Im having some real problems with my Epiphone Les Paul. Various notes from the 12th fret and beyond are muted when I play them. These notes occur in many of the solos I am trying to learn and its really frustrating when they dont ring out. I also think some of them are getting worse, for example the 15th fret on the b string mutes when I bend it but I'm nearly sure its worse now than it was yesterday. Is there ANY solution for this or am I better off just buying a Gibson? Do these problems occur with Gibsons? I dont wanna put loads of money into getting it repaired when I could try and start saving for a Gibson. It really puts a bummer on a solo when even one note doesnt ring out, especially when its a certain note of the solo!

help
Sounds like your action is too low, so notes are choking out. Raise the action and also check the neck relief, the setup sticky up the top in the EG forum should give you all the info you need.
You either have a bow in your neck or very worn out frets.

Look down your guitar neck from the headstock to the last fret, check and see how straight it is. You could have a bow resulting in frets past 12-14 are fretting out.
Probably low action, especially if its happening at the 15th fret or beyond, as the bow doesn't really curve that far down. I have an Epiphone LP Goth and used to have that problem on the thin E string, it would mute or hit a wrong note because when i would press it down, it would touch a fret in front of it. Just raise the action til it stops doing it and you'll be ready to roll, no need to get a real Gibson just to fix that.
provided that the parts arent faulty, there is no reason why an epiphone cant play just as well as any gibson (except for facts like some gibsons are PLEK'ed...and features like that).

but in terms of standard guitars without custom shop details, most solid guitars should hold a nice action including epihpones.

if you raise your action a littel bit at at a time (its very sensitive, only little bits do huge differences) it will probably solve it. if not, i might require a truss rod adjustment.
okay, I adjusted the action on the first two strings, and the 15th fret of the B string is a little better when I bend it, although its still not as good as the other frets. But the the 12th and 19th fret of the high E string isnt getting better at all. Its really annoying especially the 12th fret because that note is used in a lot of the solos I'm learning. If I want it to ring out at all I have to bend it a little bit. Just to get things straight, is that how you change the action and intonation and all that stuff, just by turning the little screws? Sorry dont know much about the mechanics

And thanks for the replies
Any more replies?

This is killin me. Feel like robblin somethin so I can buy a new guitar lol
You can also change the action a little by adjusting the truss rod if the rod is bent one way or another. Use a level or a straightedge to figure if its even. If not, use an allen wrench on the headstock (right above the nut, you might need to remove the cover) to change the neck. Remember, it doesn't take too much, so be gentle. If you don't know what you're doing, you could bust the truss rod.
Quote by pielover375
So last year, I put some potatoes in this jar and forgot about them. Today, I found them, and when I opened the jar, there is a puddle at the bottom and it smells like alcohol. If I drink this, do you think I will die, or have I made potato vodka?
You need to understand how to setup a guitar is all.
A properly setup guitar can play well provided there are no underlying issues (design, materials or construction flaws). A good or even great guitar that is poorly setup will not play well.
The following is a general order of things but no instructions are provided.
The first thing to look at is neck relief (it needs an initial adjustmen to as close to straight as poosible,
Then string height is brought down to desired level (includes matching fingerboard radius as best as possible with more height on the lower strings to compensate for bigger string vibration pattern)
The adjust back and forth between string height and neck relief till buzzing is minimized with closest setting to desired string height.
Then intonation is adjusted as the other adjustments before this affect it.
Then adjust pickup height.
These steps are again general, there are proceedures on how to do each but one does affect the other.
Moving on.....
i have the same prob...with many friggin guitars...
well actually most are mentioned above....if it aint any of the above check the brigde etc