What chords are better for a sad mood? I've heard minor chords are generally better for darker moods. Also I do realize it all depends on your creativity, but I need somewhere to start.
Quote by matheson2491
What chords are better for a sad mood? I've heard minor chords are generally better for darker moods. Also I do realize it all depends on your creativity, but I need somewhere to start.

That's a very vauge question but if you know how to make progressions try a D Dorian Progression. Dm FM Am Dm and have the chords play over your melody to keep the musical direction.

I have a piece on my profile I wrote with this exact progression; "Notes that Carry (w/Strings)" take a look if you want an idea of what I'm talking about.
Everything is divisible by metal- Michael Angel Batio
Last edited by Wing00 at Sep 10, 2010,
Quote by SlackusMaximus
E Harmonic Minor

That's not a chord that's a scale. If you wanted to impose the notes of the E Harmonic Minor Scale you'd want a E, G, B, C#, D# which would be really akward...

Sorry for the double post.
Minors really are the way to go. I find A Minor to be especially useful in setting a sad mood. You almost always want to have one Major in the progression, though, to set the sound of the Minors apart. Otherwise, if you use all Minors, you're basically writing in power chords anyway.
Quote by Winter Sky
Minors really are the way to go. I find A Minor to be especially useful in setting a sad mood. You almost always want to have one Major in the progression, though, to set the sound of the Minors apart. Otherwise, if you use all Minors, you're basically writing in power chords anyway.

A power chords contains no 3rd making it very empty sounding... Playing all minor chords can be very well recieved if you know what you're doing.
Last edited by Wing00 at Sep 10, 2010,