I wasn't gonna make this thread until I had the money, but I probably won't get the money if I don't. It's so much easier to save it if I know what I'm saving for.

I'm looking to completely upgrade my rig some time in the foreseeable future (next year/year and a half). I already know some stuff I'm going to get, but there's a very vital part missing.... the amp.

I haven't looked all that much into it yet admittedly. I've seen/heard a couple amps. I've tried a 6505 several times, but I wasn't too keen on it. I've also heard/seen several demo's of the Mesa Dual Rectifier. Unfortunately though, no where near me sells them, so I can't try one. Though from what I've heard of them, it is VERY nice.
But, I want to know if there is anything that would be better for me. I'm looking to play mainly thrash metal, though I need it to go as heavy as death metal, and as light as punk rock. I don't really have a budget, as I don't need it right away, and I'm more than willing to wait while I save the money to get it. That said, I don't really want to spend more than £4000 on the head and cab. It will be getting used for both gigs and bedroom use (bedroom some what less so).

I also need recommendations for cabs as well. When it comes to cabs, I know SFA. You can trust me, if I don't get some one to recommend me cabs, I'll just get the same type of cab as head, I don't know any better.

If it makes a difference to any thing, I'm going to be getting a cry baby 535q wah, and a TS-9 tubescreamer with it.
I am also looking to get a chorus pedal, so reccomendations for those would also be much appreciated.

After I get the amp and pedals, I will most likely also be buying an ESP FX, as my current guitar is rather cheap, and not good.

Many thanks for reading all of that, and your help is very much appreciated.
i own a mesa triple rec. and i absolutely love it. I've never really gone for a thrash tone so i don't know how it would sound, but i play in a death metal/ progressive metal band and it sounds perfect. I also a just for fun punk band with the drummer and it also does a very nice job. Its a great head, if you can afford it. i got lucky and snagged one for a grand ($). Beautiful cleans too. I much prefer this amp over the peavy's.
Quote by ClassicalDoom
i own a mesa triple rec. and i absolutely love it. I've never really gone for a thrash tone so i don't know how it would sound, but i play in a death metal/ progressive metal band and it sounds perfect. I also a just for fun punk band with the drummer and it also does a very nice job. Its a great head, if you can afford it. i got lucky and snagged one for a grand ($). Beautiful cleans too. I much prefer this amp over the peavy's.

I agree with all of this. And yes, my Triple Rec cleans are gorgeous, but they did take some time to dial in. You have to be very careful about the mids and treble on channel 1. And the amp can definitely do thrash.
Last edited by drewfromutah at Sep 9, 2010,
engl powerball, orange rockerverb, framus cobra
Ibanez rg770
Washburn x50proq
Ibanez rg7621
peavey 6505 plus combo
Boss Ge 7
vox satchurator
Cae mc404 wah
Quote by Windwaker
Might wanna check out Orange's amps as an alternative to the Mesas. Definitely a different style, the distortion tends to be much more articulate even with huge amounts of gain. Just want to make sure you consider all your possibilities before investing.

I agree. Rockerverbs are nasty delicious.
Thanks for the input guys, it's much appreciated.
I have a question about the Orange Rockverb you've been recommending though. Are they much different from other Oranges, as I've not been too keen on the other Oranges I've seen. That said, the others I've seen were by no means high end ones, but I was in no way impressed with them.
Quote by robhc
Thanks for the input guys, it's much appreciated.
I have a question about the Orange Rockverb you've been recommending though. Are they much different from other Oranges, as I've not been too keen on the other Oranges I've seen. That said, the others I've seen were by no means high end ones, but I was in no way impressed with them.

If you don't like Orange tone in general, you probably won't like the 'verbs. But I'd recommend trying one just in case.
Uhm, I know you said you'd liek a Triple Rectifier, but the Bugera 333xl is basically the same thing. And it's a VERY versatile amp. You'll be able to get ANY sound you want out of it. Trust me on that. I LOVE mine, and it sounds great LOUD(did I say loud? ) and on low volume levels as well.

And it's cheap, it's a $550 guitar head.

I've read countless reviews about how people love their 333xl over any other amp they've ever played(yes 20 year veteran's who have been using Marshall's all their life as well)

also Bugera 6262, another great amp, I was torn between buying that over the 333xl, but I'm happy with my choice.

Just don't forget about Bugera, they make GREAT amps. Don't worry about the problems you MIGHT get with them. All of them are quick fixes, and it won't cost you any extra to do anything to fix them.

