Page 1 of 2
I, like most beginners, are wanting to learn some solos, I know the solo to Ain't Talkin' 'Bout Love and I can play it in time pretty well, I would like to learn something along the lines of Led Zeppelin, something simple by Dream Theater, something also simple by Megadeth (Unlikely), or something by The Sword maybe, I dunno, just something fairly easy but not too easy

NOTE: I am more of a beginner/intermediate, I have been playing for about a year
Led Zeppelin?
Stairway to heaven is easy.
Dream Theater, Wither, so easy. Or goodbye kiss by dream theater
I've been playing for about a year as well

I suppose the solos in Hangar 18 aren't too hard. There's a lot of them but they're allright. First solo I learned was the solo from Enter Sandman, it's some basic pentatonic stuff with wah so that's a good solo to learn. Maybe some Randy Rhoads solos? Crazy train?

Have a look at some Iron Maiden solos as well. Most of them are quite easy, especially Dave Murray solos.
Quote by piszczel

I suppose the solos in Hangar 18 aren't too hard. There's a lot of them but they're allright. First solo I learned was the solo from Enter Sandman, it's some basic pentatonic stuff with wah so that's a good solo to learn. Maybe some Randy Rhoads solos? Crazy train?

Have a look at some Iron Maiden solos as well. Most of them are quite easy, especially Dave Murray solos.
Hangar 18 may be a little too crazy, I'll look into a few simpler Maiden solos too.

to the other guy, Wither and Goodnight Kiss sound great
Quote by Ironic Maiden
Hangar 18 may be a little too crazy, I'll look into a few simpler Maiden solos too.

to the other guy, Wither and Goodnight Kiss sound great

Well the only real challange Hangar 18 solos pose is sweeping, but it has really simple sweeps. I guess if you can't sweep then that might be a problem lol

If you want quite a simple solo, Fade to Black is a good one. It's not too fast, not too slow, flows nicely and it's fun to play.
Quote by piszczel
Well the only real challange Hangar 18 solos pose is sweeping, but it has really simple sweeps. I guess if you can't sweep then that might be a problem lol

If you want quite a simple solo, Fade to Black is a good one. It's not too fast, not too slow, flows nicely and it's fun to play.
Yeah I can't sweep that well at all yet

Not much of a Metallica fan but I'll consider it
My first solo was Phantom of the Opera by Iron Maiden. I can play it, but I just gotta work on the legato a bit. Symphony of Destruction isn't too bad also.
Well take a solo that's at your current skill level and see if you can master it. Choose one from a song you like, get a tab or something for it and give it a go! If you can't do it you could always work on separate bits of it, which will improve your technique.
Quote by GilbertsPinky
Well take a solo that's at your current skill level and see if you can master it. Choose one from a song you like, get a tab or something for it and give it a go! If you can't do it you could always work on separate bits of it, which will improve your technique.
But that is why I made this thread, I don't know any solos by my bands that would be good for my skill level, I mean I can play Aint Talkin Bout Love's solo but that is the hardest I can play.

I would love to learn something simple by DT like Wither or something, but I want a few more options
but one of the first metal solos I played was sinergy's "laid to rest".
pretty easy with some nice tapping, and cool harmonics
check out these guitar lessons
Last edited by kurtdaniel1 at Sep 13, 2010,
Quote by piszczel

Post video/audio of you playing Hangar 18 solos.
Okay, maybe not really "metal" solos, but I believe AC/DC has some pretty good solos to begin with, ckeck out the solo to TNT or maybe Highway to Hell.
Also I second Fade to Black (the intro solo), as it was the first solo I learned

//Muffinz
You'll Never Walk Alone!
Quote by Calibos
Post video/audio of you playing Hangar 18 solos.

Once I learn them all I will haha!
I actually wanted to learn the whole song about a week ago. I got up to the 2nd solo and got bored. I don't find it challanging to play, the only difficulty I have is to remember all the notes, and this is a major obstacle for me because I can play fast and sweep but I can't remember the notes. When I was learning how to play Holy Wars (which took me about a month haha) I partially improvised Dave's solo because it's too much stuff to remember!

