Alright so after playing guitar for about 5 years, I'm considering taking lessons. I want to get better at writing and I think this might be able to help me. The thing is one of my buds told me

"just start by learning all your favorite songs on guitar, except don't use tabs. Try your best to learn every song on your own from now on and your writing will get a lot better."

Now I don't know if I should start lessons or not. I'm definitely going to take my friends advice but I'm a little iffy on the lessons. Let me hear your opinions on it.
I want to go as far to the edge without going over. Out on the edge, you can see all kinds of different things.
Last edited by chrismetal86 at Sep 9, 2010,
its your choice. if you really want to get better then yeah a teacher will help you get there but personally i like being able to tell people that i taught myself to play everything i know but i dont really care for technical stuff. its your call
I think you should go with a teacher. Yes, your writing will get better on it's own, over time, but having someone with lots of experience coach you will give you a big boost.
i think it'd be good to get a teacher if you like appearing educated when jamming with others, but songwriting is, by nature, something you develop on your own.
Quote by archerygenious
Jesus Christ since when is the Pit a ****ing courtroom...

Like melodic, black, death, symphonic, and/or avant-garde metal? Want to collaborate? Message me!
Quote by vIsIbleNoIsE
i think it'd be good to get a teacher if you like appearing educated when jamming with others, but songwriting is, by nature, something you develop on your own.

That's another thing I've always wanted to get better at... Jamming. I don't think my jamming has improved since the first day I tried it....
I want to go as far to the edge without going over. Out on the edge, you can see all kinds of different things.
it depends on your teacher, some are just better at coaching you to learn a song or a technique rather than having extensive knowledge of songwriting

Having a teacher will definately help, but I'd suggest learning songs and studying their structures and such in the meantime
Take guitar lessons, expands your musical knowledge so much, and don't get some teacher that plays in a couple local bands. I know i guy like that, who started teaching my drummer lamb of god on his first guitar lesson.
Head to the musician talk forum, they should be able to help. Even if you don't want to personally attend lessons you should be researching a ton of musical theory which is always relevant to songwriting and music in general.
lol guitar
if you can get a teacher that knows a lot about theory that will certainly help.
be warned though, I'm sure you're great after 5 years, and you've developed your own style, so be prepared to be told by your teach that you're doing everything wrong