Page 1 of 2
http://blogs.telegraph.co.uk/culture/neilmccormick/100046523/morrissey-racist-hes-just-stirring-the-storm-in-his-proper-english-builders-tea-cup/

I don't think he is a racist, I think he is just the most ridiculously ignorant man, in proportion to how adulated he is; who says the most oafish things, for someone whose word is so highly regarded.

He's just a bellend. I love The Smiths(and so should you) mind.

EDIT: For anyone who doesn't know he has a history of flirting with right leaning politics and saying the most stupid shit on record.
Quote by Malakian88
Oh my bloody god. Imagine if you were a girl and you woke up to find your little brother's friend standing over you with his erect penis on your breasts...

Indeed.
Who?
Quote by SomeoneYouKnew
You should be careful what you say. Some asshole will probably sig it.

Quote by Axelfox
Yup, a girl went up to me in my fursuit one time.

Quote by Xiaoxi
I can fap to this. Keep going.
He's an attention seeking twat.

The Smiths are one of my favourite bands, and I love his lyrics from back then, but in my head he retired from music / being a celebrity in about 1990. Dead to me.

EDIT: The last quote on that list is great though
My name is Danny. Call me that.
Last edited by asator at Sep 9, 2010,
Quote by soccermom
who says the most oafish things

hehe oafish
Quote by Kumanji
How about you don't insult my friend's dead mum, you prick.

Quote by JDawg
Too be he had to be a dick about his crayons.
I love The Smiths but that just makes me facepalm.
What are you dense?
Are you retarded or something?
Who the hell do you think I am?
I'm the goddamn Batman.

April 19th, 2011: The Night of the Boob

I don't think he's a racist, he's an idiot who happened to say something racist.

His intent doesn't change the fact that what he said was offensive and racist.

Nor does that fact that he has written some amazing music make him exempt from common sense and decency.
Good Charlotte sounds like...uh...they sound like...um...well, they taste like a popsicle stick thats been shoved up someones ass -Eddie Vedder

REMEMBER DISCO: All stupid fads go away with time. STOP COMPLAINING
He sounds like a not-very-smart person who has no idea what he should or shouldn't say and whether someone's going to find it offensive.

And he sucks at music.
Is it still a God Complex if I really am God?

America is the only country that went from barbarism to decadence without civilization in between.
Oscar Wilde
Quote by asator
He's an attention seeking twat.

The Smiths are one of my favourite bands, and I love his lyrics from back then, but in my head he retired from music / being a celebrity in about 1990. Dead to me.

EDIT: The last quote on that list is great though

THIS.

Quote by Carmel
Lucky I'm a girl and I don't give a damn.

Quote by darkwolf291

I've seen her kill a man with a spork and a rubber band
No one is safe from the wrath of Batgirl!
He's like a shit Stewart Lee. Only in a different job. OK, on second thoughts, this sounded better in my head.
He's more of a twat than a racist, but he is both.

On an unrelated note, when I saw him in concert this t-shirt was on sale. They were untouched by the exiting Galway crowd.
Quote by Zero-Hartman
Damn you, bodyheatseeker

Quote by Paramore.
bodyheatseeker, I will NEVER forgive you.

Quote by Meths
He sounds like a not-very-smart person who has no idea what he should or shouldn't say and whether someone's going to find it offensive.

I don't think whether anyone would be offended ever even falls into his radar.

I changed my mind, I bet he is a racist, I mean considering this is the shit he says in public, imagine what he says in private.
Quote by Malakian88
Oh my bloody god. Imagine if you were a girl and you woke up to find your little brother's friend standing over you with his erect penis on your breasts...

Indeed.
I don't care.

__.-~~~~-.|___|___|__
_/********\_|___|___|
|*/**\**/**`~~~~~-.__
||****|**0*********@_
||****|***.********|_
\|****|***\*******/__
_\****/**/`~~~~~~`|__
_('--'""`)__|___|___|
Quote by Jesus
LedDaveZeppelin, You are so awesome.
I have been very vocal about my love of the Smiths here, I even wrote a lesson on Johnny Marr.

Morrissey is just an attention ***** who lives for controversy. I doubt he is actually racist.
Quote by soccermom
I changed my mind, I bet he is a racist, I mean considering this is the shit he says in public, imagine what he says in private.

