jackson http://www.guitarcenter.com/Jackson-DKMG-Dinky-Electric-Guitar-with-EMGs-868325-i1449272.gc

esp http://www.guitarcenter.com/ESP-LTD-MH-1000-FR-With-EMG-Pickups-758222-i1175986.gc

Hey guys, i've saved up a little bit of money and feel like blowing it on something. So i've been lookin around and i like what these 2 guitars have to offer, mainly the EMG's and metal brootals standard. not crazy about FR but whatever. I play mostly (insert stupid sub genre)core

I understand the feel of the guitar is the most important factor, but having never played either, im wondering what ur guys' opinion is on both these guitars. Which guitar would you pick and why? Mainly, which has a better quality standard?
The ESP/LTD
for 2 resons
i personally think ESP is just the better company
and the trem on the ESP (i think) will be nicer.

i think you may be happier with the EC-1000 instead of the MH, but thats just me, i dont really like trems that much.
Survivor of:
Maryland Deathfest X
Maryland Deathfest XI
Maryland Deathfest XII
inb4 spend it on a amp.

I'd recommend the LTD. Imo it looks more brootal. And just to let you know, from my experiences, GC doesn't have the MH-1000FR in store, so you won't be able to try it. I don't know if they have the DKMG, but back to the topic.

The biggest difference between the two is the wood. The Jackson has an Alder body, and the LTD has a mahogany body. Along with that, the Jackson has their own Licensed Floyd Rose, I don't know how reliable it is, but the ESP has a FR 1000, which I believe is on par with the original. I think they're made to the exact same specifications, same metal and everything, the only difference is that they're made somewhere in Asia.

Read up here to see what you're getting into with the woods.
Last edited by Aturaya at Sep 9, 2010,
If you don't NEED a trem I recommend not getting a guitar with one.

that being said sticking with LTD and Jackson look into these instead:

http://www.guitarcenter.com/Jackson-SLSMG-Super-Lightweight-Soloist-Electric-Guitar-868335-i1445402.gc

http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/ESP-LTD-Deluxe-H1001FM-Electric-Guitar?sku=584484
Quote by rushpython
The ESP/LTD
for 2 resons
i personally think ESP is just the better company
and the trem on the ESP (i think) will be nicer.

i think you may be happier with the EC-1000 instead of the MH, but thats just me, i dont really like trems that much.

+1
If you don't need a trem on your guitar, why pay extra for it and have the nuisance of tuning and set ups and all that?
And the EC's look reeeeeaally nice, especially in red.
i guess im not totally against spending money on an amp. The guitar i have right now is an Ibanez S520ex stock everything and the amp im using is a 50w line6 spider 112. its pretty freakin old. i just played a peavey 6505 112combo at GC and i loved the sound, its just way to loud for my house and im not really keen on buying an attenuator just to play in my bedroom.
Quote by DrMom9900
i guess im not totally against spending money on an amp. The guitar i have right now is an Ibanez S520ex stock everything and the amp im using is a 50w line6 spider 112. its pretty freakin old. i just played a peavey 6505 112combo at GC and i loved the sound, its just way to loud for my house and im not really keen on buying an attenuator just to play in my bedroom.

There's nothing wrong with using a Spider, ESPECIALLY if you're just playing in your bedroom. If you're not happy with the spider there may be some low wattage tube amps that you can throw an OD pedal in front of to get a good heavy tone out of (e.g. Blackstar HT-5 Series 5W 1x10 Tube Guitar Combo Amp)
u guys r opening my eyes to all these other sweet ass guitars. \m/

yes, that EC does look reallly really nice.

edit: after looking at em more, i dont think i like the bigger body style of the EC's. but thats looking at pictures.
Last edited by DrMom9900 at Sep 9, 2010,
Quote by DrMom9900
u guys r opening my eyes to all these other sweet ass guitars. \m/

yes, that EC does look reallly really nice.

edit: after looking at em more, i dont think i like the bigger body style of the EC's. but thats looking at pictures.

the LTD H-1001 is pretty much exactly the same as the MH1001 FR that you posted. The only real difference is that the H doesn't have the FR (unless you order the one with the FR haha) and has a different headstock. If you don't like the EC body then go for the H-1001, it's truly a great guitar! (if you can try it out then I recommend doing that because everyone has their preferences)

Of course there are a lot of other metal guitars that you might be interested in as well such as Schecter's (C-1 Hellraisers or BlackJack ATX's might be up your alley), Ibanez's (although most have trems) and many more
Last edited by AkiraSpectrum at Sep 9, 2010,
Quote by AkiraSpectrum
There's nothing wrong with using a Spider, ESPECIALLY if you're just playing in your bedroom. If you're not happy with the spider there may be some low wattage tube amps that you can throw an OD pedal in front of to get a good heavy tone out of (e.g. Blackstar HT-5 Series 5W 1x10 Tube Guitar Combo Amp)

Everything is wrong with the spider. Its sound is horrible on any of the channels.