EDIT*

Oh and to add, i'm dissing the Triple Rectifier by any means. Engl Powerball/Fireball's are great to.

My thought is just, Why pay more when you can get something JUST as good for less than half of those other amps.

just a thought
Last edited by andrew.whocares at Sep 9, 2010,
Splawn Nitro? or maybe even Quickrod? that would be worth looking into.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
Quote by andrew.whocares
Uhm, I know you said you'd liek a Triple Rectifier, but the Bugera 333xl is basically the same thing. And it's a VERY versatile amp. You'll be able to get ANY sound you want out of it. Trust me on that. I LOVE mine, and it sounds great LOUD(did I say loud? ) and on low volume levels as well.

I've read countless reviews about how people love their 333xl over any other amp they've ever played(yes 20 year veteran's who have been using Marshall's all their life as well)

also Bugera 6262, another great amp, I was torn between buying that over the 333xl, but I'm happy with my choice.

Just don't forget about Bugera, they make GREAT amps. Don't worry about the problems you MIGHT get with them. All of them are quick fixes, and it won't cost you any extra to do anything to fix them.

First, the 333XL has NOTHING to do with the Rectifier amps. It's based on the Peavey JSX which has a very different voicing. Secondly, you can do better than the JSX or Triple Recto, and do MUCH, MUCH better than the 333XL on a 4K budget.

It's between the Diezel Herbert, ENGL SE and maybe the Soldano SLO IMO. You could also look at the Mesa Road King and Mark V, or maybe even a Dual Channel Rectifier or the 2010 Recto... I'd also recommend checking out the Framus Cobra.
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
What the hell is a G&L.

Quote by Flux'D
Gay & Lesbian I think, the box smelled funny
Greg what did you send me??
Last edited by Raijouta at Sep 10, 2010,
Quote by andrew.whocares

EDIT*

Oh and to add, i'm dissing the Triple Rectifier by any means. Engl Powerball/Fireball's are great to.

My thought is just, Why pay more when you can get something JUST as good for less than half of those other amps.

just a thought

Where do you live? I need an address so I can send that box full of bull shit back to your house. With an extra surprise underneath. What surprise you ask? I guess you'll just have to wait and see.

PS: It's a kitten. A dead one.
E-peen:
Rhodes Gemini
Fryette Ultra Lead
Peavey 6505
THD Flexi 50

Gibson R0 Prototype
EBMM JP13 Rosewood
Fender CS Mary Kaye

WTLT

(512) Audio Engineering - Custom Pedal Builds, Mods and Repairs
Thank-you very much for the input guys. Unfortunately, the shops near me don't stock that much high end stuff, so I'm gonna have to look up youtube etc. to hear them, but I will look them up as soon as I can pay for more internet (tomorrow probably)

Does any body have any recommendations on cabs or chorus pedals?
Quote by andrew.whocares
Uhm, I know you said you'd liek a Triple Rectifier, but the Bugera 333xl is basically the same thing.
What the hell?!

How did you come to that conclusion?
Gear:
- Bugera 333
- VJ & VJ cab
- Jackson JS30
- TS9

Bugera Users Militia. We are horrible people. With a sprinkler fetish.
~ BUM: For all things extinguishing

Rackmount Tube Amp Project <<< Updates!
Don't compromise, unless its an Axe FX ultra
No ego-inflating quotes nor stupidly long signatures to be found here.

Move along.

Bands/Artists of the month; Marco Sfogli, Marco Sfogli and Marco Sfogli .

Quote by steve_muse
^lol'd at the sig, adj209
if you want an ENGL, get the savage, or the blackmore (its built with the savage technologie)
Mesa Boogie are all good. just get one with a tone you like
the less known, but very good Diezels (very expensive > less known). High end oranges are also good.

with that budget (more than $6000) you are not really limited by anything. If you want to, you can even get a Preamp, Tubehead/Poweramp, and a cabinet.

For the chorus, go with the TC Electronic SCF (stereo, chorus and flanger) Its really really good (probably the best one).

and for a cab, yeah, i'm not really knowledged in that area, but mesa's are good. so.......

(and check my thread (right here in the GGA forum) on wahs for high gain, maybe its usefull)

edit:
i totally forgot about bugeras. really good as well. but like i said, $6000 is not really a limitation.
Thanks guys.

After looking into those amps you recommended, I think I'm going definitely go with a Dual Rectifier. It was very, very close between that, the Mark V and the Framus Cobra.

I still need recommendations for a cab. Otherwise I'll probably just go for a rectifier cab as well.

Thank-you all very much.