I don't think Morrissey bothers acting any different in public than he does in private, so probably nothing worse.
That guy is a tit.
"If God exists, there's no way he is French" - Andrea Pirlo

S A D B O Y S
Quote by JacobTheMe
I have been very vocal about my love of the Smiths here, I even wrote a lesson on Johnny Marr.

ooh, is it on UG?

Morrisey just isn't very subtle with how he phrases things, in fact he's probably the exact opposite of subtle.
A racist who sings the same 4 notes in every song. I would like then Smiths if it wasn't for him.
If he had said that the chinese were a "Sub-Species" because of the color of their skin then it's racist...but he didn't.
He phrases things extraordinary stupid though.

But he's excused 'cos his hair was phenomenal in the 80's.
I love The Smiths, they will probably forever be my favourite band of all time and I see Morrissey as my favourite lyricist.
I just think he is a massive twat, i'm not sure if he's a racist but it wouldn't surprise me. Considering he is asexual and "hates people" as he puts it.
Racist? Probably not.

Friendless attention seeking twat? Definately.

1977 Burny FLG70
2004 EBMM JP6
2016 SE Holcolmb
I'm sorry, if calling over a billion people a "subspecies", because there are no animal rights enforced within a country, isn't racist, then what exactly is racist?

Subspecies is a sickening word to use
Quote by Rockstar12345
One does not simply walk onto a Chav's lawn
Quote by BobStinsonRules
If he had said that the chinese were a "Sub-Species" because of the color of their skin then it's racist...but he didn't.
He phrases things extraordinary stupid though.

But he's excused 'cos his hair was phenomenal in the 80's.

Nah man, I don't want to get into the semantics of the word racism, but racism isn't soley to do with skintone, calling the Irish lazy, calling the Jewish greedy etc that's all racism.

I just think he is a massive twat, i'm not sure if he's a racist but it wouldn't surprise me. Considering he is asexual and "hates people" as he puts it.

I don't think he is asexual, he used to hang out with a random skin who he was blatantly turd-buglaring, and he writes a lot about sex. 'Ask' is about bumming, and 'Reel Around The Fountain' is about him licking the bellend, and I'm not hyperanalyzing, it's from the horses mouth. I think whole asexual thing is a bit silly.
Quote by Malakian88

Indeed.
Last edited by soccermom at Sep 11, 2010,
I don't know about a racist, but he IS a ridiculous twat. I'd like for Morrissey to spend one day living as a Chinese peasant does, then he can bitch about animal rights. Also, being a diehard Cure fan like I am kinda requires a certain distaste for Morrissey :P .

That being said, I love the music of The Smiths despite all of that. Johnny Marr is a genius!
He's a freak of nature, but we love him so.

Quote by John Frusciante
Music isn't the Olympics. It's not about showing other people what you can do with a piece of wood in your hands that has strings on, it's about making sounds that are good.
Last edited by Spartan070sarge at Sep 11, 2010,
Well what he said was pretty racist...and if he honestly thinks that then yes, he is a racist
Beauty Supreme

Yeah you were right about me
yep what he said was racist, its hardly worth getting bothered by though.
✠ ☠ ✠
RIP Ronnie James Dio

Fendi Shoes is actually extremely advantageous.
Quote by Mechanixx
I'm sorry, if calling over a billion people a "subspecies", because there are no animal rights enforced within a country, isn't racist, then what exactly is racist?

Subspecies is a sickening word to use

Doesn't mean he is a racist. It was used in regards to Chinese legislators. He just pigeon-holed them as Chinese people.

That being said, he is an absolute cunt when it comes to politics. That applies to his rabid nationalism tendencies as well
| (• ◡•)| (❍ᴥ❍ʋ
Quote by Cianyx
Doesn't mean he is a racist. It was used in regards to Chinese legislators. He just pigeon-holed them as Chinese people.

That being said, he is an absolute cunt when it comes to politics. That applies to his rabid nationalism tendencies as well

No, I disagree, the direct quote is: "Did you see the thing on the news about their treatment of animals and animal welfare? Absolutely horrific. You can't help but feel that the Chinese are a subspecies." The way he phrased that to me sounds about as racist as you can get, it's exactly the same as saying: "Have you seen the way women are treated in the Arab world, you can't help but feel that the Arabs are a subspecies." or "Have you seen the way the environment is treated in Africa, you can't help but feel that Africans are a sub-species.", just replacing Animals and Chinese with different words. When you use a phrase like "You can't help but feel X are a subspecies." your in very dangerous territory.