Get a hellraiser or a blackjack atx from shecter. For amps, you should get a bugera v22 and a distortion pedal.
HILT!

Where's Waldo?

Quote by OliOsbourne
Everything is wrong with the spider. Its sound is horrible on any of the channels.

Get a hellraiser or a blackjack atx from shecter. For amps, you should get a bugera v22 and a distortion pedal.

I've heard some fine tones from the spider series amplifiers. Tone is subjective and for some bands the spider modelling really works for them. In general however, a lot of people wouldn't hate the spider so much if they spent time sufficient EQ'ing it. I've gotten some good tones out of a Spider 3 and 4 (can't speak for 1 and 2 though). Are spider amplifiers 'great quality amps with great quality sound?' probably not but they are still usable for many situations.
Quote by AkiraSpectrum
I've heard some fine tones from the spider series amplifiers. Tone is subjective and for some bands the spider modelling really works for them. In general however, a lot of people wouldn't hate the spider so much if they spent time sufficient EQ'ing it. I've gotten some good tones out of a Spider 3 and 4 (can't speak for 1 and 2 though). Are spider amplifiers 'great quality amps with great quality sound?' probably not but they are still usable for many situations.

This. Provided TS doesn't do dimed treble and bass with no mids, it won't be horrible. If you EQ it a bit, it sounds passable. Get off the bandwagon, please?

OT: +1 for Schecter. I played a Tempest and it was nice all around.
Quote by BobDetroit
Directions:
Unplug keyboard.
Place it in your butt so you can't post anymore.

Quote by Fadetoblack5:03
You deserve some form of awesome reward, but I'm to lazy. Imagine the rest of these:

Quote by AkiraSpectrum

It's not such a bad practice amp but there are far better ones than the spider. I try to get a good tone out of it but I'm never satisfied with mine.
HILT!

Where's Waldo?

You can always go for the MH-1000 NT if you don't want the FR. They only make them in blue now, but you might be able to get one in a nice finish (like mine) on eBay or something.
buy the esp!
i have the esp ltd mh-1000fr... and i think it's the best guitar i've ever played...
i'm playing now for over 5 years and have tested sooo many guitars...
but no guitar has beaten mine =P
The SLSMG blows any ltd out of the water. And it doesn't have the ugly abalone binding. I always found ltd dull and lifeless guitars. I didn't had that feeling with the higher end pro series Jackson makes.

And i would also recommend you not to buy a floyd equipped guitar if you're not keen on them. They're hard to tune, setup and maintain. If you don't need one, don't get one!!!

@ the guy recommending schecter: The hellraiser is practically the same as the ltd, but with a different neck profile. Just as dull and lifeless if you ask me.

(this is just an opinion)
Hufschmid
Blackat
Washburn USA Custom Shop
PRS
Mayones
Orange
Diezel
Engl
Last edited by LP_CL at Sep 10, 2010,
Quote by LP_CL
The SLSMG blows any ltd out of the water. And it doesn't have the ugly abalone binding. I always found ltd dull and lifeless guitars. I didn't had that feeling with the higher end pro series Jackson makes.

And i would also recommend you not to buy a floyd equipped guitar if you're not keen on them. They're hard to tune, setup and maintain. If you don't need one, don't get one!!!

@ the guy recommending schecter: The hellraiser is practically the same as the ltd, but with a different neck profile. Just as dull and lifeless if you ask me.

(this is just an opinion)

+1

the SLSMG is a really good guitar for the price you pay.
Gear:

-Gibson Les Paul 2008 standard
-MIA Fender sunburst
-Orange Rockerverb C
-Peavey Valveking 212
-Roland 30x
-Line 6 pod x3
I personally would go with jackson. Their high end stuff just feels perfect to me, and nothing else has come close. At just above that price range, i'd be looking at a used SL1, SL2, or if you want new, a non-usa SL2 like this one .
Jackson all the way, they're quality is amazing for their prices.
I NEED TO CHANGE MY USERNAME

• Agile AL-3XXX Custom Tobacco Sunburst w/ EMG 57/66
  • ESP LTD EC-1000T CTM Black w/ Seymour Duncan Blackouts
  • Jet City JCA100HDM w/ Avatar Contemporary 2x12 Cab
  • Seymour Duncan 805 Overdrive
  • Dunlop OG Crybaby Wah
  • MXR Smartgate