I've never played before, I'm in love with power scaling, and frankly I don't know that I've ever seen a Soldano that I didn't think was ass-ugly.

And yes, Dumble is well above what I consider affordable.
Quote by trashedlostfdup
they aren't nearly that expensive, or at least all of them. from what i have reasearched, more like $3k to $10k.

That would only be if you met Howard D. in person, and if he likes you, and if he likes your music, which is pretty much not happening for any non-big time musician.
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
What the hell is a G&L.

Quote by Flux'D
Gay & Lesbian I think, the box smelled funny
Greg what did you send me??
Quote by Raijouta
That would only be if you met Howard D. in person, and if he likes you, and if he likes your music, which is pretty much not happening for any non-big time musician.

He's only doing mods nowadays. And they're $5k a piece if you can find him. Which is surprisingly easy with the power of Google. IIRC Tag's Dumble sold for $50k+ a guitar trade or two.

But TS, are there any particular tones you really like? Smooth and creamy with lots of mid range and high end is a lot of amps. Kind of a generic description. And touch sensitivity is very common in any boutique amp worth it's salt. Power scaling is pretty rare though.
E-peen:
Rhodes Gemini
Fryette Ultra Lead
Peavey 6505
THD Flexi 50

Gibson R0 Prototype
EBMM JP13 Rosewood
Fender CS Mary Kaye

WTLT

(512) Audio Engineering - Custom Pedal Builds, Mods and Repairs
i say find a trainwreck clone
Originally posted by primusfan
When you crank up the gain to 10 and switch to the lead channel, it actually sounds like you are unjustifiably bombing an innocent foreign land.

╠═══════╬═══════╣
τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ
╠═══════╬═══════╣
Min (AcousticMirror) says get a Fargen MiniPlex. Or contact Morgan amps to get a custom build with VVR (power scaling) installed.
E-peen:
Rhodes Gemini
Fryette Ultra Lead
Peavey 6505
THD Flexi 50

Gibson R0 Prototype
EBMM JP13 Rosewood
Fender CS Mary Kaye

WTLT

(512) Audio Engineering - Custom Pedal Builds, Mods and Repairs
Quote by mmolteratx
Min (AcousticMirror) says get a Fargen MiniPlex. Or contact Morgan amps to get a custom build with VVR (power scaling) installed.

That Fargen is tempting. I'll have to save for that one for a bit if I want that, but that's definitely something to look at. Thanks for the tip. As for Morgan, the DAG 15 in particular is so close, and the AC10/AC20 look good too. Thanks for that, too, but I'll have to see about what Dave tells me.
Quote by forsaknazrael
He was referring to their guitars, saying that a guitar from them isn't really custom, you just choose their predetermined outlines of specs.
Reading it again, you're right. My b.