And if you then add the fact that he is a rabid nationalist to the mix, his anti-immigration stance, and look at some of the other things he has said with regards to race over the years (e.g. "I don't really think, for instance, black people and white people will ever really get on or like each other.") you can only put two and two together really.
Quote by Rockstar12345
One does not simply walk onto a Chav's lawn
Last edited by Mechanixx at Sep 12, 2010,
Quote by Mechanixx

And if you then add the fact that he is a rabid nationalist to the mix, his anti-immigration stance, and look at some of the other things he has said with regards to race over the years (e.g. "I don't really think, for instance, black people and white people will ever really get on or like each other.") you can only put two and two together really.

This.

I wouldn't even take notice of the comment, as it's obviously flippant but because of his history you have to wonder. I find it quite uncomfortable really, because when I listened to his lyrics as a yoot, I like to think I related to him. And yes people say separate the artist from the politics, but The Smiths were such a personal band, the whole kick was from empathy towards his isolation, so it's hard to just ignore it. AND he is a British institution.

Quote by Zoot Allures
Lolno.

And why should he give a shit if what he says offends people?

Because at the end of the day he needs to sell records, and hipsters 'aint too big on their racism.
Quote by Malakian88

Indeed.
Last edited by soccermom at Sep 12, 2010,
It was quite an obvious spur of the moment comment which was made in the context of the Chinese legislation. Plus, even if it was directed to the Chinese people, it was clearly in regard of their stance on animal rights which is not a comment on their culture or race. He is a nationalist but he does not expound hate against other races. Rather, he argues for the protection of "British identity" through anti-immigration. About your quotation, that's him not understanding what racism means. That quote was him against multi-culturalism which ties in with his nationalistic views. He later goes on to say: "The French will never like the English. The English will never like the French." Some may rip me to shreds on this but I personally believe that there isn't much of a difference between the English and the French.

Just so you know, I'm not defending him but that comment was definitely not racist. He's a cunt, but more like a nationalist cunt
| (• ◡•)| (❍ᴥ❍ʋ
Last edited by Cianyx at Sep 12, 2010,
Quote by Cianyx
It was quite an obvious spur of the moment comment which was made in the context of the Chinese legislation. Plus, even if it was directed to the Chinese people, it was clearly in regard of their stance on animal rights which is not a comment on their culture or race. He is a nationalist but he does not expound hate against other races. Rather, he argues for the protection of "British identity" through anti-immigration. About your quotation, that's him not understanding what racism means. That quote was him against multi-culturalism which ties in with his nationalistic views. He later goes on to say: "The French will never like the English. The English will never like the French." Some may rip me to shreds on this but I personally believe that there isn't much of a difference between the English and the French.

Just so you know, I'm not defending him but that comment was definitely not racist. He's a cunt, but more like a nationalist cunt

Calling another ethnic group a subspecies is pretty damn racist.

Even though "subspecies" in a strictly biological sense isn't a racist classification. I doubt Morrissey is up on his taxonomy though.
Is it still a God Complex if I really am God?

America is the only country that went from barbarism to decadence without civilization in between.
Oscar Wilde
Last edited by Meths at Sep 12, 2010,
Without getting into a semantic argument over the intention of the choice word "subspecies" (and pretty much everything else in his statement), no, I don't think he's really racist; I just think he's a guy who loses his shit at the slightest hint of evidence that, in a broad sense, an ethnic group who just happen to be Chinese have predilections towards more utilitarian ideas about an animal's place in society as opposed to the more objectifying Western ideals. Does this put them in the right because a majority of those working with animals aren't immediately granted the luxury of bourgeois contemplation? No, but I don't think that bumps them down a notch on the sapien-scale.

Which means I could never, ever meet Morrisey and get him to like me. I'd be cracking a kicking-kittens joke in no time. Just because I prod sensitive people. Ugh.
I don't think it's racist to call the Chinese a subspecies, if they're so far behind the world in animal rights. They simply haven't developed as a society yet.
Quote by BrianApocalypse
I don't think it's racist to call the Chinese a subspecies, if they're so far behind the world in animal rights. They simply haven't developed as a society yet.

China's society is undeveloped?
Page 1 of 2