As I tried to change string gauge I loosened the springs too much and my floyd fell off. Is it easy to put back on and string it up or am I setup-****ed?
Gear:
Jackson DXMG
Schecter 006 Deluxe
BC Rich Revenge Warlock
Jasmine Acoustic
Peavey Vypyr 30
As long as you understand how floyds work you should be fine to set it up again.
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
You accidentally the whole Floyd Rose?

But seriously, it's not a big deal at all. If it worries you, I strongly suggest that you read the FR sticky at the top of the page, because chances are you don't know how to maintain an FR.

https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=614226 read up.
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
i assume its a floating floyd (meaning you can pull up and push down on the arm)
freak'n PITA adjustments you're gonna be making. you're gonna be a pro by the time you're done though
its like a balancing act on a playground sea-saw. with one skinny kid, and one fat kid
but you want to keep the see-saw board horizontal
so one kid has to move further back on the sea-saw (ie: the string tension)
and one kid has to move inwards on the sea-saw (ie: the fat kid)
but they aren't allowed to put their feet on the ground to steady themselves
keep an eye on the base plate. you want that to be parallel with the face of the guitar
so you have the new strings on, but you loosened the spring claw to compensate for the heavier gauge
ok, firstly, un-screw the fine-tuners on the floyd, and then screw them in a little bit (this is going to help later on when you lock the nut)
so lets say hypothetically that you tune to E-standard (you may in fact tune to drop-C or maybe even tune up to F-Standard. who knows)... anyway, this would be MY method (there are probably better out there)
i would tune to D-standard
and lets say that the base-plate is tilted backwards, into the recess cavity
so then i would tune up to D#-Standard
but then lets say the base plate comes up out of the recess too much and is tilting forward
then you tighten the spring claw screws until the base plate is horizontal (thereby stretching the strings to go sharper)
but then you check your tuning, and you're at E#-Standard (too sharp)
so then you have to loosen the spring screws a bit to slacken the strings
and then you check your tuning, and with just a few little adjustments, you're now at E-Standard
but wait, you took your eye off the base plate, and because you loosened the spring screws, the base plate is now tilted too far forward
so then you have to de-tune slightly
not too much, because even though you're de-tuning very slightly, AND the base plate is going towards level, you now can tighten the spring screws to both bring the strings to pitch, AND get the base plate to level

all of this is obviously just a description of how a hypothetical floating-floyd adjustment routine might occur

enjoy... you're gonna be up late tonight
Last edited by sethp at Sep 10, 2010,
I am not sure the word accident applies here.
Bhaok

The following statement is true. The proceeding statement is false.