Hey everyone,

I'd like to get some thoughts on different ways to go about stringing a classical guitar. I have a method that kinda works for me right now, but my high e has a tendency to slip a few times before I can get it to tune up. I've tried a few different creative ways to tie the string down at the bridge, but I'd like some more ideas. What do you think?
They certainly take more effort and require more tuning the first couple of days after restringing than a steel string guitar.

Personally I go with the twist method described in neb9's link. Never failed me yet and I haven't noticed any "slipping" either. Not that it should be a problem, just crank that thang as much as is necessary.
Quote by neb9
You have to tune a classical guitar all the time. That's just the nature of nylon strings.

I do know that. You see, I'm a classical music composition major, with an emphasis in guitar. I have been playing classical guitar for years now, but due to the fact that I taught myself, I've always just dealt with the slipping I described in my first post. Never really occurred to me that there might be a better way, because nobody had ever told me before. When I got to college, I finally took my first private lesson, at which point my teacher pointed out how a guitar as nice as mine should not have that much slippage occurring (my classical guitar cost around $1,200, so, yeah... he's right).

I'll take a look at that link you sent me. The reason for posting is that fact that my strings (all of them, not just the basses) are due for a change soon, so here's to a more productive restringing session!

Oh, and for anyone wondering how I managed to get into college having just taught myself how to play: I was pretty damn shocked too. I basically spent half a year digging into a Bach piece for my audition (Gigue from Lute Suite II), and that was apparently enough. Of course, once I took my first lesson, there were several technical things my teacher had to correct.
Quote by XianXiuHong
If you have a poorly strung or constructed guitar, then yes.

We'll just have to disagree on this point.
Quote by neb9
We'll just have to disagree on this point.

I have to agree with neb9 here. Nylon strings do tend to need quite a bit more tuning than steel strings in the beginning. Of course, the quality of the strings makes a big difference too, but it seems like all my acquaintances go through a stage of complaining about their guitars going out of tune every time they restring. It's just part of life for a classical guitarist.
Quote by stwstl5926
I have to agree with neb9 here. Nylon strings do tend to need quite a bit more tuning than steel strings in the beginning. Of course, the quality of the strings makes a big difference too, but it seems like all my acquaintances go through a stage of complaining about their guitars going out of tune every time they restring. It's just part of life for a classical guitarist.

Well, I agree with having to tune back up heaps in the beginning but once you're past that first 2 days or so, you should be fine with tuning. I thought neb9 was speaking about nylon strings constantly needing tuning even after a couple days after re stringing. No hard feelings, yeah?
Quote by XianXiuHong
Well, I agree with having to tune back up heaps in the beginning but once you're past that first 2 days or so, you should be fine with tuning. I thought neb9 was speaking about nylon strings constantly needing tuning even after a couple days after re stringing. No hard feelings, yeah?

Now that much is true. Mine sometimes holds its tuning after a day if I'm lucky (or if I just play the hell out of it the first day). So yes, your thoughts are correct then.