I was thinking about re-tubing a head ... it can only be switched to 6l6 (power amp), so I was wandering if it were actually possible to retube it to something else?

I was going to try: retubing a Peavey 3120 (which sounds great already) to something like: power amp: 6550 (original tubes are: EL34's).
Yeah. But the same can be said for DAR amps and other amps which use "weird" tubes...dammit I want a pair of KT120s..I might blow up my amp and burn my house down, but at least I'll go out in a blaze of glory
Last edited by C_majzer at Sep 9, 2010,
There are a few substitutions you can make (I can't remember off the top of my head) but in general, no.
Quote by corduroyEW
Cheap amps are "that bad". They suck up your tone like cocaine at Kate Moss' party.

I am Michael!
Yeah, 6L6's will fit in the EL34's socket, also the KT66's work in the same sockets, only thing is re-biasing the amp. One more thing, the KT66's are have a wide bottle on the tube, so if your tubes are spaced really close together then they prolly wont fit.
6550s are just another name for KT88s (so I'm thinking no, don't do that)

6CA7 and KT77s are derivatives of EL34s (so I'm thinking maybe)

I would just send Peavey and email and ask them what is acceptable and what the recommended bias would be.
Quote by 311ZOSOVHJH
6550s are just another name for KT88s (so I'm thinking no, don't do that)

6CA7 and KT77s are derivatives of EL34s (so I'm thinking maybe)

I would just send Peavey and email and ask them what is acceptable and what the recommended bias would be.

As long as the pins are the same I don't see why not.
Quote by ethan_hanus
As long as the pins are the same I don't see why not.

There is more to it than just the pins. Different tubes draw a different current. I'm not saying you can or you can't, my recommendation is to contact Peavey instead of guessing. If I wanted to throw KT88s in my EL34 amp for example I would have to perform a simple mod of replacing a resistor and rebiasing the amp - but I don't call that 'plug n play'.
generally no.

To get optimal tone you will generally need to use the tube the amp was designed for. Will also want to pick up a matched set (for power tubes), and also tubes of a certain grade.

Certain exceptions do exist, such as in the case of amps that have been designed to be switched between 6l6 and el34 (My carvin legacy has a switch for this), and similar tubes such as a switch between EL34s and E34Ls (This is will require a rebias).
has anybody heard of any company having the ability to obtain some kind of "custom shop" or just simply being able to make a custom amp head if requested??
Yeah. But the same can be said for DAR amps and other amps which use "weird" tubes...dammit I want a pair of KT120s..I might blow up my amp and burn my house down, but at least I'll go out in a blaze of glory
My Triple X, the 3120's predacessor has a bias switch for going from 6l6 toel34. yours might too.
Agile AL3000
Douglas WRL90
SX SR1 STD Plus
J&D Strat
Squier Tele
Sammick TR2
Douglas Draco
Peavey JSX
Bugera V5
TWANGED VJ