My band got its first gigging opportunity recently. We were asked to play at a going away party in December. I've used a 120W 2x12 Crate since I started playing, but the more we play together as a band, I'm worried that the volume is lacking. Right now I have my amp and pedal both at about 3 o'clock. It's already causing loss of tone and any louder my tone goes to sh*t. Even with my amp at these levels I'm overpowered by the bass and sometimes drums.

Of course, I'm broke and don't think I can afford a bigger amp right now unless I get a really good deal. I was thinking of maybe going for a Crate FlexWave half stack if I can find a cheap or used one on eBay or Craigslist. Do I have any other options here like rental or something like that? I have till December to figure something out, but my job was only here for the summer so I have no income and would like to save the money I have for gas and such.
Rock On

Quote by Shard Heilia
Nothing. Is Better. Than Guitar.

I Receive Nourishment From My Amplifier. Food Is For The Weak.

Quote by Thrace
Listen to Machine Head, you'll want to headbutt someone right in their pussy.
First thing - what's your EQ like? It's a typical question here, but worth asking because if you've EQ'd it a certain way you might can solve the problem with no money at all.
i don't have anything great about the flexwaves to be honest, but i haven't heard a ton of them though, the one advantage you have is plenty of time.

i have seen some awesome things come on craigslist, i once found a function dual rec for $400. damn i wish i had the cash then.

just wait until the right thing comes along and post about it if you aren't sure, post about it.

you have like 2.5 months so wait, CL has some great deals if you look hard enough.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
120 watts should be fine for volume.

My guess is that your tone is changing as you increase volume. Even out your EQ at higher volumes, especially if you scoop your mids. ex. if you normall play t-8 m-3 b-8, try t-6 m-4 b-6
Alvarez dreadnought
Gibson SG
EC-1000
Homemade Strat (seymour duncan classic stack p/ups)
Vox Tonelab (original desktop model) with full board footswitch
Vox AD50
A 120 Watt 2X12? That should easily be enough power to operate in pretty much any club situation. MORE than enough even.

First: What sort of room are you practicing in? That can have a huge impact on not only tone, but volume. If you're playing in a garage or basement with lots of clutter or hard surfaces, your volume can be damped or bounced around so it seems much quieter. More likely than not, you'll find yourself easily able to hear yourself once you get into an open room.

Second: How loud is the rest of your band? Good luck getting a drummer to play quieter, but how loud is the bass player or other guitar player (if you have one). Nobody should have to crank a 2X12 up to 3 o'clock in a rehearsal scenario, see if you can get them to turn down and that may fix your problem. Volume wars are the worst.
is that a 120w crate solid state or tube amp? 120w tube would have no problem over riding an airplane at 3 o clock.
Guitars
Amps
The EQ might be a good call; come to think of it I don't think I've legitimately EQ'd at loud volumes. The settings change a bit for each song in our set, but ball park I'd say lows and highs around 1 o'clock with the mids at about 9 o'clock. The amp is a solid state by the way.

And to Shredding, you called it; a cluttered basement. So I guess my check list will be EQ, checking my amp in different rooms, and if necessary a volume talk with the band. Like trashedlostfdup said CL has some good deals but I'd like to avoid spending money at all costs (corny pun intended).
Rock On

Quote by Shard Heilia

Quote by Thrace
120w 2x12 combo will be about the same volume as a 120w head w/ 4x12 cabinet (it will be slightly louder but NOT worth the upgrade).

from your settings i'd have to say turn up your mids to 5 (12'oclock) and give that a try. if you're using the 'highest gain' setting on your crate im guessing there is a 'shape' knob. The shape knob is similar to a presence knob from my experience so try playing with that as well.

p.s. the crate you have (if its an older crate) is probably made in USA and is going to be much better quality than the crate flexwave which is made overseas. again, don't by a flexwave halfstack because volume-wise its barely louder and the quality is going to be worse than your current amp. if you really want the extra volume you'll probably have to move on to a tube amplifier (or some super high wattage SS's might help).
Quote by AkiraSpectrum
from your settings i'd have to say turn up your mids to 5 (12'oclock) and give that a try. if you're using the 'highest gain' setting on your crate im guessing there is a 'shape' knob. The shape knob is similar to a presence knob from my experience so try playing with that as well.

Took the words right out of my mouth. If you dig the mid scooped sound you can boost the other knobs a bit too.
Hm I'll try the mids thing. For the shape knob though, I use my Metal Muff pedal run through the clean channel for distortion which doesn't have a shape or presence. Is there any way I should EQ the pedal in relation to the amp (i.e. matching the levels or something else)?

Also, thank you guys for all of this help.
Rock On

Quote by Shard Heilia

Quote by Thrace
Last edited by XxXshadowboyXxX at Sep 10, 2010,
Quote by XxXshadowboyXxX
Hm I'll try the mids thing. For the shape knob though, I use my Metal Muff pedal run through the clean channel for distortion which doesn't have a shape or presence. Is there any way I should EQ the pedal in relation to the amp (i.e. matching the levels or something else)?

Also, thank you guys for all of this help.

Hmm, I'd try putting all of of your settings on the amp at noon (Bass, Mid, Treb @ 5) and then adjusting your metal muff to your liking.