That being said, I put some effort in today and learned Randy's solo from Crazy Train today. Still having issues remembering the notes but should nail it tomorrow.
If u play a few arpeggios decently, challenge yourselves with these: -Tornado of Souls (Megadeth)..this is a bit tough...but not as tough as ppl say
Heres some guitar lessons for beginners for you to check.
Last edited by john_rossdale at Sep 13, 2010,
To be honest, starting off in those bands isn't always a good idea. I have been playing for a year and a half now and I still can't do Megadeth. Ummm...starting in metal is generally a bad idea in my experience. Solos I would recomend that are fun to play are enter sandman's or master of puppets. Dave Mustaine was in that band so it should be a good transition and then work your way to Megadeth. I personally think Megadeth's harder.
R.I.P: Randy Rhoads and The Reverand Sullivan.
Quote by xxrandyrhoadsxx
To be honest, starting off in those bands isn't always a good idea. I have been playing for a year and a half now and I still can't do Megadeth. Ummm...starting in metal is generally a bad idea in my experience. Solos I would recomend that are fun to play are enter sandman's or master of puppets. Dave Mustaine was in that band so it should be a good transition and then work your way to Megadeth. I personally think Megadeth's harder.

Mustaine style is more Ride the Lightning and Kill 'Em All. Master of Puppets onward was pure Kirk.

If you break them down, a lot of Iron Maiden/Ozzy solos are great to work on to start off soloing. Run to the Hills and Crazy Train are challenging, but not actually particularly difficult as far as metal solos go.
Quote by xxrandyrhoadsxx

If you've been playing for a year and a half and still can't approach Megadeth I'd suggest you start challanging yourself because clearly you're not. Megadeth isn't even that hard to play brah
Sabaton - Primo Victoria

Sodom - M16 (thrash)
Blackstar HT5 Combo
Jackson RR24
Epiphone Annihilation V red

Loving guitar playing since;June'09
Quote by piszczel
If you've been playing for a year and a half and still can't approach Megadeth I'd suggest you start challanging yourself because clearly you're not. Megadeth isn't even that hard to play brah

well lets hear your attempts at some maiden.
Quote by SunDrop
well lets hear your attempts at some maiden.

Actually I'll learn how to play all the solos from Hangar 18 and post a vid soon.

I've got some vids of my playing on youtube if you want but they're nothing terrific lol
Quote by piszczel

You are being an arrogant ass, just saying.
Quote by DavidBenyamin
You are being an arrogant ass, just saying.

I'm trying to open his eyes. There's A LOT of players out there who don't progress as quickly as they could simply because they don't challange themselves, and then they wonder why they can't play something after x years of playing, after all they put the time in blah blah.
It's not metal, but you could learn the solos for some Rush songs.

Closer to the Heart has an easy-intermediate solo
Subdivisions has an extremely easy solo.
Working Man has a challenging solo but you'll feel like you've accomplished something after learning it. Also, really fun song to play.

I could tell you YYZ but you'd want to kill me.

Other suggestions?
Any Rhapsody of Fire, Warmen, Dragonforce, Kamelot, Dethklok, etc.
2112 Part I - Overture has a very simply but amazing solo =)

Master of Puppets has some easy solos, although the second might give you some trouble at first (it's pretty simple and mostly pulloffs on one string I find).
Ones I started da shred with were

Trooper by Iron Maiden
Adrian Smiths solo was the coolest thing for me, it has pretty much only one uber fast part and most of it is pretty simple licks. Also Dave Murrays solo is easy and memorable, it just has some freaking ridiculously fast hammer on pull off licks.

Enter Sandman by Metallica
Still remember when I first was able to play it with the record, kicked so much balls Again very basic, a lot of those you-have-to-know-this-one licks, nothing mindblowing. Downside is its kinda long so it takes a while to remember everything in it.

Sweet Child O' Mine by Guns N' Roses
From the intro riff, trough the mid verse slower ones to the main guitar solo and the endings huge shreds. Very worth the trouble learning Slash's parts of the song; sounds great, again goes with the very basic rock cliche licks, has some very difficult licks too and some very cool picking patterns. Still like playing it, and I believe its one of the greatest songs for any type of guitarist. It seriously helps your general soloing, mastering the Slash stuff from this song.

And then of course Crazy train and Mr. Crowley by Ozzy.
Anything Randy Rhoads is great, good practise for picking, tapping ja hammer on pull offs. Neoclassical twist is allways nice imo. Learn Crazy Train at least.

Play with backing tracks!!!! Theres a bass + drum + guitar for solo parts backing track for all of these songs in youtube, it helps a ton to be able to play the only guitar track to a song. Makes you feel really cool when you can play those to your friends too. Also helps playing in a band later on.

My tip for practising solos by other guitarists: Learn the most memorable parts first. Like the ones you remember allready, melodies that you can think trough in your head. You dont need to be able to play the solo note to note at first. If you can play the memorable licks of the solo well enough to people recognize what your doing, the notes in between dont matter in the beginning. When you can do the main licks, start working on the passages in between those and all of a sudden you have the whole solo memorized and soon mastered.
Practise makes perfect. A lot of practise.
Quote by nightwindelf88
It's not metal, but you could learn the solos for some Rush songs.

