Help. I have grown to hate mp3s after listening to them through my studio headphones. I tried a "lossless" audio ripping format but still noticed a bit of compression. Not as bad as mp3s, but played next to the cd there was a noticeable difference.

Any good programs? I don't care about size of the file, just 100% pure quality
Set whatever you use to copy CDs to rip them as wav files, that's lossless.
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
Quote by Zaphod_Beeblebr
Set whatever you use to copy CDs to rip them as wav files, that's lossless.

Are you sure? I thought the only lossless files were caleed FLAC or .ogg or somethin'.

The file sizes will be ****ING HUGE though.
Quote by GogglesVK
Are you sure? I thought the only lossless files were caleed FLAC or .ogg or somethin'.

Wav is uncompressed PCM, it's just an exact copy of the data that's on the CD.

You want lossless, you pay the price in file size, personally I'm fine with loosing a tiny bit of quality to be able to fit that much more on my HDD.
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
Last edited by Zaphod_Beeblebr at Sep 10, 2010,
In my video class I learned that the best format to rip CD's is AIFF. You can do that right in iTunes.
I'm rgrockr and I do not approve of this message.
Quote by rgrockr
In my video class I learned that the best format to rip CD's is AIFF. You can do that right in iTunes.

.aif is not the best, it is just what macs use
Quote by jrcsgtpeppers

If women can be annoyed there arent any women incongress I should be allowed to be pissed off there are no members of pink floyd or the beatles in congress.
If you use i-tunes, there's the Apple Lossless format, I use that one and to me it sounds like the C.D.
Yeah, iTunes lossless is actually pretty good. I've got some of my favorite albums in AIFF.
There may be times when it is impossible to prevent injustice, but there should never be a time when we fail to protest it.

Take a trip down the Scenic River

Call me Charlie.
Quote by GogglesVK

The file sizes will be ****ING HUGE though.

WAV files are the raw waveforms. FLAC files are also lossless, but they're compressed as well.

A 16-bit WAV with a 41kHz sample rate is going to sound identical to the original CD.
Quote by patriotplayer90
Help. I have grown to hate mp3s after listening to them through my studio headphones. I tried a "lossless" audio ripping format but still noticed a bit of compression. Not as bad as mp3s, but played next to the cd there was a noticeable difference.

Any good programs? I don't care about size of the file, just 100% pure quality

I'm curious, would you mind specifying what sound equipment/headphones you have?
UG FORUM
Your 21st Century Ant Farm
Corroborating Sturgeon's Law Since 2003
Quote by Seryaph
Yeah, iTunes lossless is actually pretty good. I've got some of my favorite albums in AIFF.

i use it too
WAVs, FLACs and AIFFs are all lossless formats. Thusly, they have large file sizes.

OGGs are like MP3s, but better quality for the same file size. Maybe because it's an open-source format. The only downside is that many players can't play OGG files.

MP3s are heavily compressed files. A 320 kbps MP3 file is compressed by 78%.
I'm sorry. but everyone in this thread is bullshitting.

Do you know that during the mastering process, the music is compressed/limited?

Even a 320kbps MP3 doesn't show any signs of compression. You must actually be looking at the waveform or something, because no one is able to tell the difference between a standard high-quality MP3 and a lossless copy.

Wasting your time.
Quote by Bearded_Seth

Even a 320kbps MP3 doesn't show any signs of compression. You must actually be looking at the waveform or something, because no one is able to tell the difference between a standard high-quality MP3 and a lossless copy.

Wasting your time.

Audio compression: reducing the dynamic range of the music.

Data compression: reducing the file size. Lossless: can retrieve exact original data. Lossy (e.g. mp3) lose some amount of the data in the compression process.

We're talking about the latter here, so the mastering compression limiting is nothing to do with it.
Quote by Liberation
Every time I see your avatar I want to slit your neck with a butterknife. Goddamn Pingu.
Quote by Bearded_Seth

Wasting your time.

Judging by your signature, I don't think countering your argument will be fruitful.
Quote by Bearded_Seth

Wasting your time.

this.
Geets:
Ibanez GSA60
Epiphone SG/LP custom
Schecter Damien elite 7
Fender Highway one Telecaster

Pedals:
Visual sound Jekyll and Hyde

Amp:
Peavey 6505
Marshall M412a cab
Peavey Classic 50

GO STEELERS!
It's quite a feat to hear the difference between lossless and CD quality. Even a lot of audiophiles can't do that. Anyway, since FLAC doesn't quite cut it for you, you're best off going for an exact rip, WAV.

| (• ◡•)| (❍ᴥ❍ʋ
Quote by Cianyx
It's quite a feat to hear the difference between lossless and CD quality.

I'm a little reluctant to believe it myself

And that's putting it lightly.
UG FORUM
Your 21st Century Ant Farm
Corroborating Sturgeon's Law Since 2003
Quote by Cianyx
It's quite a feat to hear the difference between lossless and CD quality.

Especially seeing as there is no difference. Hence the term 'lossless'...
Quote by Liberation
Every time I see your avatar I want to slit your neck with a butterknife. Goddamn Pingu.
Quote by Cianyx
See da pic

I did

Sure, it compresses the file, but in such a way that when you decompress it you get the exact original back again. It's the same as putting something in a zip file, it compresses the data, but you always get the exact original back.

EDIT: I hope I'm not coming across as an ass, I don't mean to.
Quote by Liberation
Fair enough. I come across as an ass all the time, but I usually make an effort to
| (• ◡•)| (❍ᴥ❍ʋ
I had a fantastic tutorial to do exactly what you're after. Sadly what.cd is down at the moment. Whenever they get their shit sorted I'll hit you up on UG or whatever and post you the link/details.
Gear
Bugera 6262 Head
Harley Benton G212 Vintage
Ibanez RGA 121 Prestige
ESP LTD DJ600
Fender USA Stratecaster
Maxon O808
TC Electronic Flashback Delay
ISP Decimator
MXR 10 Band EQ
Boss T-U3 Tuner Pedal
Quote by Bearded_Seth

Wasting your time.

Yep, I've just done a comparison between MP2, WMA lossless, and WAV and could barely hear any difference, listening to them with decent Sennheiser headphones as well of course
Hi! I'm Andrew, and when I have a bubble in my throat I sound like Alan Rickman!

I have the BEST Jizz Face on UG!

My YouTube Channel (slowmotion stuff!): www.youtube.com/wannabeguitarlegend