Closer to the Heart has an easy-intermediate solo
Subdivisions has an extremely easy solo.
Working Man has a challenging solo but you'll feel like you've accomplished something after learning it. Also, really fun song to play.

I could tell you YYZ but you'd want to kill me.

Other suggestions?
Any Rhapsody of Fire, Warmen, Dragonforce, Kamelot, Dethklok, etc.
I love Rush! I could probably get into them more though, I usually skip them on my Pandora page because they usually pop up on my Dream Theater channel xD

@ Satanblaster: Those are all really good too, I think I will try the Trooper at least some point in time, that seems to be on of the crowd favorites
I'm not a huge Pantera fan but "Cemetery Gates" is cake. Plus the beginning riff is awesome.
Quote by piszczel

I've been playing just over 2 years at about 4 hours daily and i still cannot nail all the Hangar 18 solos note for note in time. I think most of us doubt that someone who has been playing a year can play those solos... I don't know why people recommend Enter Sandman as an easy solo either, the fast double bends and general pacing makes it difficult to do it in time AND cleanly. Im not calling the above poster a liar, but until a video is shown of him playing the Hangar 18 solos perfectly, i won't believe it. Its alot like those people that claim they can play Master of Puppets after 8 months only to play it out of time and tune AND with string noise everywhere.

Some easy metal solos:

She Wolf by Megadeth, nice and slow with some cool legato, very melodic

Fade to Black intro solo, sounds good, some legato, some easy sweeping

Knockin of Heaven's door first solo by Guns N' Roses, nice bends and pull offs, has vibrato, easy to get good with

Don't Cry by Guns N' Roses solo, really cool one. Break it up into sections, with time you'll get it

Welcome home Sanitarium intro solo by Metallica.

Orion solo by Metallica, relatively easy once you have your legato down and can play at a decent speed, no insanely hard bits.

Dreamer by Ozzy Osbourne(played by Zakk Wylde), nice smooth solo, simple and melodic

Nothing Else Matters by Metallica

All these solos are pretty inviting for a guy that has been playing just over a year with no insane hard bits anywhere in them. Can't believe Hangar 18 was recommended, really..
Quote by Megadeth09
I've been playing just over 2 years at about 4 hours daily and i still cannot nail all the Hangar 18 solos note for note in time. I think most of us doubt that someone who has been playing a year can play those solos... I don't know why people recommend Enter Sandman as an easy solo either, the fast double bends and general pacing makes it difficult to do it in time AND cleanly. Im not calling the above poster a liar, but until a video is shown of him playing the Hangar 18 solos perfectly, i won't believe it. Its alot like those people that claim they can play Master of Puppets after 8 months only to play it out of time and tune AND with string noise everywhere.

All these solos are pretty inviting for a guy that has been playing just over a year with no insane hard bits anywhere in them. Can't believe Hangar 18 was recommended, really..

I'm halfway through the solos at the moment. When I learn them all I will post a vid. Should take me about a week and a half, up to two weeks to learn them all and perfect them.

The solos in Hangar 18 are not that hard, honestly. Compared to most of Friedmans solos they're quite easy. I'm not saying they're easy. It's just that most people on this website don't challange themselves nearly enough. I mean I started learning Eugene's Trick Bag about 6 months after I started playing guitar. Granted, I still can't play it up to speed, but it improved my sweep picking and accuracy a lot.

Anyways, I will prove all of you wrong and will post a vid of me playing the solos from Hangar 18 as soon as I learn them.
Quote by piszczel
I'm halfway through the solos at the moment. When I learn them all I will post a vid. Should take me about a week and a half, up to two weeks to learn them all and perfect them.

The solos in Hangar 18 are not that hard, honestly. Compared to most of Friedmans solos they're quite easy. I'm not saying they're easy. It's just that most people on this website don't challange themselves nearly enough. I mean I started learning Eugene's Trick Bag about 6 months after I started playing guitar. Granted, I still can't play it up to speed, but it improved my sweep picking and accuracy a lot.

Anyways, I will prove all of you wrong and will post a vid of me playing the solos from Hangar 18 as soon as I learn them.

We look forward to seeing you play them. Really we do. But if they are out of time, missing notes and/or arn't clean, you will hear about it. If you can play them though i'l be the first to compliment you.
Quote by Megadeth09
We look forward to seeing you play them. Really we do. But if they are out of time, missing notes and/or arn't clean, you will hear about it. If you can play them though i'l be the first to compliment you.

Actually the biggest problem I'm having so far is Friedman's phrasing. He likes the slow bends, and it's quite hard to get them right. That being said I'm only halfway through and the second half of the song sounds a lot harder haha
Page 1 of 2